Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Newbie dirt bike advise

Newbie dirt bike advise

Ok I'm in the market to get my first dirt bike. Here is the scoop, my daughter (7 yrs old) wants to get a motorcycle (ok Dad does too). It seems like a good way to introduce her to riding by getting a dirt bike. Well of course that would mean I would need one too . However I know NOTHING about dirt bikes or how to ride them!

So here are my initial questions:
    1) What bikes would you recommend for my daughter?

2) What bikes would you recommend for me?

3) Where do you find out about places to ride? Trails, pits... power line roads etc.?

4) Recommended gear i.e.- Boots, Helmets, gloves, chest protectors and whatever else?

5) Are these even the right questions?

Thanks in advance.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    M900ie
    SS750
    69 gas gusslin' Chevy
    LRRS EX #418

Re: Newbie dirt bike advise

For your Daughter... Low seat height... automatic...

For you... a 250/450 4 stroke. But I would lean toward the 250...

Gear... Definately get motocross specific boots. Helmet and gloves go without saying... the chest protector is really only for "roost" ( I don't wear one anymore... but then again I don't get "roosted" )

Hope that helps

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Gear... Definately get motocross specific boots. Helmet and gloves go without saying... the chest protector is really only for "roost" ( I don't wear one anymore... but then again I don't get "roosted" )

Hope that helps
    I'm guessing you've never taken a branch across the chest while trail riding You'll rethink that only for roost comment if you did..

Good helmet, goggles, chest protector or sixsixone type armor, elbow pads, jersey with built in padding, gloves, riding pants, knee pads, MX sox, and a good pair of MX boots.

For the bike, obviously a 50cc automatic clutch 4-stroke for your doughter, Yamaha TT-R50 or Honda CRF 50 would be my choices in that order.
    For you, All depends wht type of riding you plan on doing? Sand pits/MX or trails? 250-450 four stroke for trails IMO. The KTM EXC line are what you want to look for

Yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    I'm guessing you've never taken a branch across the chest while trail riding You'll rethink that only for roost comment if you did...
    Some of us are just tougher... (or a lil masochistic) Or maybe I just have a lil extra padding...

Put yeah... I try not to take a branch in the chest. (Or rocks or roost, etc) But the armor/padding is a good idea.

Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

I am going to say the 250 would be a better first dirtbike. You can dial in the suspension and really fly on one of them in the woods. A 450 is borderline sadomasochistic in the tight and twisties. I had a YZ426f and move back to a 250 and I am smoother and faster than the big thumper.

Lots of options for your daughter, all the big 4 make nice entry level bikes.

As for gear +1 on the roost/branch protection. Also with out saying MX boots, gloves, helmet, pants ( for the padding ) and for her maybe Elbow and wrist protection.

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

I wear a lot more gear riding dirt than I did racing on pavement. I just got a EVS evolution neck brace, and I think it is foolish to ride without on at this point. head first crashes are common on dirt... Enough said.

I wear knee pads, hip pads, boots, chest protector/neckbrace (integrated) and gloves. I forgo the elbow pads because they contribute to arm pump. I figure I'm safer with hands that function as opposed to pads on my elbows...

Paul_E_D

For your daughter, I'd sit her on a CRF50, and then a CRF70. Go with whichever she fits better, biased towards the 70... She's going to grow, and will be able to stay on the 70 longer... and if she doesn't like it Dad can have a toy he'll be more comfortable on. : )

The 70 doesn't come with an adjustable throttle stop like a 50, but they are geared crazy tall which keeps them in check quite a bit as is. To further clamp them down, just put a short piece of fuel line over the throttle cable in the carb, between the cap and slide. Later on as she gets better, you can shorten the artificial throttle stop, remove it, shorten the gearing with a 13 tooth front sprocket, replace the air box with a pod filter and rejet to match... and the 70 will have 'grown up' with her over a decent range.

Lifer

For your daughter - make sure she can touch the ground good with both feet - maybe not flat footed because she will grow. Depending on your daughter - you may want to go with a clutch. If she's coordinated she'll be able to learn it quickly.

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

Goodbye Sweet Dreams BLACK SQUIRREL's Avatar

Some of us are just tougher... (or a lil masochistic) Or maybe I just have a lil extra padding...

Put yeah... I try not to take a branch in the chest. (Or rocks or roost, etc) But the armor/padding is a good idea.
    When Was the Last time you were Riding a dirtbike in the dirt?

Zip Tie Alley Racing #444

Signature edit by Tricky mike

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK SQUIRREL 441 View Post
    When Was the Last time you were Riding a dirtbike in the dirt?
    This past summer...

When was the last time you rode a dirtbike OUTSIDE?

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

we went yesterday, tough guy

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103
    PPS | Dunlop | Boston Moto | Woodcraft & Armour Bodies | 35 Motorsports | Pit Bull | K&N

Goodbye Sweet Dreams BLACK SQUIRREL's Avatar

This past summer...

Every Weekend since Daytona

Zip Tie Alley Racing #444

Signature edit by Tricky mike

Her first bike, try out the 50s or 70s (I think she may be too tall for the 50).

Your first dirt bike, IMO maybe even a Honda CRF230. The 250X is a great bike, but it's on the serious side. Since you're just getting into it, there's plenty of used stuff out there. Stay away from the 400, 426, 450 range. Way too big for trail riding with your daughter - these are for MX / Supermoto, borderline too big for trails in New England.

Helmet, goggles, gloves, boots are a must - obviously. I always ride with a chest protector, but I'm always getting roosted and taking branches to the nips. Never worn a neck brace, but would have liked one in 2004. Seems like everyone's wearing them now, probably a good idea.

Whatever you get, first thing to do is wheelie it over backwards in front of your daugher....

Joel Taylor
    LRRS/CCS #719

Thanks for all the advise so far! Especially from Joel "Whatever you get, first thing to do is wheelie it over backwards in front of your daugher....", I'll make sure and show her what not to do... .

I'm down in SC & NC until Sunday so the responses will be few and far from me.

On the other side though I might be bringing back a 70 that one of the extended family members kids has outgrown. This will be simplified due to my trailer being half full on the way down (with my street bike).

Doing a 300+ mile ride in the mountains today with my dad, it's a little cool (50's to 60) but warmer than back home!

Cheers al, keep the advise (and bike leeds if any) coming, plus hope you all (southern accent there) have a Happy Thanksgiving.

Steve

M900ie
    SS750
    69 gas gusslin' Chevy
    LRRS EX #418

For your daughter it depends on how tall she is. Obviously since she has not ridden a bike before Id stick with bikes that have an automatic clutch. Its one less thing to learn at once. Honda and Suzuki make a nice 70. The Suzuki has an electric start which is very nice. I dont know if the Honda has one or not. Makes life a bit easier when you fall on a hill. If she isnt all that tall the Suzuki or the Honda CRF50 is the way to go. The seat height on the Honda is at 21.6 inches and the Suzuki DRZ70 is at 22 inches. The CRF70 is 26.1 inches. I got my first bike when I was 6. It was a Honda Z50 and it lasted years. Id probalby still have it if it wasnt stolen.

For your first bike. The CRF230F is nice. They take a beating. Its a nice calm bike to ride. If you think youre going to get into it and want to go riding with some of us clowns then you might want something with a little more pep. A 125 2 stroke is a blast to ride. They go good in the woods. Youre more then welcome to take mine out for a ride. Some of the bigger 4 strokes are fun too and a little more forgiving in the power range.

As for the gear. I wear a ton of gear. Youre going to want boots, a good helmet, chest protector, elbow and knee guards, googles, gloves, dirt bike pants and shirt. Most of the stuff is pretty cheap. A good helmet can cost you a nice sum of cash and boots can get pricey as well. You can probably pick up a lot of the gear used and really cheap.

Keep an eye open here for a bike and gear. Usually some good stuff at good prices.
    http://www.nedirtbikes.com/content/default.aspx

James

When I was 7 I started on a Z50, now an XR50. I'd go with a 50 of Handa, Kawi or Yamaha. For you, and woods bike such as a CRF230.
    http://powersports.honda.com/motorcy...delId=CRF230F9

For gear, definately get her full gear, boots, elbow and knee pads, chest protector, gloves and helmet, along with the pants and shirt. The moto-x pants are needed to help hold the knee pads in place. Regular jeans will not fit over them and they do not stay in place if you try to strap them on over pants.

Chances are, if you are only riding with her, you don't need full gear, but I would at least get boots and helmet at a minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster View Post
    Thanks for all the advise so far! Especially from Joel "Whatever you get, first thing to do is wheelie it over backwards in front of your daugher....", I'll make sure and show her what not to do... .
    Just trying to help ya out bro. I got my 1st mini bike (Honda MiniTrail 50) for my 7th Xmas. My father immediately took it outside, ripped it down the driveway, and crashed it. Not too sure about letting him ride the Hyper......

Joel Taylor
    LRRS/CCS #719

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster View Post
    Doing a 300+ mile ride in the mountains today with my dad, it's a little cool (50's to 60) but warmer than back home!

Steve
    This plus some other roads were VERY fun!

Caesars head
    176 Saluda grade
    1151 tight and fun!

Plus lots more! Great times in the south for Turkey day!

M900ie
    SS750
    69 gas gusslin' Chevy
    LRRS EX #418

Mr. Brewmaster,

If you're interested in a KTM, I "know a guy." PM me or give me a call!

Nate