Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Caswell Coating Ducati Plastic Tanks

Re: Caswell Coating Ducati Plastic Tanks

The only belt failures I've seen were ones that were WAY WAY WAY past their maint interval and flogged horribly. As far as potential engine damage, any interference engine is going to fail the same way if you loose cam to crank timing, belt, chain or otherwise.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by soofle616 View Post
    You're right I don't understand. I don't understand how a tank that expands and spills fuel with the potential of causing a fire (but more likely, just create a mess) is any worse than a belt that has a history of failing and causing catastrophic engine damage at speed. Ok, I guess fire is scarier to think about late at night in your garage but I'd rather take that chance than be hauling down a straight when my engine seizes at 100+. Maybe that's just me.
    Come on!! What's this about a history of belts failing? Really!?!? Since when?? Replace those every couple of years and you are way ahead of the risk accelerator for a failure. Belts don't just fail, unless you are dumbass and pretend not to know to change them. Besides, belts are a scheduled maintenance item that is a known factor before buying a Ducati. No surprises there. A tank that warps and leaks is not listed in the maintenance manual and sure as hell is a surprise to any owner who anticipates owning their bikes long-term.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I would agree. It bothers me that they replace it with the same defective piece instead of improving the product for a permanent fix.

2013 Triumph Daytona 675R
    2013 Aprilia Tuono V4R APRC

I work at a Toyota dealer and see this all the time, it's not just these couple of motorcycle brands. They will have known problems with parts and in some cases there is a recall for a vehicle, and the replacement part is the same exact part as the original with nothing really done to fix the underlying issue. And this is from one of the biggest auto manufacturers in the world, not surprised in the least that it happens with smaller companies. It sucks for us consumers, but is nothing new.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234