Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

A week vacation, and 4 days of trail riding in Maine

A week vacation, and 4 days of trail riding in Maine

Quickie report for 4 days in Maine, Monday - Thursday.

I had a friend come to visit from Finland for the week and figured we'd do some trail riding in Maine.

Arrive at camp Monday at 10am after a 6 1/2 hour road trip north. Things started out great once i hit the Ct/Mass line in I-395/290 with a flat tire on the trailer. of course all the tools are packed under the bikes and all the gear. 1/2 hour gone!
    Made it to the exit in Maine on the spare and decided to get a new one so we still had a spare. My ass is still sore for what they charged me, but such is the life when you need something in a pinch.

Day 1... Unpacked and set up camp quick and we were off on the trails. It had rained quite a bit so I was expecting to get wet. In the 34 mile trip to Moosehead lake I got completly soaked from the puddles. I alwmost felt bad walking into Kelly's Landing on the lake for a late lunch, but I'm sure they are used to it. Needless to say, the ride back to camp wasn't much better, only now it was much colder.
    68 miles for the first day. It was to wet to bother with my camera, so no pictures.

Day 2... A reasonably early start and the plan for the day was to head south. Lots of changes to trail sections over the winter and I got a bit confused in sections. Harmony was the target but I missed a few turns (no signs) and ended up adding 12 miles to the trip..which wasn't a bad thing. We gassed up in harmony and stopped in quick to visit my aunt, who then forced us to eat lunch
    Weather report said rain again so we left for the ride back. we made a quick stop at at the Kingsbury Dam.

Talk about perfect luck, just as it started to rain we came up on a new trail side shelter/picnic area. The skies opened up for a good half hour.
    Once it stopped, we got on the toys and made our way back to camp. 76 miles total for the day.

day 3... The prior day, my aunt had invited us back for supper which would be around 5:30pm. My plan was to do "the big loop" that Bob, Todd and myself tried last year but I knew with having to be back at 5:30, there wasn't time for it. So I decided to cut it a bit short and head into Bingham. Fair amount of miles but not like the big loop would have been. We ended up with 110 miles for the day, where the big loop would have been in the 150-160 mile range. We made it back to camp with about an hour to gather our stuff and head to my aunts.

Gas stop in Bingham..

Day 4...Had no set plan for the day other than to head home. We decided to pack up first thing and be on the way to avoid any rush hour traffic. Not a bad drive home, a little over 5 hours.
    Was home by about 3pm, cleaned the bike and quad, swapped the WR wheels to supermoto and went for a street ride so the day was saved with some 2 wheeled theropy

The end

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yamaha

Re: A week vacation, and 4 days of trail riding in Maine

wow, you must be the best friend in the world! That's one hell of a way to spend a 4th of July weekend visiting the northeast US, I hope he had fun

kickass ride report as usual, ME intrigues me: you can ride 110 miles w' the quad w'out hitting pavement? hmm...time for me to start thinking about a weekend trip

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    kickass ride report as usual, ME intrigues me: you can ride 110 miles w' the quad w'out hitting pavement? hmm...time for me to start thinking about a weekend trip
    Yes, you can ride most of those miles without pavement. On the long ride, it was just paved road crossings every now and then. Some of the rides though, do end up using paved sections to get to the towns. It's actually 4 miles of paved roads from my camp until we hit dirt, but's it's all legal and well marked as ATV use.

Yamaha

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

id love to meet up with you one of these years and do this. looks like fun

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Wife and I headed up the day that mark came home for 5 days in the same place .

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...9#post13407389

mark thanks again , we had a memorable weekend .

12 Vstrom 1000
    09 KLR 650
    09 Yamaha WR450F (street legal)

(hers)
    13 Vstrom 650ADV
    08 Yamaha WR250F(street legal )
    09 KLR650

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    id love to meet up with you one of these years and do this. looks like fun

You going to ride your SV1k?

KB

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

Quote Originally Posted by theothersean View Post
    Wife and I headed up the day that mark came home for 5 days in the same place .

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...9#post13407389

mark thanks again , we had a memorable weekend .
    Nice ride report Sean Sounds like you had some fun up there...and in much better conditions than we had. It's hard to beleive how fast things dry out up there!
    The overnight campout looked like a blast
    That oval track on the side of ITS 85 is always fun. Jani and I did about 20 laps around it non stop..talk about dizzy!

No problem on using the camp, you're welcomed to it anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by KB View Post
    You going to ride your SV1k?

KB
    There are very few poeple I'd lend a bike to, Oxx isn't one of them

Yamaha