Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

When buying a new bike

Lifer

Re: When buying a new bike

Quote Originally Posted by caloots View Post
    Good q.
    New it was 12200. Now they advertised it for 8999.00 and then pull the charges stunt claiming its 9720.00. I said no, you are advertising 8999.00. That's when he claims Suzuki dictates it
    bullshit, fuck them. I think it's horseshit to charge a bunch of fees on a leftover advertised price (hello!? it's clearly a leftover because they had trouble selling it, so you'd assume the advertised price is OTD to move the unit), nevermind more than $700 more! I would not accept that. Even if you don't get this one, there's got to be other bikes you're interested in.

You could do a nationwide search for the bike you want, set the search at the price they advertised for, and you could probably have it delivered for less than the additional $700 in charges is, which if it were me, I would do rather than pay the charges just in principle! Good luck, keep us updated!!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    Your bike is worth what someone will pay for it, in December.

With 2016 upon us you now have a 9 year old bike with almost 10,000 miles. How many eBay or cycle trader or cl comps have you gotten to check sales price?
    with all due respect, this is bullshit. I understand the view, but it's crap, not how it should be. This dude had a gixxer 750, 9yrs old with 10k, what, 1k a year!? It's in good condition, and the dealer is offering him 3400, and will probably post it for $7000 atleast! Make more off him than any new unit.

I say, OP, if theres any way for you to say, you want it for the advertised price, give them you're number, if they bite, give a deposit while you sell your bike? I dunno, long shot but best case scenario for me.

Lifer

Bullshit or not, it isn't worth 6k until somebody pays 6k for it. The average dealer trade value on kbb is 3500. Being insulted that a dealer offers this value for trade in December is silly. If I'm trying to trade a bike in December and am in a rush, it is what I would expect to be offered and I would not expect them to budge until I put a firm offer on the table and walked out to let them think about it.

It is the dealer's job to separate you from the maximum possible amount of money while convincing you that they are doing you a favor.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I hear you Steve, but the trade in value has nothing to do with December.. it's from the nada book. I understand their job, but they piss me off because they lie

Lifer

All the books are updated at least quarterly, if not monthly and do reflelct seasonal fluctuations.

The bottom line is that you would like to upgrade from a 2007 to a 2013 and throw about $3k of cash into the deal and the dealer opened with an offer requiring you to put $6k in to get it done.

There are currently two local dealers advertising blow outs on 2013's on cl. My guess is that the mfg has thrown in some money to move these, thus the dealer should be able to move.

But asking to pay wholesale for the 2013 and get retail for the 2007 is unreasonable. Play them off against one another by offering your bike + $X out the door, no additional fees exc reg. and sales tax. Make it clear you are happy with your current bike and not desperate to do a deal. If you are financing the $x, there is more money in it for the dealer than if you pay cash, but that should not be a major factor.

In my opinion, and this is only my opinion, if you get it done for less than $4000 cash you stole it and if they get $5000, they made bank.

An old principle from being in the construction business is that is is a fair deal when both parties are equally unhappy with it.

One last thought, gixxers are great but the target demographic skews younger and less financially savvy. Often they are emotional, gotta have, purchases and the dealer can win playing the monthly payment game with the buyer rather than a more rational approach. If you're approaching this rationally, you probably aren't the normal buyer and they may be betting that they can find a more motivated buyer "greater fool" who will overlook the extra charges as just a few more $ per month.

Last edited by SteveM; 01-02-16 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    Find a new dealer, simple as that! There's 12-18% profit in each unit depending manufacturer
    The catch... This dealer has a left over 2013.. so not much leverage for me with other dealer's
    Had you mentioned it was a new left over in your first thread, I would have worded my post above differently. With 1 or 2 year left over models, typically the manufacturer offers rebates to the dealer. The cost of the unit is still the same to the dealer, as they purchased it from the manufacturer in 2013.
    If you say the MSRP was $12,200.00 in 2013, subtract the 18% dealer profit (varies with each manufacturer, but it's close) which is $2,196.00 leaves dealer cost at $10,004.00. Haven't checked, but typically on 1 or 2 year left overs, there's another $1500.00 in factory kick backs, dropping the dealer cost to $8,504.00. Their asking price of $8,999.00 seems reasonable to me, allowing them to make $500 on a unit they paid for 2+ years ago, and have had it in their inventory taking up floor space.
    As for destination charge, just like in the auto industry, it's an actual cost and is not figured into the MSRP. Should it be, yes, it'd save dealers and buyers a lot of BS. From the new bikes I've bought, i've seen destination fees from $250-$350. IMHO, if you got your new bike for $9,350.00 plus tax, you're getting a fair deal.
    If the total price they quoted you has tax, title, registration, and destination included..the number is where it should be. Again, just like auto's, the dealers typically don't have (and shouldn't have) tax and DMV costs in their advertised prices.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yamaha

The 6k is ball park based on what others have a 07 750 listed for.. that's all I can do to get a figure.. I'm with degsy and gixxer though.. they are lying and that's what makes me mad.. I don't expect the dealer to give me 6k but it's bullshit to advertise it for 9 and then add 700. and nada is bullshit which is why I'm here.. I'd give them 9k if I can sell my bike for a fair price.. as far as I can tell, 6 is fair. I realize it's winter and if I can't sell it in a few months then I'd have to confirm that the dealer still has it if someone is serious about mine

Last edited by caloots; 01-02-16 at 10:29 AM.

Lifer

The 6k is ball park based on what others have a 07 750 listed for.. that's all I can do to get a figure.. I'm with degsy and gixxer though.. they are lying and that's what makes me mad.. I don't expect the dealer to give me 6k but it's bullshit to advertise it for 9 and then add 700. and nada is bullshit which is why I'm here.. I'd give them 9k if I can sell my bike for a fair price.. as far as I can tell, 6 is fair. I realize it's winter and if I can't sell it in a few months then I'd have to confirm that the dealer still has it if someone is serious about mine
    No, you can get better market info on your trade. There are two? NH guys, RJ? And Joe? Who run used bike businesses, advertise on CL and buy bikes. Also, National Powersports in NH is in this game big and generally regarded as honest. I think a member here works for them.

By 11:00 AM Monday you could have three cash money dealer quotes on the value of your bike. What they pay should not differ from your dealer's real trade value, they have to buy so they can sell and make a profit.

A private sale would net you more money, but the typical buyer looking to lay out cash for a 9 year old gixxer in January is looking for a desperate seller to give it away and has at least one eye on flipping it in the spring.

Lifer

If you are going to get mad every time someone lies in a business negotiation to better their position, you're going to be mad a lot. Your emotions are the dealer's best friend and your worst enemy.

Using craigslist as a guide to find out the trade in value of your bike is boarder line foolish. Id bet none of those bikes listed sell for anything over $5k...which puts the dealer spot on offering you $3,500 for a trade in, seeing he now has the money tied up, and has to warranty it for 30 days after the sale. Hate to say this, but the only one here that needs a reality check, is you

Yamaha

Well what does everyone think here about my bike.. craigslist is tough but it's the fastest way. I've found eBay to be too low however I did find a number of completed sales between 5 and 6k.
    DO you think 6k obo is unreasonable? . I didn't think so

Ohh I just noticed, I am not using clist for trade in value.. I was using it for private sale guideline

Lifer

If it generated strong interest on CL and sold, then it is reasonable.

If not, not.

I gave you 3 options for real pricing, all are probably open today.

As much as you're pushing back we are trying to help you.

So far, everything posted supporting you is good information and everything suggesting less is bullshit.

Confirmation bias?

Lifer

Using craigslist as a guide to find out the trade in value of your bike is boarder line foolish. Id bet none of those bikes listed sell for anything over $5k...which puts the dealer spot on offering you $3,500 for a trade in, seeing he now has the money tied up, and has to warranty it for 30 days after the sale. Hate to say this, but the only one here that needs a reality check, is you
    I agree that right now, unfortunately, if any of those CL bikes sell, it'll probably be for around 5-5.5. But regarding both your posts on this page, theoretically the dealer has this unit at a cost of 8500, they're asking 9, leaving them 500 to make.... and while CL pvt party might bring 5k, the dealer can probably command 6 or 6.5, allowing them to make 3k off the OP, more than they would have made in profit in 2013 if this new unit sold, according to your 18% info. So being winter, the OP has to accept getting a shit deal, while the dealer will end up making peak season profit. They could do better, but won't. Is what it is, doesn't mean it doesn't blow.

Last edited by Gixxer; 01-02-16 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    I agree that right now, unfortunately, if any of those CL bikes sell, it'll probably be for around 5-5.5. But regarding both your posts on this page, theoretically the dealer has this unit at a cost of 8500, they're asking 9, leaving them 500 to make.... and while CL pvt party might bring 5k, the dealer can probably command 6 or 6.5, allowing them to make 3k off the OP, more than they would have made in profit in 2013 if this new unit sold, according to your 18% info. So being winter, the OP has to accept getting a shit deal, while the dealer will end up making peak season profit. They could do better, but won't. Is what it is, doesn't mean it doesn't blow.

Correct..almost. $8,500 + freight, $8,850.00 is likely close to their cost.

For the used bike, put yourself in the buyer position...would you pay $6k for a used 9 year old bike, when for $3k more you can have a brand new 6 year newer bike? I wouldn't either. Local dealer to me (MS Nation in Plainfield) posts up on FB all the time his used bikes and the prices..he's selling 2012/13 750's in the 6k range.
    Just my opinion, but I'd bet you'd be pressed to get $5k for your 2007 in the spring from a private party

Yamaha

5 would be fair.. I haven't seen 2013 for 6 k.. I've seen 07 between 5 & 6k in good shape.. I didn't think that it was asking too much. I know I have a better chance in the spring

nada is bullshit which is why I'm here..
    CL and E-gay are what is bull shit, they are wannaget asking prices, not actual sales

KBB and NADA values are based on actual sales and trends from the previous month

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Kbb. Retail is 5675.00

Lifer

Retail means dealer retail, not private party value. Trade in is 3,500, so you know the mark up the dealer commands to take the risk on accepting a trade.

You have two choices for unloading your current bike, sell to a dealer at wholesale or private party sale. If I were a private party buyer, I would look to buy at a split between the two numbers, about 4500. This reflects the fact that I'm taking the defect risk with no dealer support.

You can strengthen your position re the new bike by separating the purchase from the trade. Can you put enough money down to finance the entire new bike and hold onto the current bike until spring?

Possibly.. I'll have to check into that.

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    CL and E-gay are what is bull shit, they are wannaget asking prices, not actual sales

KBB and NADA values are based on actual sales and trends from the previous month
    Craigslist is BS, I agree. EBay on the other hand has a completed/closed listing filter that will allow you to see what people actually paid for something.

Does NADA/KBB show you proof of their numbers? I've never looked.

LRRS AM#721 / RSP Racing / MTAG Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear
    2003 Honda CBR600RR / 2009 Kawasaki ER6N / 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300

Not sure about nada&kbb
    EBay complete are lower.. but they always are.. I tried my zx10 on eBay.. it was excellent condition as well, ended up getting more on trade..

Lifer

Correct..almost. $8,500 + freight, $8,850.00 is likely close to their cost.

For the used bike, put yourself in the buyer position...would you pay $6k for a used 9 year old bike, when for $3k more you can have a brand new 6 year newer bike? I wouldn't either. Local dealer to me (MS Nation in Plainfield) posts up on FB all the time his used bikes and the prices..he's selling 2012/13 750's in the 6k range.
    Just my opinion, but I'd bet you'd be pressed to get $5k for your 2007 in the spring from a private party
    It seems to hold up. I hated it when I was in the market looking for 06/06 gsxr600/750s and dealerships were still charging 7-8k when back then they retailed for 8800-9999, so, a tiny depreciation. But yeah, 9yr old gixxers seem to command decent cash, meanwhile I can't sell a '12 S3 for the same price. Wacky shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    It seems to hold up. I hated it when I was in the market looking for 06/06 gsxr600/750s and dealerships were still charging 7-8k when back then they retailed for 8800-9999, so, a tiny depreciation. But yeah, 9yr old gixxers seem to command decent cash, meanwhile I can't sell a '12 S3 for the same price. Wacky shit.
    Agreed dude

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast