Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Dirty bike options

Re: Dirty bike options

if this is full working order, it would be an option:

03 yamaha yz125 - $900 (maynard)

Quote Originally Posted by craigslist
    need this bike gone by friday. bike is mint starts first kick. needs nothing trannys going in my truck hate to sell but it is what it is. first to see the bike will buy it,
    call or text with any questions
    1-978-790-1480

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by breakdirt916; 02-09-10 at 08:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast_Eddie View Post
    Josh, when you save enough money to actually buy a bike, let me know. I have been considering buying a 200 XC-W this spring. I would like to sell my 2002 YZ125 to sombody I know. It's in almost new condition. It's not that I didn't ride it, I rode it a lot. When any part wasn't perfect, I replaced it. The entire top and bottom end were replaced the week before I bought it (1 season ago). All bearings except the linkage were replaced this summer. New FMF Q silencer and correct jetting. Rear shock re-valved for woods by GMD (I swapped it from my YZ250 when I sold it) Front was already done by FC when I got it. I Removed 1 hs shim from the base valve and it was perfectly matched to the rear.

There are pictures in this thread. http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...6-09-pics.html
    now THIS is a bike that has pretty much everything done on it

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    My point is that FC is a bigger company and you don't get a chance to talk to the guy who is working on your suspension.
    Do you have experience with this? When I had my suspension done through them they were quite helpfull. Gave them a call when I got the suspension back for a few questions and were there to answer everyone with no hesitation. Curious.....

Here you go Kurlon, the perfect bike for you. It is all ready set up for ice and it is in your neck of the woods.

http://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/1595623401.html

2004 Honda VTR
    1998 Honda VTR (Track Bike )
    1990 Honda CB-1
    1973 Yamaha RD350
    http://www.ftmsnh.com

another thing to look for is all the bearings on used bikes. I'm guessing most people on craigslist don't lube them at all

-suspend the front wheel off the ground and rotate the bars left to right: if it operates intermittently and drags, you might need new steering head bearings
    -for both wheels: grab them, and pull them forward and backwards to check the wheel bearings
    -suspend the rear wheel off the ground and lift the wheel/swing arm off the ground - if they flop around loosely you might need new pivot linkage bearings (and this assumes they were intact enough to avoid the need for machining the openings)
    -when pulling on the rear wheel, lift and wiggle it to inspect the swing arm bearings

these are the bearings should be lubed frequently by the previous owner, and once they're toast, cost ~$220 in parts and ~$220 in labor to swap (assuming you've pulled all the parts off the bike and dropped them off)

my linkage pivot didn't even have the inner part of the bearing or the ball bearings at all! all I could see were remnants of the bearing's outer "ring" and a spacer

if you buy a bike with "everything done on it", you can avoid having all this done after you buy it

Last edited by breakdirt916; 07-07-10 at 09:44 AM.

After riding FTMS's YZ250 and LRRS313's YZ450F... I think I'm going to put dirt wheels on my 520 and rock it in the dirt. The motor won't hold up road racing in it's current state, but it should do just fine with me putting around in the dirt. Save up for an overhaul in the winter and a return to LRRS next spring...

My other thought was a 1995 Suzuki RM-X 250 I found locally. It appears to be in good shape, only thing I spotted is the head stem needs to be tightened. Headlight and tail light and a kickstand, could dual sport it... Dealer wants $1600 though which seems way high?

Wirelessly posted (BB Tour: BlackBerry9630/4.7.1.61 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I think I'd go with the 520. Cheaper option for you, and get even more seat time on it so you feel more comfortable on it. Buying a 15 year old dirt bike just seems like asking to spend a lot of money.

-Brian
    15 S-Works Venge

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    After riding FTMS's YZ250 and LRRS313's YZ450F... I think I'm going to put dirt wheels on my 520 and rock it in the dirt. The motor won't hold up road racing in it's current state, but it should do just fine with me putting around in the dirt. Save up for an overhaul in the winter and a return to LRRS next spring...

My other thought was a 1995 Suzuki RM-X 250 I found locally. It appears to be in good shape, only thing I spotted is the head stem needs to be tightened. Headlight and tail light and a kickstand, could dual sport it... Dealer wants $1600 though which seems way high?
    1600 for a 95? wow

I have a 2006 RMZ250 for 2300 for sale, great condition, barely used, all stock

That seems very high to me. The guy I bought mine off of was asking $1400.

2004 Honda VTR
    1990 Honda CB-1
    1973 Yamaha RD350

I checked, NADA lists 'clean retail' as $950. They have a similar vintage DRZ 250 they want $900 for, I'd be half tempted to wave $800 under their nose for RM-X in cash and call it good. Going to see just how much it's going to cost to make my Kabooom dirtable first though. Need wheels, dirt front brake system, clutch slave and a clutch pack... if it gets to cost too much I'll look for a complete machine instead and tackle the KTM one bit at a time.

Anyone know the ballpark cost for a set of springs, front and rear for a KTM? My 520 is WAY too stiff for me as is on pavement, it's going to be a rock on dirt.

$1600 for a 1995? I think they must be on crack. I'll sell you my 2002 YZ 125 for $1300. Putting the dirt wheels on the KTM is great plan though. A big bore KTM is on of the best woods bikes ever and there is almost no wear on the valves running below 8000 rpm.
    Ask PK about springs. The stock 250 XCF springs that they swap out at GMD might work for you.

Last edited by Fast_Eddie; 04-11-10 at 08:51 AM.

This one is not to far from me if you are interested

WR200

2004 Honda VTR
    1990 Honda CB-1
    1973 Yamaha RD350

So, looks like the WR200 was only imported in very small numbers... 238lbs dry, 6 speed, motor is supposed to be dead silent and lugs like a four stroke with no real 'hit' when wound up. Supposedly based on a YZ125 chassis? Think it'd hold up to my attempting to jump it?

The 1995 RMX weighs the same, I'm assuming it's a bit more 'mx' biased?

I would think that the RMX is the same thing as the WR, both being 2-stroke woods machines. I would guess that the suspension is on the soft side since it is set up for the woods, but I see no reason why you couldn't stiffen it up a bit.

2004 Honda VTR
    1990 Honda CB-1
    1973 Yamaha RD350

The WR should have the same suspension as every other modern Yamaha MX bike built before 2005. 46mm KYB forks and matching rear shock.

The woods bikes that cheaped out on the forks were the DR250/ 350 and the KDX all years except 93/94 which had the blue 46mm KYB on the 250. There is a cult following of riders who like the KDX anyways, but not on track.

Given my weight, 'soft' is a relative term. : ) Have to see how things look on Wed after my paycheck hits, piled on a crapton of oncall this week.

2004 Honda VTR
    1990 Honda CB-1
    1973 Yamaha RD350

2004 Honda VTR
    1990 Honda CB-1
    1973 Yamaha RD350

Quote Originally Posted by FTMS View Post
    Oh, can you snag that for me if I paypal you the cash?

Edit: Ah hell, you're not much closer than I am. Anyone in the Concord area mind picking that up for me to secure it, seems like one hell of a deal to let slip by.

Last edited by Kurlon; 04-29-10 at 02:49 PM.

The voicemail box is full for that 250, wonder why? Something tells me it's already gone, which sucks 'cause that's just the kind of deal I need, d-oh!

I can grab that. Get a hold of him and let me know what happens.

2004 Honda VTR
    1990 Honda CB-1
    1973 Yamaha RD350

Still haven't been able to get a hold of the guy, goes to VMail, and the box is full.

damn and if that's a 91 it's the sweet handling Honda frame too.

-Brian
    15 S-Works Venge

Looks like now his phone is on (rings longer) but he's ignoring it. VMail box is still full.

2002 YZ125

I think his price is high but you might be able to work a deal.

2004 Honda VTR
    1990 Honda CB-1
    1973 Yamaha RD350