Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Buying and Riding Away

ain't nuttin wrong w/that scubasteveRR's Avatar

Re: Buying and Riding Away

Quote Originally Posted by gamorg02 View Post
    in MA i believe you legally can use your plates for like 24 hours on a new purchase to get the car home. i wonder if there are similar stipulations for bikes?
    actually my roommate just did this with a truck... you have 7 days but there are many stipulations...

1. you have to sell the vehicle that the plate is from and it must be the same type of vehicle (ie car to car/ bike to bike... not car to bike)
    2. you must have and carry the bill of sale for both vehicles and the registration from the sold vehicle
    3. you must not take insurance off the sold plate/sold vehicle

I'm sure that even if you got into an accident there would be a grey area on if you are actually covered. i wouldn't risk it personally.

find a friend with a truck, rent a truck/ trailer or pay someone from here to help you move it, i'm sure there would be someone willing to help if you compensated gas and gave them a little cashola.

OR change insurance companies to a local one or find a local progressive agent. your insurance company is proggresive but where you get the paper work is usually an agent... you can keep progressive and switch agents to a local one to get paper work same day?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by scubasteveRR; 03-23-12 at 07:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jwm2k3 View Post
    Im pretty sure you cant just cancel plates/registration online. I believe the actual plates need to be returned in person to the dmv.
    you can as of a couple years ago. i've still got the canceled plate from my previous motorcycle in my garage. just print out the plate return receipt for your insurance company and you're done.

MassDOT - Cancel My Plate/Registration

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    - Jamie
    2009 K 1300 S

is it differnt here? in KY i bought, insurance faxed over, temp tag put on from dealer and drove away into the sunset

You buy a bike near me then hook up with me. I got ramps and a pickup. I will be living in Worcester next week. I will help ya out if ya need it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12