Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Pittsfield Forest (MA) Aug 4/5

Virgin dirt ride

I have basically ZERO dirt experience, this sounds like a good ride for me to jump on. I'm hoping my version of "EASY" is the same as yours. I bought a DRZ 400 (GREAT deal from a NESR member) in February and have burned a set of knobbies off on the road but can't find anyone who'll hit the woods with me. And one of the few times I did hit the woods by myself I buried the bike in a BIG puddle. So if you guys/girls don't mind waiting for me to catch up every once in a while, I'm in.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Sure, Get fresh knobs and look for the only group of non quads in the lot!

Paul_E_D

This will definitely be a good ride for you... and we have no problem waiting if we have to.

As mentioned above, we can always split into two groups later in the day to give those that want to "run free" go for it.

With the expected temperatures and this being my first time back on the dirt... I'm fine sticking to the easy stuff.

Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

love to go, but i dont think im gonna be around til later sunday afternoon... and i have no vehicle unless my dad wanted to tag along.. thanks for the invite though!!

next time though... any of your ride in southampton or beartown state forest? southamptons pretty easy, beartown is really technical but fun.. if you call riding up and down cliffs fun haha

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of Beartown either, but there's another ride planned there for Aug 19th or so...

What is the Southampton riding? I'd go there someday if you know the trails.

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

im trying to think of what its near... nothing really.. but its pretty easy lots of open trails maybe about a 2 hour ride or so but really fun.

Meaning 2 hours to get there? Or 2 hours of trails?

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

of trails... you get off the holyoke mall exit on 91 and go about 7 or 8 miles towards westfield up over some mountain... its right near a really good ice cream shop somewhere out there! i never drove when we went even though ive been a billion times so i didnt really pay attention to signs but ill find out and post up here tomorrow

easy enough ride for begginners but still fun for people with experience

shoot, and I live only about 5 mins from the Pittsfield St. Forest. I can get there without trailer... just fire up the bike and go go go ....

i will have to keep my open for more of these things.

Quote Originally Posted by 35racer View Post
    Yeah, I'm not a big fan of Beartown either, but there's another ride planned there for Aug 19th or so...

What is the Southampton riding? I'd go there someday if you know the trails.
    The only Southampton riding I know of is on private property. Or illegal watershed land.

A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. - John Stuart Mill

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Sure, Get fresh knobs and look for the only group of non quads in the lot!
    Will do! See ya Sunday morning.

Quote Originally Posted by tbonehedge View Post
    Will do! See ya Sunday morning.
    Be sure to carry a hydration pack with you. And enough tools & parts to fix a broken chain, flat tire, etc.

A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. - John Stuart Mill

Quote Originally Posted by ChR1s View Post
    Be sure to carry a hydration pack with you. And enough tools & parts to fix a broken chain, flat tire, etc.
    I'm going to be the only one in work boots, t-shirt/jeans, tail pack full of tools clanging around and riding my bike to the trails...... aren't I?

When I said zero dirt experience I guess I should have put zero dirt tools too. I'll do my best (and I'll bring a tow rope). I'll be hitting up a bike shop and give that credit card a workout tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by tbonehedge View Post
    I'm going to be the only one in work boots, t-shirt/jeans, tail pack full of tools clanging around and riding my bike to the trails...... aren't I?

When I said zero dirt experience I guess I should have put zero dirt tools too. I'll do my best (and I'll bring a tow rope). I'll be hitting up a bike shop and give that credit card a workout tomorrow.
    If you can, I suggest you really try to get some MX-specific boots. The fit should not be tight at all. Work boots just don't cut it when it comes to protecting vulnerable ankles. Foot injuries suck. Hard. There're plenty of rocks & roots out there that'd be more than happy to twist the foot into impossible directions.

And while you're there, definitely add some knee/shin guards to your shopping cart. The cheap ones will work fine for most riding.

+1 to Chris' post. the more gear you slather on the happier you will be after those inevitable diggers. good gear is more comfortable to spend a day riding in anyway.

looking forward to hooking up with you guys!

Beta 200RR

Thanks for the suggestions. With any luck, I'll be the one with the shiney new boots.

Pick up a Camelback for hydration while you're at it. Definately a worthwhile purchase. They sell them at bicycle shops.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Pick up a Camelback for hydration while you're at it. Definately a worthwhile purchase. They sell them at bicycle shops.
    Hey, the one thing I may NOT have to buy..... already got one of them. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ChR1s View Post
    The only Southampton riding I know of is on private property. Or illegal watershed land.

the road to get in is a public road but its private property we park so or so they tell us, but the guy that owns it has seen us out there and just told us basically dont be idiots and you can park here... but we got our ramps stolen from us last year (made for an intersting time getting the bikes in the truck) but we have since been parking in a field and noone has bothered us so far.

as long as you have plates they dont bother you

Quote Originally Posted by SarahLyndsey View Post
    the road to get in is a public road but its private property we park so or so they tell us, but the guy that owns it has seen us out there and just told us basically dont be idiots and you can park here... but we got our ramps stolen from us last year (made for an intersting time getting the bikes in the truck) but we have since been parking in a field and noone has bothered us so far.

as long as you have plates they dont bother you
    You think the owner of that private property wants his land publicized? Might be something to think about. "Selling out" a place is the easiest way to jeopardize access.

thats why we dont park there anymore

So, where's the map to this place?
    Also, why would a private property owner care if you had plates on your bike or not?

just the cops that go through there every now and then... they didnt care we were there since we both had registered bikes and there are a few roads you have to cross and although a cop probably wouldnt bother you if sitting there, it always looks better to have plates at least

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    So, where's the map to this place?
    as Tony mentioned.. . you head in the main entrance (see link/map below), drive by the little check-in shack, continue straight until you see the gravel parking area on your left, prob full of quads

Pittsfield State Forest
    1041 Cascade St. Pittsfield, MA 01201

Beta 200RR

Nice photo...

If anyone has these maps, please bring them. Mine went AWOL last year.

Sometimes they have them at the shack, but not always.

This should be a lot of fun...

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast