Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Central Ma. Riders?

Central Ma. Riders?

I'm going to be moving to Oxford in September, and I've been researching the area for mountain biking, from what the woman tells me, we are close to some dams and a place called Greenbriar. It looks like all I need is a dirtybike and a permit, but is it really that simple? I live towards the cape now, so there is no place to ride. I'm going to be on Dana Rd, and the woman's father says if i go across the st (rt 12 maybe?) i can get to some pits and they let dirtbikes on the trails. I'm psyched! Now for my questions. Is it only for dirtbikes or are quads cool too? Are the trails better suited for quads or dirtbikes? and how do you go about getting a permit, and are there any groups of older, non speed freaks that ride for fun I could possibly meet up with once in a while? Thanks!
    -bryan

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Central Ma. Riders?

ya i used to live in oxford. Lots of great dirt bike trails pretty much right down the road from u. Completely legal. easiest access is off of clara Barton Rd just take your first left off it and there will be a parking area pretty much directly under the powerlines.

www.bostonmoto.com
    2009 Zx-6r--17,680 miles and counting!!
    2008 ZZR600 - - - 10,268 miles totaled
    Ride to live, live to ride

i used to mountain bike in oxford all the time..(im a native to the town) pm me or give me a call and i can tell you a bunch of hotspots

Degsy: "i never had red hair"

some people crash because it is out of their control
    others crash because They are out of control

http://www.landricscustoms.com

you're psyched, Hodges Village Dam is the place your g/f dad is talking about. the USACE manage the area (rangers were always super cool to me) get a dirt bike, a yellow plate and enjoy the trails.

theres a thread somewhere in this sub-forum about new trails they were burning in late last season. i havent been in years, it can be small, but it was always fun. the stuff i rode was more single-track'ish so i'm not sure ATVs/quads are allowed. the USACE site should have more info and maps. dirty bikes need to stay on one side of the river only as the other side is mtb and horse trails.

Beta 200RR

forgot to add... here's some info for the yellow plate. i think Bhavesh has a great thread somewhere with all this info in one spot.

http://www.mass.gov/dcr/recreate/orv.htm

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dle/elereg.htm

Beta 200RR

So, to bring an old thread back to life...
    Just got into the new property this week, and did some exploring. We have about 8 acres behind us which already seem to have some off road ( about quad width) trails, including a bridge that starts on our yard and goes over a creek into the woods! Talked to a neighbor who said it's owned by a local company who has no problem with people riding on it, and it's been used by the neighborhood years without issue. I've looked into some local places to ride, and it seems like Hodges is my only safe bet, but it's dirtbike only, no 4wd vehicles allowed. Anybody on here know of any other riding spots for quads besides behind my house? Or is the riding in Hodges so good it's worth me buying a dirtbike too? Thanks again for any help!
    -bryan

Buy a dirt bike and give me a call! I am close by and getting something dirty to play with today! I just need to get it Reg'd.

Rides: 13 Hyperstada, 09 SFV650, 97 CBR 900RR
    www.tailofthedragon.com
    RIP A.B. RIP BEET, I Ride in Leathers because I would rather sweat than Bleed...

I now have a hitch, a trailer, and a KTM ... I am down to ride any time. Lets get some rides going!

Quote Originally Posted by bryco13 View Post
    So, to bring an old thread back to life...
    Just got into the new property this week, and did some exploring. We have about 8 acres behind us which already seem to have some off road ( about quad width) trails, including a bridge that starts on our yard and goes over a creek into the woods! Talked to a neighbor who said it's owned by a local company who has no problem with people riding on it, and it's been used by the neighborhood years without issue. I've looked into some local places to ride, and it seems like Hodges is my only safe bet, but it's dirtbike only, no 4wd vehicles allowed. Anybody on here know of any other riding spots for quads besides behind my house? Or is the riding in Hodges so good it's worth me buying a dirtbike too? Thanks again for any help!
    -bryan
    Hey Bryan, me and the wife and one of my friends go to Hodges on a weekly basis with the dirty bikes. Enough trails to keep ya busy for a couple hours

unfortunately ATV's don't fare well for legal riding areas in central MA

the only legal state forests are beartown, october mt, and pittsfield; and they're all in western MA

the "tolerated" places aren't posted here on NESR, so unless you find out about some places by word of mouth, or you don't mind just riding in the area near your house, I'd recommend a dirt bike for Hodges/franklin/wrentham/free town/and crow hill

Ok So I have the Dirty toy now, Bought Sheppo's 86 KDX200 for short $!

Thing runs great! I just need to get it legal...

Rides: 13 Hyperstada, 09 SFV650, 97 CBR 900RR
    www.tailofthedragon.com
    RIP A.B. RIP BEET, I Ride in Leathers because I would rather sweat than Bleed...

Now, for my next question. Is there any good dealers of used dirtbikes in the area? I see there are some just over the border in CT. And of course the big place in Auburn, but is it better to buy from them or a private deal? I'm looking for something for the woods only, And while i don't need anything crazy fast, I need something fairly strong to pull my fat ass around, year/stroke/cc/make not so important (might be showing my lack of knowledge on dirtbikes here...), good condition without needing too much work would be ideal. Thanks!
    -bryan