Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

what are the best earphones to wear with/under helmet?

turning water into watts Woodsy's Avatar

Re: what are the best earphones to wear with/under helmet?

[quote=axil;695783]So if I have then hooked up to my GPS, which also happens to be an MP3 player, then I'm good, right?

Quote Originally Posted by bump909 View Post
    I use these (an older version) and they work awesome.

http://www.amazon.com/Koss-SPARKPLUG...0880506&sr=1-2

The older version is better because the ends, the part that is outside the ears, are smaller and round. That makes them much easier to get on under a helmet. But beware. I have an old pair of these that I use and think is great. I recently bought another set and it is crap. It looks similar, but sounds completely different. I don't know if all the new ones are the same as the ones that I recently bought (on Amazon). BTW you can make your own in-ear plugs from standard foam earplugs and a piece of shrink wrap tubing and they are better than the ones that come with it.
    I think any sound emiting device that is inserted into the ear canal is illegal. i think it has to be over the ear or a helmet speaker because these allow ambient noise to enter the ear. I do not know the MGL section on that though

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

16L MACK POWERED GSXR... Boston Chuck's Avatar

I have the bose ones but they cancel too much noise from my bike, +1 on the skull kandies.

Just some dumbass

i got body glove ear buds that wrap around your ear and stay there lol. very soft gel ends to fit in your ear so for long use you do not get the sore ear effect. i will get the model and pic if you want. they are $25 and sounds great. pm me if you are interested in the model and pic

1979 HONDA CB750F
    900+ miles and counting this season.
    I like my wifie how I like my bikes...... NAKED & READY TO RIDE.

Quote Originally Posted by NeverlosT View Post

And you should not get in trouble by the po-leece. If they make it up to your bike after pulling you over before you have your helmet off and the earbuds out, you need to move faster. Just pop em out, suck em into the jacket. And the officer will appreciate you taking off your helmet. Everyone plays, everyone wins!!!
    I first started using my etyonic e6i as a "tethered" earplug - I kept losing the foam ones when I took off my helmet. The cord was looped and kept in my inside pocket. Later I added the iPod for highway use.

It is legal in MA to wear two earplugs. So if you can disconnect your earbuds quickly and easily from the music source, you appear to be legal.

I keep my ipod in the same inside pocket as my wallet. If I were stopped, I'd pull the ipod w/my wallet to get my license and slip the ipod in another pocket. Hopefully turn it off too, just in case

An unplugged pair of earphones is not against the law. I think it's easier, faster and less obvious to juggle the ipod/wallet w/your back to the officer as you get your license than removing your helmet and exposing the earbuds before you remove them.

My latest mantra for MA cage drivers
    -- "The rocks in your brain are the gravel in my path" --

Resident Shpongolian Fantastipotamus's Avatar

I'll throw my $.02 in to say that there are plenty of good options in this thread, but the thing that makes the biggest different, in my opinion, are the tips you use.

Your ordinary rubber ones do a fair job in quieter situations like around the house or at work, but in the middle of all the ambient helmet wind noise, you'll want something which deflects a little more sound.

Typically I've found the best ones are the expanding foam-type ones, which you roll between your fingers and then insert, and wait for them to expand. Once they're in, you can put your helmet on... A bit of a pain in the ass for any rides where you're going to be stopping frequently to chat or whatever, but great for solo rides or longer treks.

Personally, I have a set of the aforementioned Etymotic Research ER-6i's, which are on Amazon for $82 or so (cheaper in white), and I have no complaints except they discontinued the orange expanding foam plugs, they have some others but they don't work quite as well.

2006 Triumph Speed Triple
    2006 Kawasaki KLR 650

It is not advisible to wear headphones while driving your motorcycle.

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    It is not advisible to wear headphones while driving your motorcycle.

its advisable... unless wearing headphones makes you harder to see

Original

I use these:

They're koss spark plugs got 'em from radio shack $17.99.

some people have looked at me before I put my helmet on and say "how the f*ck do you get those into your lid"

they do stick out kinda far, but they nestle into the earpockets and stay in place. Bonus is that the end is just like a regular earplug, only with a hole in the middle for the sound to get through. They block out wind noise, but i can still hear the bike and the tunes.

Quote Originally Posted by jnm988 View Post
    its advisable... unless wearing headphones makes you harder to see

Doesn't it distract and make it so that you can't hear as well?

Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Well, distraction is possible, yeah, but considering prolonged helmet noise can be loud enough to cause hearing loss, you're better off with some sort of ear protection, plugs, headphones or otherwise.

2006 Kawasaki KLR 650

Just Registered

This is a "what are the best" earphones thread, not a "are earphones safe" thread. They may not be safe for those who use them unsafely, but for me they work just fine

My 2 vices, not necessarily in order:
    www.gpsdiscussion.com
    motorcycleaddicts.org

I've been using the Etymotic Research ER-6i and really liked them. Last weekend one of the earpieces stopped working. BTW, it's REALLY annoying to hear music in just one ear.

I called Etymotic and it turns out there's a tiny little filter that will just go with no warning. Most of the earbuds have them to keep earwax from touching the driver.

They were very good about sending me new filters, but based on the info from this thread I bought a pair of skull candy "inkd" for $14.95 from Target.

I wasn't expecting much, but they sound good, fit nicely (three sizes) and have more bass. At 1/6 the price I paid for the Etymotic's on Amazon, I'll just replace 'em when the filter goes.

No need to junk 'em, Danno, they work fine without the filters.. And if you're somewhat diligent about cleaning your ears you shouldn't end up with ER-6i's full of wax.

2006 Kawasaki KLR 650

Quote Originally Posted by Fantastipotamus View Post
    No need to junk 'em, Danno, they work fine without the filters.. And if you're somewhat diligent about cleaning your ears you shouldn't end up with ER-6i's full of wax.
    They sent me replacement filters, no problem there. Just letting folks know in case it happens to them.

I'm pretty dilligent, I pass the Qtip from my left ear straight through to my right ear all the time. Goes right thru, clean as a whistle.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    They sent me replacement filters, no problem there. Just letting folks know in case it happens to them.

I'm pretty dilligent, I pass the Qtip from my left ear straight through to my right ear all the time. Goes right thru, clean as a whistle.
    And I was just letting you know that, if it happens again, you can still use the headphones without the filters, so you don't throw $80 in headphones in the trash. :-D

And I think you might be misusing those q-tips.. didn't you read the package, you're not even supposed to insert them in your ear canals!

2006 Kawasaki KLR 650

Well, distraction is possible, yeah, but considering prolonged helmet noise can be loud enough to cause hearing loss, you're better off with some sort of ear protection, plugs, headphones or otherwise.
    I wear ear PLUGS. Just not headphones, well not anymore.

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

And I was just letting you know that, if it happens again, you can still use the headphones without the filters, so you don't throw $80 in headphones in the trash. :-D

And I think you might be misusing those q-tips.. didn't you read the package, you're not even supposed to insert them in your ear canals!
    Yes, I guess you *could* use 'em w/out the filters, but the purpose of the filters is to keep moisture and ear wax away from the tiny, delicate drivers.

So if you bypass the filters, when they die, they're really dead, Jim.

Yes, I guess you *could* use 'em w/out the filters, but the purpose of the filters is to keep moisture and ear wax away from the tiny, delicate drivers.

So if you bypass the filters, when they die, they're really dead, Jim.
    This is also true.. I've been using mine for 18 months or so without filters though (with absolutely no issues), so part of me is starting to think it may a small conspiracy on behalf of Etymotic to make extra $$. They're 15$ for 6! Yikes.

I also misread this: "At 1/6 the price I paid for the Etymotic's on Amazon, I'll just replace 'em when the filter goes." as you were going to junk your ER-6i's when the filters went bad, not buy new Ink'd's when those quit.. Reading skills!

2006 Kawasaki KLR 650

Quote Originally Posted by jnm988 View Post
    Do the Skull Candy ones go in your ear canal? The reason I ask is I think my ears are deformed. I've never been able to get any ear buds to stay in my ears.

Also, has anyone tried helmet speakers?
    the answer for you is custom made ear plugs. they can be formed with small speakers built right in.....

Graham
    "If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee — that will do them in"

This is also true.. I've been using mine for 18 months or so without filters though (with absolutely no issues), so part of me is starting to think it may a small conspiracy on behalf of Etymotic to make extra $$. They're 15$ for 6! Yikes.

I also misread this: "At 1/6 the price I paid for the Etymotic's on Amazon, I'll just replace 'em when the filter goes." as you were going to junk your ER-6i's when the filters went bad, not buy new Ink'd's when those quit.. Reading skills!
    Turns out Etymotic's customer service is excellent. I was ready to send these back for replacement/repair when she asked me to remove the filter and TaDa!

So she sent me a few filters, filter tool and I asked her for some more (rubber) ear buds. Came firstclass from Chicago in two days.

She never asked for proof of purchase date over the phone, so even if they're more than a year old you'd probably get the same results with one phone call.

Turns out Etymotic's customer service is excellent. I was ready to send these back for replacement/repair when she asked me to remove the filter and TaDa!

So she sent me a few filters, filter tool and I asked her for some more (rubber) ear buds. Came firstclass from Chicago in two days.

She never asked for proof of purchase date over the phone, so even if they're more than a year old you'd probably get the same results with one phone call.
    Awesome, I feel like so many companies are like insurance claims departments, just trying to figure out a way not to pay you (or back their product). I had a brief interact with their customer service dept, which was also positive.. Makes me want to buy a pair of their Hf2's....

2006 Kawasaki KLR 650

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234