Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bad memory and battery chargers

Re: Bad memory and battery chargers

Quote Originally Posted by Father Ribs View Post
    /I also have been looking for a portable battery charger but can't seperate the chaff from the wheat. Any suggestions where I could find a portable charger I can keep in my bags?
    Do you mean a battery charger or one of those portable jump starters?

If the latter, I looked at a bunch of them and bought and returned one that barely started my boat, after being hooked up for 15 minutes. Most of the well-known brands weren't very good.

After web research, I purchased a Clore JNC660 They also make a 9 lb model called the JNC300XL.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Goodbye wife, hello bike! Father Ribs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oVTo View Post
    But getting back on topic - by portable charger, do you mean something like this, except smaller? Wouldn't it be easier to just bump start the bike?
    Yeah, something like that. I have not had luck bump starting in general and forget it on my larger bike; 660+ dry weight not including all the farkles.

From what I've read so far, looks like I need to stop touching my kill switch and go right for the key and that should help a lot. The MSF course made the kill switch a part of the process and it stuck. Thanks for the replies.

Normally I handle the ADHD with a lot of rituals but sometimes it's easy to get distracted, like going to see my daughter play soccer and I know the ex will be there makes taking out the key fade into background noise. One of the reasons I enjoy riding so much is because it forces you to focus on what you're doing.

Last edited by Father Ribs; 10-27-12 at 08:32 PM.

That one above is from Harbor Freight. I tried one. One step above useless - check the reviews.

Clore FTMFW, or Schumaker is a distant second. Clore makes their own AGM batteries designed for this application. For example, you only have to recharge the Clore every three months and it will jump start up to five cars. The HF above has to be recharged at least monthly and after every use.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Ribs View Post
    Yeah, something like that. I have not had luck bump starting in general and forget it on my larger bike; 660+ dry weight not including all the farkles.

From what I've read so far, looks like I need to stop touching my kill switch and go right for the key and that should help a lot. The MSF course made the kill switch a part of the process and it stuck. Thanks for the replies.

Normally I handle the ADHD with a lot of rituals but sometimes it's easy to get distracted, like going to see my daughter play soccer and I know the ex will be there makes taking out the key fade into background noise. One of the reasons I enjoy riding so much is because it forces you to focus on what you're doing.
    I can definitely understand the problem of trying to bump a bike that big, especially if you don't have a hill to help.

We are all creatures of ritual. That's part of why the MSF has students repeatedly mount/dismount, and start/stop their engines several times during the first exercise.

The cable below is for brake locks. One day I was interrupted in the middle of my starting ritual, and forgot to remove my brake lock (I wasn't using this cable as a reminder). That resulted in an interesting launch and even more interesting sudden stop.

Instead of carrying around a big spare battery, how about something like this, except a lot simpler? Just substitute any visual cue that keeps you from forgetting the key. I'm not against carrying a battery around, I'm just trying to offer alternatives that might be a bit easier and just as good. I hope this helps...

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    DanG
    People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive.
    - Blaise Pascal

just bump start it!

If I see my headlight shining on the garage wall I know I've forgotten something. I've been trying to get into the habit of doing just the key to turn off the bike. I know Triumph recommends it for their D675 which was having issues with the kill switch terminals going bad. If your bike is injected, jump starting it may not be a great solution. One it's bad for the battery to charge at over a certain amperage and two some bikes electronics don't work well with an uncharged battery. On my bike my gauges flicker on and off.

Friends don't let friends wave to Can Ams

I leave it in gear, use the kickstand, then take the key. I have a "Remove Before Flight" keytag.

What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

Wirelessly posted (BB 8310)

What about a piece of tape somewhere with the words "remove key" or something? Just something as a reminder where you'd look. Sort of like racers use to remember their grid position.

Quote Originally Posted by blackxxbird View Post
    I think MSF uses kill switch first because in class they don't get in front of the bike until students use the killswitch to shut it off, maybe MSF is just concerned with instructor safety?

Personally I think you're all wrong... I use my kickstand :p
    I put my front tire against a wall and dump the clutch.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Interesting debate.

I am conditioned by my first motorcycle, a late 70's Honda CB. That bike was killing batteries and my father couldn't figure out why. Turns out if you left the kill switch on with the ignition off, the bike was still drawing power. We never figured out what or why, we just started using the kill switch. IIRC we had a similar problem with my mother's early 80's 'wing.

I have never had a kill switch wear out.
    I don't think I've ever used the kill switch on purpose, I have hit one by accident a couple times (enuf to check it if nothing happens when I thumb the starter button)

never had any ignition switch problems (other than carefully extracting a key frozen into the tumblers just insert into the gas cap that was plugged up with ice, there's more to the story) on my SV650 in 135k, no problems with kill switch either on the SV650

MY V-strom, different, my kill switch & pigtail has been replaced twice (and like I said, I never use it) my ignition switch is about the only thing that wasn't replaced on the complete electrical overhaul I had done

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

I always just flicked the key to Off with the kill switch on, and I did have issues with batteries dying faster than I thought they should have. I attributed it to the fact that I was living in Miami, and constant high heat lowers battery life (carb'd bike). I wonder if the kill switch thing mattered?? Although, it still seems like my battery doesn't last as long as it should when left untended, and my R1 is FI.

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    Park at the top of a hill.
    For me (and I'm CDO about keys (that's like OCD, but in the proper alphabetical order))
    But that just means you're Compulsive Disorder Obsessive. Sure, it's alphabetical, but it doesn't make any sense!

Quote Originally Posted by SprintPoser View Post
    It is also recommended by Triumph to use the key, and all their bikes are fuel injection now. I've put over 80,000 miles on my Triumphs this way and the only time I had starting problems (with my Sprint RS) was when I started using the kill switch.

On my new bike, turning the key off kills the motor and lights, but there's activity going on after the key is off. The stepper motors close the throttle butterflies (sounds kind of like a fax machine) and the immobilizer circuit becomes active. As I've never used the kill switch I don't know for sure, but I suspect the kill switch doesn't turn of the lights. I'll stick with my 12 year old habit. It works for me.
    So that's what that goofy noise is.

Put one of your house keys on the ring with the bike key. Can`t get in the house untill you take the keys out of the bike! :-)

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

I always use the key, and when I loan out my bikes (frequently) I instruct the person to always use the key - specifically because this is what always happens (dead battery). Vehicle battery's have just gotten smaller and smaller over the years, and now they have reached the point where they are sized to provide just enough power required for normal operation. There is very minimal room for error. I have seen bike battery's go dead just because a person sat and chit chatted for a few minutes, after turning the key on. Many (most?) bikes now power up the head light as soon as you turn the key on.
    I need a new battery on our 1999 Ninja 250. I found out that the older models ('88-'94) used a larger YB9, and newer models ('95-up) used a rubber sleeve to fit a smaller, maintenance free YTX7. I will remove the sleeve, and buy the larger battery, just because the beginners that sometimes ride this bike will definitely sit with the key on.

Goodbye wife, hello bike! Father Ribs's Avatar

Started using the key to shut 'er down. I'm pretty funny to watch. "Did I shut it off?" (run circuit around the bike and check if they key is still there) x at least three-four times before I walk away...backwards, muttering to myself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12