Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Buell All Done

Re: Buell All Done

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Buell: The last American sportbike

I hope this backfires on HD so bad that they go under. I really do.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by scottieducati View Post
    Sweet! Hopefully we can have a proper 600 racing class again.
    You know Scott for a guy that's attempting to forge a career in the motorcycle industry that's a pretty shitty thing to say. A whole lot of passionate motorcyclists are out of the job today because an American motorcycle brand just shut down. This is a shitty day for the Industry.

Poor form to be 'happy' about it and continue to bring the retarded '600cc racing' argument up AGAIN (even thou you love and support Ducati and their cheater 848 and 1098).

Really too bad about Buell. I was liking the 1125CR.

Boston --> San Diego

Quote Originally Posted by a13x View Post
    A whole lot of passionate motorcyclists are out of the job today because an American motorcycle brand just shut down. This is a shitty day for the Industry.
    big +1 to that. tiny American company full of incredible people. what a shame.. .

Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by brady View Post
    Erik looks and sounds crushed in the video. He and "The Company" say he's staying with H-D, but I can't imagine he'll be able to stand it for long.
    No kidding. It looks like they were holding a gun to his head. I'm thinking he was composing his resignation letter while being forced to read this. THAT's a letter I'd like to read.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Sheppo View Post
    The ONLY thing that has kept HD in business is all the other bullshit they sell, T-shirts, mugs, jewelry, jeans, etc, etc...
    Yeah...that and the millions of rabidly loyal customers. Harley has a place and I'm glad they do. Buell was always a red headed step sister. Harley is getting back to their core business...just like tons of other businesses in todays economy.

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

From motorcycle.com:

"The decision to shut down Buell will eliminate 80 hourly production jobs and 100 salaried positions. A majority of Buell staff will be employed until Dec. 18. Harley-Davidson will incur a one-time cost of $125 million by shutting down Buell."

That's a lot of families that are about to have a really shitty Thanksgiving/Christmas. I know its happening all over the country, in various companies. But it just sounds different coming from a motorcycle mfg.

Buell Factory Tour

I remember reading this article just a few months ago, thinking about how good they were doing, how far they've come, and what they could possibly have in store for the future. How quickly things change.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19YSk6yGCRQ

Quote Originally Posted by KawiSmurf650 View Post

It'd be great if some multi-billionaire freelance investor saw fit to toss some coin Erik's way, to get him to start over.
    Why? It's not going to help sell buell's. Seems like everyone is saying the same thing they had a nice bike but i wouldn't buy one. So how can you blame HD from a business standpoint to dump something that isn't making them and could be losing them money? If you owned a business and sold something not many people bought you would continue to sell it? As for the comments about people out of jobs. anyone read cruiser/easyrider? You would see harley is struggling and keeping a business that isn't selling what they expected could cause alot more people to lose jobs.

Last edited by crowspeed07; 10-15-09 at 01:03 PM.

You know Scott for a guy that's attempting to forge a career in the motorcycle industry that's a pretty shitty thing to say. A whole lot of passionate motorcyclists are out of the job today because an American motorcycle brand just shut down. This is a shitty day for the Industry.

Poor form to be 'happy' about it and continue to bring the retarded '600cc racing' argument up AGAIN (even thou you love and support Ducati and their cheater 848 and 1098).

oh snap!

Im not gonna lie i never was a buell fan but it def is shitty for all the employees being layed-off before holidays.

I dont wanna turn this into a fuck DMG thread there are enough out there....My question i guess is whats does this do to DMG. i mean after all this hoopla and cutting corners for buell to run in SS and SB, pissing off the other manufactures for basically one year and now buell is done. how do they repair their differences with kawi/yamaha/suz/honda..if they can

LRRS Expert #99
    08 R6

"why tip-toe through life to arrive safely at death?" Tony Campol

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky Mike View Post
    To quote PK, I "went in too hot and ran out of talent".

Dr Q : Last resort Medic Qfactor's Avatar

Sweet! Hopefully we can have a proper 600 racing class again.

seriously scott?

wtf!

Q

"Ami blaireau, comme t'es nul au cronos..."

"If your mom's got a schlong, run away, she's not your mom...."

and as i typed that a thread has already been started regarding that very subject

http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...tml#post807528

LRRS Expert #99
    08 R6

"why tip-toe through life to arrive safely at death?" Tony Campol

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky Mike View Post
    To quote PK, I "went in too hot and ran out of talent".

Quote Originally Posted by crowspeed07 View Post
    So how can you blame HD from a business standpoint to dump something that isn't making them and could be losing them money?
    I'm not an accountant, so I'm probably reading this wrong. But, for the nine months ending 9/27/2009, net revenue for Buell/MV Augusta was up by $3.295 million dollars over the same period in 2008. That's a little over 3.5% increase. In this economy, I think that's saying something. I know Buell/MV Augusta are just a drop in the bucket of the overall HD business, but I don't think they were losing money.

http://investor.shareholder.com/sec/...&CompanyID=HDI

Quote Originally Posted by obsolete View Post
    I disagree, I think a good CEO can guide any company regardless of industry. It's all about vision and making proper strategic moves based on industry experts that you employ.
    When he gets done Hogs will be made out of that chromed plastic shit. And I am gleeful.

I can understand the money aspect.

Yes, it may make sense to do that. Get rid of a company that isn't making much money.

You know, except for the part where now the majority of your customers will resent you for doing just that. Customers that have PLENTY of other better choices when it comes to buying their next bike for a cruiser. Customers that buy solely on pride and trust in the company. But Buell has been the "Yeah, it's a Harley, but they make some pretty sweet bikes in the Buell division too" excuse that these baby-boomers with fragile ego's will no longer be able to use.

Last edited by TheIglu; 10-15-09 at 01:41 PM.
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Sad day for the motorcycling industry. I actually got into Pratt Institute with a portfolio of hand drawn Buells- true story! I always liked the thought of an American sportbike company, I'm sad to see them go. The 1125R was a fantastic ride too, tried one out at Sears Point and had a blast. Also rode the lightning and hated it...those HD motors just suk....Harley was the curse and blessing for Buell. Hopefully someone with a brighter and broader vision will buy them....RIP Buell motorcycles

USCRA #555 - Formula CB
    http://jro555.tumblr.com/

Good CEO's can come from other industries, but a lot of these guys (especially in this country) employ the "maximize this quarter's profits" method, where they make the numbers and themselves look good for a short period in exchange for trashing the business long term. This is what I suspect is going on here.

Harley desperately needs to diversify away from cartoonish old fart bikes. MV and Buell were good ways of accomplishing that. Maybe the guy's got better ideas, but it's a tragedy that Buell's been flushed in any case.

Joe
    04 Thruxton (Street)
    01 SV650 (Track)
    75 CB400F (Future Vintage Racer)
    68 BSA Royal Star (Garage Floor Lubricator)

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

Apparently the sarcasm didn't come across terribly well. Untie the knot in your panties Alex, I'm not happy to see Buell go. Especially after hearing Cathcart's comments on the 1125RR I truly hoped they'd actually go Superbike racing where the 1125 belongs.

You can't compare the 848 in 600's and the 1198 in SBK to running a 1125 in a middleweight class. Even the RSV1000 being allowed in that class is somewhat of a joke, if a company doesn't build a middleweight bike, go race whatever you have in the appropriate class. The rules should say 600 4's vs. 675/700 triples vs. 850cc twins. If Buell or anyone else for that matter wanted to race in that class, build an 850cc twin and go nuts. Bringing a cannon to a knife fight just destroys my interest. You'll never see the 1125R in a cycle mag shootout against 600's, or at least you shouldn't, because it doesn't belong there, period.

There's been a tradition for years of twins of slightly larger displacement running against I4's of slightly smaller displacement, more recently with triples right smack in the middle. It's the way it should be due to the power charachteristics of the respective engine configurations, an absolute "displacement" class just doesn't make any sense.

I don't consider the 1125 to have won anything, it was handed the "Daytona Sportbike" championship or whatever you want on a silver platter and it was pretty ridiculous to watch the entire season. I don't blame Eslick or any of the teams running it, but it was a joke.

ANYWAY, back on topic... I AM sad that Buell won't be running the 1125RR in SBK, I really hoped to see them step up and take on the big boys in the right class, and would've been pulling for them. I never got to ride a Buell but always was intrigued by them, especially the 1125. It's a sad day for the moto industry indeed. Like others have mentioned, it'd be killer to see Erik get hooked up with a company that doesn't have it's head so far up it's ass as HD, maybe we'd actually see an American Sportbike catch on in the mainstream.

Last edited by scottieducati; 10-15-09 at 01:48 PM.

CCS/LRRS #83

Apparently the sarcasm didn't come across terribly well. Untie the knot in your panties Alex, I'm not happy to see Buell go. Especially after hearing Cathcart's comments on the 1125RR I truly hoped they'd actually go Superbike racing where the 1125 belongs.

You can't compare the 848 in 600's and the 1198 in SBK to running a 1125 in a middleweight class. Even the RSV1000 being allowed in that class is somewhat of a joke, if a company doesn't build a middleweight bike, go race whatever you have in the appropriate class. The rules should say 600 4's vs. 675/700 triples vs. 850cc twins. If Buell or anyone else for that matter wanted to race in that class, build an 850cc twin and go nuts. Bringing a cannon to a knife fight just destroys my interest. You'll never see the 1125R in a cycle mag shootout against 600's, or at least you shouldn't, because it doesn't belong there, period.

There's been a tradition for years of twins of slightly larger displacement running against I4's of slightly smaller displacement, more recently with triples right smack in the middle. It's the way it should be due to the power charachteristics of the respective engine configurations, an absolute "displacement" class just doesn't make any sense.

I don't consider the 1125 to have won anything, it was handed the "Daytona Sportbike" championship or whatever you want on a silver platter and it was pretty ridiculous to watch the entire season. I don't blame Eslick or any of the teams running it, but it was a joke.

ANYWAY, back on topic... I AM sad that Buell won't be running the 1125RR in SBK, I really hoped to see them step up and take on the big boys in the right class, and would've been pulling for them. I never got to ride a Buell but always was intrigued by them, especially the 1125. It's a sad day for the moto industry indeed. Like others have mentioned, it'd be killer to see Erik get hooked up with a company that doesn't have it's head so far up it's ass as HD, maybe we'd actually see an American Sportbike catch on in the mainstream.
    I thought the 749 was evenly matched... after riding an 848 - um yea, doesn't feel like a 600.

You need a bit more seat time on one Kitt. If you thought the 749 was evenly matched, I wanna know who's 749 you rode, they were a dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitt View Post
    I thought the 749 was evenly matched... after riding an 848 - um yea, doesn't feel like a 600.

CCS/LRRS #83

You need a bit more seat time on one Kitt. If you thought the 749 was evenly matched, I wanna know who's 749 you rode, they were a dog.
    600 I-4:
    Horsepower: 100.00 hp @ 14,100 rpm
    Torque: 40.77 lbs.-ft @ 10,850rpm

848 Twin:
    Power* 134hp - 98.5kw @ 10000rpm
    Torque* 70.8lb-ft 96Nm @ 8250rpm

30% more power, 75% more torque?

not even

Only Ducati is allowed an exception.

CCS/LRRS/NEMM AM #205 (Inactive)

LOL 134HP... right.

So let's take your GSXR... you race an '06 right? From Sportrider, actual measurements. vs. my (2 year newer) 848.

motorcycle peak hp peak torque wet weight dry weight

GSX-R600 ('06) 109.3 @ 13,500 44.1 @ 11,750 438 411

848 ('08) 116.5 @ 10,250 61.7 @ 8250 435 410

Definitely a torque advantage but a whopping 7 HP? You get a lot more gains from a typical race setup on a 600 than you'll see on an 848 (full pipe, power commander, etc.) in both weight savings and power gains.

Either way, it further emphasizes the ridiculousness of having an 1125cc twin battling 600's. C'mon.

CCS/LRRS #83

Lifer

So let's take your GSXR... you race an '06 right? From Sportrider, actual measurements. vs. my (2 year newer) 848.
    Beat me to it.

From Motorcyclist.com:

CBR600RR ('06) 105.6HP @ 13,250. 44.8LB-FT @ 10,750

Ninja ZX-6R ('06) 111.4HP @ 13,000. 48.2LB-FT @ 11,000

YZF-R6 ('06) 113.0HP @ 14,500. 43.8LB-FT @ 11,500

Last edited by DesmoTull; 10-15-09 at 02:20 PM.

I wish my 848 made 134 HP. And 100 hp out of an I4? They were making more than that in the late '90's.

CCS/LRRS #83

Watching Erik's goodbye video was tough. You can see he had every bit of his heart and soul in the company. Shame on HD for killing off the one innovative branch of their company.