Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Building My Budget Bike Garage

Re: Building My Budget Bike Garage

Okay so I finally started on the roof. My brother John and Dano helped. To say the roof was a mess might be a slight understatement. To start with the sheathing was put on with half the osb going horizontal, the other half going vertical. Seams weren't staggered and they had a 7 inch overhang on one side and a 3.5 inch overhang on the other. Sweet huh? To top it off the front had no overhang.

We decided to create a front overhang, extend the sides and resheath the roof right over the existing sheathing before we reshingled.

First thing we did was start building an overhang extension.

We started by tearing off all of the old shingles and tar paper. Great fun. Maybe I should rephrase, John and Dano tore off the old stuff. I secured the new front overhang.

With the new sheathing we started straightening the roof to where it should have been. Was interesting to do. Currently we have one side basically done. You can see along the front where we let it overhang where the overhang will be. This was done due to how whack the roof is. We decided it would be best to get everything on then snap a line and cut the excess of correctly to square everything up.

I also started mudding and taping in the garage. I hope to get that done and paint in the next few weeks. Hooked up the outlets on the left side of the garage as well.

Oh and mad props to my wife (the rider some of you know as smiley) for the food

Anyways, that's the update. Wrapping up the sheathing and tar paper tomorrow in the hopes of doing the shingles bright and early Saturday.

If you're bored and want to help move shingles let me know haha.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by yesterdayze View Post

SO very glad you posted the best picture by far

theres just something about a blue bike

Yeah man, that was special. What we get for being so late. Thank God we had only screwed it in down to the edge. *DOH*

No new pictures but the other side of the garage is now resheathed. Just need to trim the front and back edge and we will be good to go. Hoping to star tar papering and shingling tomorrow morning around 8.

Okay, so the roof is almost done. We trimmed up all of the edges, secured the side extensions and boxed everything in. The right side as you face the garage is all shingled. The left side is only about 1/5th of the way done. We will hopefully finish that up tomorrow.

Heres how we extended the sides. There are screws through the top as well.

Reroofing is done but it's too dark to get pics. Very glad to be done that though. Just some trim and painting later.

Okay, so real quickly, here is the roof before:

In a nutshell, it wasn't square, the wood was too thin and bowing, had rot holes, they had shingles downside up and upside down, there was no front overhang, the side overhang started at 3.5 inches out and ended at 6.5 inches out Roofing was all kindsa funked up and had odd gaps, went horizontal and vertical etc. The roof had a nice bow in the front, they actual cut the roofing to match the bow rather then fix the bow. We straightened it but would have had to tear out a lot of crap to make it just right. It is hard to tell now and measures straight, so good enough unfortunately in this case has to be good enough.

Here is the roof redone. It looks curved because of the camera lens, it is actually nice and sharp and straight.

THIS IS NOT REALLY CURVED, THAT IS THE LENS.

The roof is level, square, sealed properly and looks fantastic! I still have to paint the edges where you see the barewood and I still need to put the soffit stuff on. Other then that, ROCKING!!!!

Next I hope to get a new garage door and new front door.

I am also looking for any scrap insulation I can get to do the attic with. If you know of anyone with clean insulation they want to get ride of please let me know. I am planning on just layering it to get to what I need. I had wanted to have it blown in but no budget for that right now.

Getting there just in time for winter!!!

very nicely done

Well, time for an update. Winter is coming, though I'm not complaining about these warmer days we keep getting sporadically; that means it is time to make sure we have as much garage space as we can. Lots more stuff tossed out, lots of cleaning and wrapping up left to go.

Here's where we are at.

We cleaned a lot of old junk out and ditched it. Even got rid of some old tools that we had newer better ones of. I sold the radial arm saw I had. It was mainly taking up room and not getting used very often. That space allowed us to free up some room for cars and such to be pulled in better. The speaker got mounted, lots of stuff got put away, given away etc.

Still lots more to get rid of but getting there.

We cleaned off the workbench, ran the power to it and added a cool diamond plate power strip. This workbench will be more oriented to electronics work. This is the first time in over a year that the stools have been usable. I tossed a rubber mat under them. Works well for electronics or something and looks decent as well as dampens sound from the stool legs.

You can see the old and the new oscilloscope in the image above. The old one looks like RADAR, the new one has the cover on it. If anyone wants to buy the old one it still works fine. $20 it's all yours Still gotta do some work on the new one to get it all set, but shouldn't be too bad.

I also decided to add some safety measures. Fire extinguishers were on sale at costco, so I got the biggest on they had and one size down from the biggest.

Hopefully won't need them but it doesn't hurt to be prepared.

We also started clearing out, cleaning up and finishing the kitchenette area. First step was to create some storage for the dishes and such. Yes, the garage has it's own dishes. They are manly dishes. Yes, dishes can be manly. Yes I am being a smart @$$.

Trust me, that puppy is solid. You can literally hang off it.

The kitchen area, yeah the messy section with the microwave is also getting some upgrades. Still need to finish the top, the sheet rocking along the sides and bottom and make a utensils drawer but it looks a lot better!

Of course before anyone asks....and yeah... I know I am running low....

So that is basically where we are at. I'm still very much in need of more insulation. For now though we are in decent shape!

I am currently looking for a larger air compressor and would be willing (if interested) to pay some cash and offer a partial trade of a 30 gallon craftsman pro black series compressor.

I am also looking for a 1 phase to 3 phase variable speed (frequency, vfd) converter that is 2hp minimum.

Lastly, as mentioned I need insulation! Fiberglass insulation. I don't mind paying if you have a good price on extra or used stuff and I can pick it up.

Well, that's all folks!

so envious

Quote Originally Posted by DBConz View Post
    crouching tiger, hidden mondos

Looking good!

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo View Post
    so envious
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
    Looking good!
    Thanks guys, yeah the wife keeps telling me I am building my own doghouse. I figure if that is the case I better make sure it is nice

Run 2 rows or flourescents on eitherside of the door about 3 feet away

Paint the walls a nice white or light grey and maybe even reflective white on the ceiling.

When your looking down past something you 'll appreciate nice even light

Glen Beck is John the Baptist

Quote Originally Posted by richw View Post
    Run 2 rows or flourescents on eitherside of the door about 3 feet away

Paint the walls a nice white or light grey and maybe even reflective white on the ceiling.

When your looking down past something you 'll appreciate nice even light
    Good calls. The walls are going to be painted a light grayish tan color and the ceiling is being painted semi flat white. I didn't want too reflective for fear of glares.

I don't have a lot of room on the sides for fluorescent lights unfortunately, but may be able to fit some small ones. Ceiling near the door is getting two more lights.

bad. ass. shoot my girl would be pissed if i built that thing. I'd lever leave the garage.

I can't seem to get off my lazy butt to get the plumbing all hooked up.... I plan on doing it this weekend... should be interesting... I've done plenty of plumbing, so no concerns there, this will just be a big job. If anyone in the area is bored this weekend..... hehe

Great news, I had picked up a VFD Phase Converter for the milling machine in the garage. I bought it thinking it was 1/2HP too small and that I would sell it to get the size I needed. Got it all listed on Ebay and everything and as I was wrapping up I noticed that the tag on the side didn't match what it should. Turns out the tag on the side was incorrect and I actually already was holding the one I needed!!!!! Triple checked wiring gauges, heat sink heights and tags etc, finally called Toshiba (It's a Tosvert 130G2 for those who aren't familiar with these); Sure enough, the unit I picked up for a ridiculously low $25!!!! was not the $700 unit I was initially psyched to get for that price (though slightly disappointed that it was too small) it was in fact the $1,800 dollar unit with a vendor mis-tag on the side!!! Plenty big enough for my mill!!!!! The unit also happens to be in a case, in MINT condition.

I will be taking the VFD out of that case, giving it some beefy hookup lines and mounting it on the wall next to the mill. It is rated for up to 5.5HP and the mill is a 2HP so no problem.

I also got rid of a transmission and a bunch of other old scrap metal and batteries. More room is a good thing!

I also whipped together a drawer real quick for the kitchenette. Hey, a man's gotta eat when he works right?

So this weekend the plan is to get ALL of the plumbing done except the final hookup to the septic. That line will go out, but not tie in until I have the permits in hand. Currently I am running into trouble getting details on the existing setup that I need to get this done. Uggg.... Oh well, it will work out. Always does

I am also looking for electronically actuated hydraulics if anyone is looking to get rid of some. The goal is to build my own motorcycle work lift. Would be wicked handy to be able to lift the bike up to working level, spin it around etc. So if you think you may know where I can get some hydraulics, free or reasonably priced, drop me a PM!

if we close early on friday (as in this week) instead of next tuesday, I proposed we have a plumbing party, run the water at your place and the gas at mine!

closing early on friday is starting to look like less of an option, grammys funeral is right when they want to close, so thats out, but maybe a few hours later might work..... life is complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Dichotomous View Post
    closing early on friday is starting to look like less of an option, grammys funeral is right when they want to close, so thats out, but maybe a few hours later might work..... life is complicated.
    I hear ya bro. Hope things go as well as they can under the circumstances. Let me know, I would be glad to help you with the gas line too!

Quote Originally Posted by yesterdayze View Post
    I hear ya bro. Hope things go as well as they can under the circumstances. Let me know, I would be glad to help you with the gas line too!
    hey, we ARE gonna close on friday, I figured out the scheduling and it will all work fine, better than before too. I was thinking of maybe trying to get over to your place after work thursday to start up the plumbing if that will work, and maybe saturday finishing (if we dont finish thursday) and running the gas line. its likely that saturday will be a flurry of activity (as well as friday) because andrea is likely to start cleaning that day, dad will be over, and there is more than likely going to be some moving going on as well.

but I think we can get all kinds of plumbing done everywhere

Where in the world did you find that phase converter for $25???

Looks like it might have "fallen off a truck".

Uhhhh...I hate to point to an obvious flaw in an otherwise extremely well thought out and executed project. But I didn't see the ice maker/crusher. Figure you'll wanna get that sorted out while you're installing the plumbing, right?

No, no. You're welcome...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    Uhhhh...I hate to point to an obvious flaw in an otherwise extremely well thought out and executed project. But I didn't see the ice maker/crusher. Figure you'll wanna get that sorted out while you're installing the plumbing, right?

No, no. You're welcome...
    real men drink beer, you do not add ice to beer....

Nice score on the VFD.
    Definitely set yourself up with a remote control of some sorts to keep chips, oil, coolant, etc away. Also keeps everything you touch low-voltage. Leave the dangerous stuff in an enclosure on the wall.
    Looking good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dichotomous View Post
    real men drink beer, you do not add ice to beer....
    This is what I get for trying to help?

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast