Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Amesbury Police Chief Targets Loud Pipes

Amesbury Police Chief Targets Loud Pipes

The Town Common of Rowley had a front page article today on nouse pollution and traffic concerns caused by motorcycles. ..

Depicted in the article is a sport bike...
    The Amesbury police chief claims bikers use loud pipes to scare drivers..
    Also a concern apparently is large rides, (those ones we do for good causes) that cause disruption and noise complaints. .

How do these idiots get put in a position to regulate something they know so little about?

Article is on their site this morning:

http://www.thetowncommon.com/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    09 Ex500- totalled
    08 SV650s!!!

Cages: Ford Excursion
    Ford Mustang Gt
    Toyota Rav4

Re: Amesbury Police Chief Targets Loud Pipes

I feel like this article is directed more towards the Harley Types despite the picture in the article. Either way Rowley won`t get any more of my money. Thanks for posting this.

Banned
    Wirelessly posted

Your tax dollars at work.

Shhhhhh. Don't scare the sheeple. They're busy texting you know.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by e30addict; 08-29-13 at 06:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Manik View Post
    How do these idiots get put in a position to regulate something they know so little about?
    Welcome to America. This is true of just about every subject.

2006 DRZ400SM

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Manik View Post

[/url]
    How hard is it to understand loud noise? It ain't rocket surgery.

xxaarraa

Quote Originally Posted by stoinkythepig View Post
    How hard is it to understand loud noise? It ain't rocket surgery.
    I agree. If your de-catted, LOUD ass bike is being regulated, don't throw a fit like you have been wronged.

Don't get me wrong, I am equally a culprit. But I don't take offense to being asked to do the right thing.

Last edited by xxaarraa; 08-29-13 at 08:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZX11D View Post
    I feel like this article is directed more towards the Harley Types despite the picture in the article. Either way Rowley won`t get any more of my money. Thanks for posting this.
    Right on! .??

A Rowley-based small local paper interviewed the COP of Amesbury, Newburyport, and Salisbury over the noise complaints they have, which they indicate often come from "straight pipes."

So I have three questions:

1. Exactly how much money were you expecting to spend in Rowley to begin with?
    2. You think it's OK to ride a motorcycle without any muffling at all?
    3. Most race tracks have allowable noise limits. So they won't "get any more of your money" either?

Perhaps we should expand the conversation to the entitlement mentality of some motorcyclists who think it is quite all right to ride a motorcycle without any noise muffling whatsoever.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 08-29-13 at 07:41 AM.

xxaarraa

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Right on!

A Rowley-based small local paper interviewed the COP of Amesbury, Newburyport, and Salisbury over the noise complaints they have, which they indicate often come from "straight pipes."

So I have three questions:

1. Exactly how much money were you expecting to spend in Rowley to begin with?
    2. You think it's OK to ride a motorcycle without any muffling at all?
    3. Most race tracks have allowable noise limits. So they won't "get any more of your money" either?

Perhaps we should expand the conversation to the entitlement mentality of some motorcyclists who think it is quite all right to ride a motorcycle without any noise muffling whatsoever.
    Completely agree with you. Some of it is classic NESR group think. Folks that hang out here seem to have a narrow version of the "truth" and everyone else is an idiot.

The issue really isn't about noise it's about profiling. When they start pulling over Fart Can Honda's and trucks with stacks, then I won't complain. Why pick a select group of people?

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

Did the people defending the article see the complaint about large rides?

Backpacks for kids? Every ride for a fallen officer/rider?

These are all being called a traffic concern. As if the 200 bikes in a row wouldn't have been replaced by a line of cars anyway if the bikes weren't there?

09 Ex500- totalled
    08 SV650s!!!

Cages: Ford Excursion
    Ford Mustang Gt
    Toyota Rav4

Quote Originally Posted by Sheppo View Post
    The issue really isn't about noise it's about profiling. When they start pulling over Fart Can Honda's and trucks with stacks, then I won't complain. Why pick a select group of people?
    Motorcyclists are selected because they are widely perceived to be the biggest contributor to the problem. Addressing only the most significant root cause of problem first, then tackling the smaller contributors to it later, is a standard and very reasonable problem solving approach.

If fart-can Hondas were waking everyone up at 2am all summer, or if weekend parades of hundreds of loud fart-can Hondas were common, it's a safe bet the article would have been about fart-can Hondas and this thread would have been on some fart-can Honda forum. But the general public sees it as primarily a motorcycle noise problem, so it is very rational for us to be selected as a group.

I thought the article was better written than most. The writer had obviously done a little homework by mentioning the AMA's position, and the LEO was trying to reduce the problem by reportedly working the MMA and local watering holes to encourage people to 'Throttle down in town". In other words, it sounded like he'd prefer voluntary civil behavior before cracking down with legal remedies.

DanG
    People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive.
    - Blaise Pascal

Dammit Dan, get your logic out of here.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheppo View Post
    Don't know about "fart-can Hondas" but lots of WRX owners with loud aftermarket exhausts complain about getting pulled over. And the inspection stations seem to be much less willing to pass cars than bikes, probably because they remove the cats as well.

Can't remember the last time I had a bike inspected and was asked to start the engine, of six different bikes, including an HD.

Lifer

I would encourage some of you to remember articles like this when you are on a group ride and peg the throttle while standing at a stop light in town while straddling a machine re-tuned for that 'race use only' exhaust you have mounted.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I would encourage some of you to remember articles like this when you are on a group ride and peg the throttle while standing at a stop light in town while straddling a machine re-tuned for that 'race use only' exhaust you have mounted.
    Know someone on the PD in Nashua. He said they will stand there at a stop light with the sound meter in their hands - right out in the open. And cruiser dudes will ride up to the light and start revving the engine. It's really hard to get a noise ticket, but it can be done.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

its MA own fault for coming up with such a stupid and impossible way of testing the Db level of a motorcycle exhaust.
    i can make my bike quieter or louder at 45mph just by picking a different gear.
    no shop has any way of knowing how that particular rider rides. i can ride a straight pipe HD through downtown portsmouth at 3 am and barely be noticed

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Kurtz View Post
    Dammit Dan, get your logic out of here.
    Yea!!! How are we going to get a mob going with this random logic getting thrown in

Shit Corey says:
    Quote Originally Posted by hondarider102 View Post
    I think that a smooth motor would help me be a bit smoother

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    i can ride a straight pipe HD through downtown portsmouth at 3 am and barely be noticed
    I'd notice.

even more obnoxious than loud exhaust imho are stereo systems in cars that send of earth tremors as they drive by, I can't hear the music, but I can feel the vibration

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky Mike View Post
    I'd notice.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

I don't think I have ever heard a car stereo louder than a straight pipe Harley. And loud Harley's are 100x more prevalent in my town than loud car stereos, despite being a college town.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    its MA own fault for coming up with such a stupid and impossible way of testing the Db level of a motorcycle exhaust.
    i can make my bike quieter or louder at 45mph just by picking a different gear.
    no shop has any way of knowing how that particular rider rides. i can ride a straight pipe HD through downtown portsmouth at 3 am and barely be noticed

MA and a few other states use that test method or something similar. It's based on an old SAE recommended model. The 'new' SAE test (J2825) is the one NH adopted this year - testing at 20" from exhaust at a 45 degree angle and specific rpm levels based on engine configuration.

MA probably should update the regulation to the new test method, but I doubt it would be enforced any more often than the old one. So why bother?

I guess a good indicator might be - NH has new test method. Is it ever enforced?

DanG
    People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive.
    - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I live at the corner of a 4 way intersection. We have every obnoxious noise maker from fart can Hondas and Subarus, to micro-phallus truck drivers, straight pipe Harleys and whitekidswhowanttobeblack blasting their shit music.

But, the best one of all was a few weekends ago. I hear a sportbike revving at the stop sign so I look out and see an old 90's ZX7 with a squid and his girlfriend on back. He has a helmet, she does not. Both in shorts and T shirts. He is not moving, just revving. Finally he goes to take off, stalls the bike and falls over in the road. I call to my wife to check this dumb shit out - he stands up, throws his helmet on the ground and starts screaming at the girl. His helmet is rolling down the hill so he stops yelling to chase after it. The little dickbag couldn't even pick the bike up without her help and there was no fucking way I was going to offer assistance after listening to his piece of shit Muzzy for the last 30 seconds. It was hilarious, much needed humor to what would otherwise be just another fucking noisemaker.

Quote Originally Posted by oVTo View Post

I guess a good indicator might be - NH has new test method. Is it ever enforced?
    I got checked recently during my inspection. I was at the dB the limits @ 5k RPM, but the inspector said at isn't over, so it wasn't a problem.

I haven't been bothered by any LEO's about it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast