Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Ducati Monster 696

Ducati Monster 696

I've pretty much convinced a guy here at work to get a Monster 696 as a first bike instead of a Honda 1000rr or the Ducati 11xx, ( It hasn't been easy. ) but he's still kind of hung up on the air cooled bit. I need some input from you Ducati owners about their oil cooler systems and any issues they may have in traffice jams, longevity and so on. He won't go for an SV or EX so that's out.

Thanks,

p

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Ducati Monster 696

s2r1000 no issues, even sitting in mid august in a pitsburg traffic jam.... if you are sitting at a dead stop turn it off. save gas. hell you can walk it if you are worried about it overheating.

Seth
    LRRS/CCS NV #256

2007 Ducati S2R1000 Street
    2000 Triumph TT600 Track For Sale
    1984 Honda Magna needing reassembly.
    1974 Honda CB 750 needs wiring
    1974 Honda CB 350 needs engine work

Had 750ss 800ss and 900ss no issues with cooling and I raced the 800.

Good choice as a starter bike. (MUCH better thatn the others)

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

A friend of mine has a M900 and has never had any cooling issues with it. Come to think of it he hasn't had any issues with it at all besides needing the carb rejet after he cored and shortened the stock pipe. If the new 696 is anything like the old baby Monsters he should have no problems with it. I've seen quite a few of those running around with no major problems and have more than 30K on the clock.

Unofficial self proclaimed official NESR plumber.

"Ah shit son, datz be a Ducati!"-Random kid in Methuen.

North Reading (also known as the North Pole)

I just test road one today and MAN its a great bike ergonomically but the engine just seems gutless. Should be GREAT for a newb but I can see any seasoned rider getting bored in it especially if you are doing track days.

Oh if none of you have seen the new Triumph Street Triple its pretty bad ass@!! looking and its got fully adjustable suspension for only 600 bucks over the standard street triples.

2006 Ducati Monster S2R800

Multistrada...no probs...
    Race/Track 750SS ...no probs...

Motorcyclist (I think it was) just did a comparo of the Monster 696 and the Shiver. Monster won! Mostly for handling!

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

I agree with the "gutless"... Well at least for the 620 I rode.

BUT I remember my 750ss when I first got it up until I wrecked it 3 years later, I thought it was a rip snortin BEAST!

A 620 should be PLENTY for a new rider.

Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I agree with the "gutless"... Well at least for the 620 I rode.

BUT I remember my 750ss when I first got it up until I wrecked it 3 years later, I thought it was a rip snortin BEAST!

A 620 should be PLENTY for a new rider.
    That is also coming off a 135 HP triumph so its quite a difference. At 9 grand for it its a very expensive starter bike. If I was a beginner I would hit up an SV 650 for 6500 brandy new. Like I said ergos are nice. Only reason I rode one was so I could see if I would like the 1100 ergos. We will see we will see!!

Oh absolutely!!! A cheaper bike is MUCH better for a starter. Hell talk him into a GS500!

But if he NEEDS a pretty bike to make him feel like a wanna be racer the Duc should fit the need.

Odd... I remember when Ducati's were elite pieces of machinery, like a Ferrari. Not many people had them and they were not for the faint of heart. They are starting to get to be like just any other UJM.

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

thats kinda what I like about the triumph. NO ONE has my bike that I run into. I have been lusting for a duc for years. We will see what happens when the come out in January and them March for the non s version.

Quote Originally Posted by BostonSVkid View Post
    I just test road one today and MAN its a great bike ergonomically but the engine just seems gutless. Should be GREAT for a newb but I can see any seasoned rider getting bored in it especially if you are doing track days.

Oh if none of you have seen the new Triumph Street Triple its pretty bad ass@!! looking and its got fully adjustable suspension for only 600 bucks over the standard street triples.
    I couldn't sell him on the smaller triple, I'm actually loving this. I sent him the link to this thread and he claims he's going to get it from Beverly.

he can get fully ajdustable suspension on the triple for like 600 more than the duc.

I have a S2R 800 and have had no issues at all. Good power for the street and handles well. No issues at all with over heating.

Me no likey crash

Lifer

Get him on a M620, SV650, or the like. He'll be alot better off in the long run. In some ways, I really miss my old 620.

I have had a lot of bikes and if I could have more than 2 at one time I would have a 696 in my garage. Great fun, great choice for a new rider, and not one you have to outgrow.

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Would he be interested in an s2r?

No, he wants to buy new. It's his first bike and does not want to deal with any reliability issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bread View Post
    Would he be interested in an s2r?

I gave him the usual speech and I'm not going any further with it as I consider it a win that he's not running around on a 1000rr. I pointed him towards the small Duc and that seems to be good enough for him for now.

He was just worried about the "air cooled" Duc's. Normally air cooled is a bad thing, but the Duc's seem to have a huge oil cooler and we were wondering if they were really air cooled. It seems to me that if you have a large excess of oil that is constantly flowing and is transferring that heat out using the air cooler than they are not really air cooled in the traditional sense, loose tolerances and such. I was just trying to find out about that.

Quote Originally Posted by DesmoTull View Post
    Get him on a M620, SV650, or the like. He'll be alot better off in the long run. In some ways, I really miss my old 620.

Well if I had my way I'd have a cbr1000rr in yellow, a cbr600rr, that new Ducati Street Fighter [ you should all have a look at that ], some kind of sports tourer plus keep the bikes I have. As a matter of fact I brought up the idea of a Duc with the wife last night, didn't get very far. I'm thinking of buying her the 600rr just to grease the skids.

Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    I have had a lot of bikes and if I could have more than 2 at one time I would have a 696 in my garage. Great fun, great choice for a new rider, and not one you have to outgrow.

Quote Originally Posted by ultraTwist View Post
    Well if I had my way I'd have a cbr1000rr in yellow, a cbr600rr, that new Ducati Street Fighter [ you should all have a look at that ], some kind of sports tourer plus keep the bikes I have. As a matter of fact I brought up the idea of a Duc with the wife last night, didn't get very far. I'm thinking of buying her the 600rr just to grease the skids.
    ...well, thats a different thread...

My Fantasy Stable - Perfect Number and How to Fill It!

In fact, I think I'll go start that now!

Muhammad Ali.

Quote Originally Posted by ultraTwist View Post
    No, he wants to buy new. It's his first bike and does not want to deal with any reliability issues.
    Just wait till he drops his brand new bike the first time. Be sure he has the dealer put sliders on it before he picks it up.

I think we all know this, and yes if you go to the Duc website and have a look at the new Monster, getting a scratch on that is not going to make any one feel very good. But the guy figures he's looking a 600k to put his kids though college and he doesn't have it, so he's buying the bike instead.

Quote Originally Posted by BostonSVkid View Post
    Just wait till he drops his brand new bike the first time. Be sure he has the dealer put sliders on it before he picks it up.

I dont know about the huge oil cooler helping that much... I mean, after about 3 weeks all the oil will have leaked out, so maybe thats why they call it air cooled...

696 looks bitchin. If your friend thinks he can handle a 1000RR as a newb, send him to my house and I will hit him with a bat. The 696 will be pleeeeenty!

Don't Fake the funk on a nasty dunk.

NEW STREET/TRACK: 2007.5 Aprilia Tuono
    STREET/TRACK: '08 CBR600RR (SOLD)
    '07 VFR800 (SOLD)

I owned a M750 for 8 years. Test rode the 696, and it's better in every way. Power felt similar, handling and brakes were LOTS better. They somehow got more weight on teh front wheel without changing the seating position too much. I almost bought a white one with termis, but I just needed a change.

I put 55K on my 750 with only one breakdown. And that was kinda a dealer mishap...

Paul_E_D