Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Mototown is a go...yay

Lifer

Re: Mototown is a go...yay

Quote Originally Posted by seth399 View Post
    another option for people, got this email:

Forget that last minute Christmas shopping - the lines, the traffic, the hassles...

Come ride Mototown for only $40 for 3 hours! (12-3)

That Session is wide open - email nemx.mototownusa@yahoo.com to hold your spot - only 40 spots left

davo
    when's this for? Tomorrow?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I think so. Email him. Davo is a really cool guy.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by hessogood View Post
    when's this for? Tomorrow?
    Oops I thought I had xmas eve in there...ya that is for tomorrow (Thursday)

I just oiled a new filter in my basement and only went outside to garage to take out old one/clean airbox and my hands almost fell off it is so frickin cold...wow

LRRS #399
    MX #505

Ya, I'm gonna wait for the mercury to top 30 before I prep my bike. It's still filthy from the last dirt ride...

Paul_E_D

Im going Tuesday if anyone else is going to be there or needs a ride.

Im up in Northern MA (Lowell)

Just thought I'd mention - based on how crowded it was and the amount of time on track I think $40 for 2 hours was actually a very fair deal. I like the price structure a lot.

I do think it would be a good idea for them to perhaps offer a beginner or novice session once every couple weeks on a weekend, or put a small jump in the kiddie section for people to learn how to jump - I would have felt way more comfortable and not like I was in everyones way if there was a place to work out the basics first... or if there was track time without the fear of being in peoples way or getting run over.

I can see if there were all 40 bikes out on the track it would be chaos for a beginner - but with the number of people on track at any given time it wasn't bad at all... and I sure got enough track time - I'm SORE.

Anyone know of a learn to motocross, learn to jump, etc course or any motocross instruction possibilities - I feel like having someone go over where I should be positioned and all that would make for far less suckage on my part. ???

Lifer

Seems like hitting the late in the day sessions we could have the track pretty much to ourselves. When we left at 4 it didin't look like anyone would be riding the rest of the day. Wish I could find someone to give me a little instruction though. Just some tips and techniques.

Seems like hitting the late in the day sessions we could have the track pretty much to ourselves. When we left at 4 it didin't look like anyone would be riding the rest of the day. Wish I could find someone to give me a little instruction though. Just some tips and techniques.
    I know a great coach. Keeps helping me out. Really only one instruction. Twist the throttle you pussy.

James

Quote Originally Posted by elissama101 View Post
    ...I would have felt way more comfortable and not like I was in everyones way if there was a place to work out the basics first... or if there was track time without the fear of being in peoples way or getting run over...
    well that makes the 2 of us...I went to crow hill MX once and feared getting creamed, and couldn't pass a kid on an XR80

1st gear warriors rolling jumps FTW!!

I too would be interested in going sometime. I also worry about being on the track with people way more experanced than me. If things can be rolled safely than I would def be game but I am not up for doubling and tripling jumps. I am going to keep reading this thread and maybe go a little later in the season.

Wirelessly posted (W760a: SonyEricssonW760a/R3CC Browser/NetFront/3.4 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 JavaPlatform/JP-8.3.1 UP.Link/6.3.1.20.06.3.1.20.0)

You can roll all of the jumps safely. I putted around in 1st the entire time.

Teaching MX is tough because it is so dynamic. There are good videos on the basics by Gary Semics and Shane Watts. Wattsy's vid is great because it has riding drills that I can practice anywhere. The semics stuff is more track specific, and doesn't really offer drills, just how tos. You can find a lot of semics stuff on youtube. I'd start with these two.

Local schools are good too. I took one at southwick. The best part was being able to break the track into small pieces and practice an obstacle or corner over and over without the rest of the track to confuse you.

Paul_E_D

RE: MX instruction, Robby Marshall holds classes at Crow Hill as well.

deeto and JustinMA took a course there and really liked it. same sort of 'break down the track into pieces' as Paul mentions but i think the Stimilon/Southwick sessions were cheaper and longer. Robby charges by the hour (if i remember correctly)

Beta 200RR

Lifer

So today was still fun but less worth it. They had a lot (maybe 8-10) of little kids so they split the sessions. What that means is you get 40 minutes less riding out of your two hours at the same price. That doesn't really seem fair to me.

Also the kids don't seem to get the rules as far as don't run the bikes in the building, they were reving the engines while sitting waiting to pull in, reving them while the cruised through the pit area, revving them while they decided how and where to park the bike. The fumes were horrble, along with a couple big bikes that weren't running smokeless oil.

The track was a bit more mild, or maybe I was just getting more comfortable. The last berm on the far side of the track was completely washed out, nothing really there. There was a huge rut on the double landing of one of the big table tops too that really sucked. And some pretty big rocks that I would have thought someone would toss to the side.

...along with a couple big bikes that weren't running smokeless oil...
    is that a rule?

I am just using the regular suzuki stuff

come to think of it...what are the rules for this place? I couldn't even open the website

Quote Originally Posted by elissama101 View Post
    Anyone know of a learn to motocross, learn to jump, etc course or any motocross instruction possibilities - I feel like having someone go over where I should be positioned and all that would make for far less suckage on my part. ???
    I've been bugging Jeff about doing a Penguin Day in the Dirt (aka Penguin Dirt School) for the folks in the roadracing/street community. His track would be perfect for it and from conversations with a few folks already it seems people would be interested. Obviously it'd cost a couple of bucks but nothing crazy. Jeff and his dirtriding crew are Expert/Pro level MX/Woods/Enduro/IceRacing in the NE area...

Along with a mx track he has a 8 mile woods loop as well. So the School could in theory cover MX and Woods...

Would ya'll be interested in that?

Boston --> San Diego

Wirelessly posted (W760a: SonyEricssonW760a/R3CC Browser/NetFront/3.4 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 JavaPlatform/JP-8.3.1 UP.Link/6.3.1.20.06.3.1.20.0)

Ya ax13 that is def something i would be interested in keep me utd if it looks like it could happen

Quote Originally Posted by a13x View Post

Put me on a list for this if it comes about.

2004 Honda VTR
    1998 Honda VTR (Track Bike )
    1990 Honda CB-1
    1973 Yamaha RD350
    http://www.ftmsnh.com

So today was still fun but less worth it. They had a lot (maybe 8-10) of little kids so they split the sessions. What that means is you get 40 minutes less riding out of your two hours at the same price. That doesn't really seem fair to me.

Also the kids don't seem to get the rules as far as don't run the bikes in the building, they were reving the engines while sitting waiting to pull in, reving them while the cruised through the pit area, revving them while they decided how and where to park the bike. The fumes were horrble, along with a couple big bikes that weren't running smokeless oil.

The track was a bit more mild, or maybe I was just getting more comfortable. The last berm on the far side of the track was completely washed out, nothing really there. There was a huge rut on the double landing of one of the big table tops too that really sucked. And some pretty big rocks that I would have thought someone would toss to the side.
    Bummer, I definitely don't think they should split groups with this structure. The thing works pretty well with no groups because so many people are just resting that the track is uncrowded making differing levels not a problem. Kids on little bikes <80 should be limited to a certain session and it should be known ahead of time that they will split it.

P.S. Alex, I'd love to do a penguin MX day.

Paul_E_D

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Bummer, I definitely don't think they should split groups with this structure. The thing works pretty well with no groups because so many people are just resting that the track is uncrowded making differing levels not a problem. Kids on little bikes <80 should be limited to a certain session and it should be known ahead of time that they will split it.

P.S. Alex, I'd love to do a penguin MX day.
    Agreed, or like Eliss said, give them an hour session sometime in between. With this structure of 20 minutes on 20 minutes off I was pretty much the only one ever resting so everyone was on the track the whole time.

Lifer

And yes i'd be interested in a MX school.

Quote Originally Posted by a13x View Post
    I've been bugging Jeff about doing a Penguin Day in the Dirt (aka Penguin Dirt School) for the folks in the roadracing/street community. His track would be perfect for it and from conversations with a few folks already it seems people would be interested. Obviously it'd cost a couple of bucks but nothing crazy. Jeff and his dirtriding crew are Expert/Pro level MX/Woods/Enduro/IceRacing in the NE area...

Along with a mx track he has a 8 mile woods loop as well. So the School could in theory cover MX and Woods...

If its the same as it was a few years ago then its a good track for newbies. Its fun to ride and all the jumps were rollable.

James

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Alex,

Put me down as interested in the Penguin Dirty School.

Joel

Jeffs track kinda freaked me out, not the jumps or anything it just wasn't a track I would want to try and go full out on...but I'm a bitch

LRRS #399
    MX #505

Hrmm... part of me likes the Penguin MX idea, part of me thinks it's creepy...

Pay to hang out with Jeff road racing, he'll even talk to you! Pay some more and he'll 'lend' you a bike and treat you like a pampered team mate.

As an added bonus, you can now pay to have Jeff hang out with you at a dirt track!

Plans are in the works for Penguin TGIF runs, but pricing hasn't been set yet...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast