Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Results 1 to 20 of 20

Make me feel better or worse about my new helmet

  1. #1
    TWINS! xrocket21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Central Maine
    Age
    38
    Posts
    5,017

    Make me feel better or worse about my new helmet


    Pretty spur of the moment I bought a new helmet. My old Shoei was worn out, the liner fell apart, and Ive had it like 12 years. Spur of the moment, on a budget of like $300, not wanting to get a crappy HJC or something, I got an Arai Signet-q Target. Its a friggen nice helmet, but now I see why it was $379 instead of $749, it is discontinued/old. Doesnt really matter since I cant return it, but good deal or bad deal?

    Make me feel better or worse about my new helmet-arai-signet-target-motorcycle-helmet

    0 Not allowed!

  2. #2
    Soul Rider Paul_E_D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    western, MA
    Age
    49
    Posts
    13,842

    Re: Make me feel better or worse about my new helmet

    If it fits, it was a great deal. Nice lids.

    1 Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D


  3. #3
    TWINS! xrocket21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Central Maine
    Age
    38
    Posts
    5,017

    Re: Make me feel better or worse about my new helmet

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    If it fits, it was a great deal. Nice lids.
    Thanks dude. It fits pretty well, possibly just a bit big, but still snug.

    Its my first time with a pinlock shield. I ordered a tinted one for it.

    0 Not allowed!

  4. #4
    Lifer
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,188

    Re: Make me feel better or worse about my new helmet

    I’ve had three HJCs and loved em all.

    - - - Updated - - -

    As far as old/disco, what’s with the alleged five year life span of helmets. Who goes by that?

    0 Not allowed!

  5. #5
    Resident Turkey Tricky Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    The burbs... where dreams go to die
    Posts
    5,792

    Re: Make me feel better or worse about my new helmet

    Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    As far as old/disco, whatís with the alleged five year life span of helmets. Who goes by that?
    Tech inspection

    2 Not allowed!

  6. #6
    TWINS! xrocket21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Central Maine
    Age
    38
    Posts
    5,017

    Re: Make me feel better or worse about my new helmet

    Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    I’ve had three HJCs and loved em all.

    - - - Updated - - -

    As far as old/disco, what’s with the alleged five year life span of helmets. Who goes by that?
    Ive had 2 and they were okay

    just a cheaper helmet.

    0 Not allowed!

  7. #7
    TWINS! xrocket21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Central Maine
    Age
    38
    Posts
    5,017

    Re: Make me feel better or worse about my new helmet

    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky Mike View Post
    Tech inspection
    I believe my shoei was snell 2005. To drag race my truck last friday I needed snell 2010 or newer. this helmet is snell 2010. I bought it on my way to the track.

    Starting 2020 will it now be snell 2020? Is it every 5 years? I probably should have got at least a snell 2015 :/

    0 Not allowed!

  8. #8
    Lifer Chippertheripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    the fairest of havens
    Age
    40
    Posts
    12,961

    Re: Make me feel better or worse about my new helmet

    fwiw, the fg17 and rpha helmets are top notch. fg17 offers really incredible bang/buck.

    0 Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

  9. #9
    TWINS! xrocket21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Central Maine
    Age
    38
    Posts
    5,017

    Re: Make me feel better or worse about my new helmet

    Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    fwiw, the fg17 and rpha helmets are top notch. fg17 offers really incredible bang/buck.
    Make me feel better or worse about my new helmet-hjc-max-ii-solid-matte

    My snowmobile helmet is an HJC IS-max and I don't like it. it isnt comfortable, it isnt very warm, it fogs severely, one of the two bolts holding the face shield on literally fell out, the nose protector is uncomfortable and apparently non-replaceable, etc.

    0 Not allowed!

  10. #10
    Senior Member jerseygirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Portland, ME
    Posts
    448

    Re: Make me feel better or worse about my new helmet

    Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    I’ve had three HJCs and loved em all.

    - - - Updated - - -

    As far as old/disco, what’s with the alleged five year life span of helmets. Who goes by that?
    As a former Arai helmet sales person, the rule I would follow was 5 years of wear or 7 years from date of manufacture (whichever comes first). Now if you race, it is different. Helmets, like anything, start to break down.

    And Arai's, like other helmets, have different shell shapes. Sometimes the high end one fits you well and sometimes the lower end one does. If you haven't been fitted properly for helmet, treat yourself sometime. It is a process and will probably open your eyes.

    1 Not allowed!
    You can take the girl outta Jersey.....

    USCRA #75
    Street- 03 Suzuki SV650
    Track- 71 Honda CB350

  11. #11
    TWINS! xrocket21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Central Maine
    Age
    38
    Posts
    5,017

    Re: Make me feel better or worse about my new helmet

    Quote Originally Posted by jerseygirl View Post
    As a former Arai helmet sales person, the rule I would follow was 5 years of wear or 7 years from date of manufacture (whichever comes first). Now if you race, it is different. Helmets, like anything, start to break down.

    And Arai's, like other helmets, have different shell shapes. Sometimes the high end one fits you well and sometimes the lower end one does. If you haven't been fitted properly for helmet, treat yourself sometime. It is a process and will probably open your eyes.
    Yeah, its is time to retire my Shoei after 12 years of wear...

    0 Not allowed!

  12. #12

    Re: Make me feel better or worse about my new helmet

    12 years is way too long

    $2-350 is about what even new riders spent (AGV K3)

    Price spent is appropriate, and itís not an HJC

    0 Not allowed!

  13. #13
    Angry Gumball RandyO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Farmington, NH
    Age
    67
    Posts
    13,110

    Re: Make me feel better or worse about my new helmet

    Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    I’ve had three HJCs and loved em all.

    - - - Updated - - -

    As far as old/disco, what’s with the alleged five year life span of helmets. Who goes by that?
    I loved my HJCs as well, till I owned an Arai, I'll never wear a heavy ass bubblehead HJC again

    As long as you don't turn yer helmet inside out and expose the inside to ultraviolet light, you can extend the life of a helmet, by always wearing a balaclava, thin silk for summer, windstopper for winter

    0 Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject

  14. #14
    Awesomeness, Inc. MattR302's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Haven-ish, CT
    Age
    35
    Posts
    884

    Re: Make me feel better or worse about my new helmet

    Similar topic:
    I purchased a new helmet from a legit moto gear seller on eBay. I made kinda a lowball offer on a current-model lid and they accepted it, got it for 58% of new price.

    Got the helmet yesterday - manufacture date is November 13, 2014, so it’s already 5 years old. I don’t plan on tracking it so there would be no tech inspection for it, but I’d probably expect to get 4-5 years of street use out of it.

    Would you keep it or return it?

    0 Not allowed!
    -Matt

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    718

    Re: Make me feel better or worse about my new helmet

    Quote Originally Posted by MattR302 View Post
    Similar topic:
    I purchased a new helmet from a legit moto gear seller on eBay. I made kinda a lowball offer on a current-model lid and they accepted it, got it for 58% of new price.

    Got the helmet yesterday - manufacture date is November 13, 2014, so it’s already 5 years old. I don’t plan on tracking it so there would be no tech inspection for it, but I’d probably expect to get 4-5 years of street use out of it.

    Would you keep it or return it?
    Return it

    0 Not allowed!

  16. #16
    Member tucktuvak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Somerville, MA
    Posts
    84

    Re: Make me feel better or worse about my new helmet

    Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    fwiw, the fg17 and rpha helmets are top notch. fg17 offers really incredible bang/buck.
    I second this, I LOVE my FG17 but apparently they are discontinuing them.

    0 Not allowed!
    YouTube: The Motorcycle Room 2001 Aprilia Futura - 1998 Honda Superhawk - 2011 TM Racing EN 250

  17. #17
    Lifer
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bristol County
    Age
    32
    Posts
    2,857

    Re: Make me feel better or worse about my new helmet

    Quote Originally Posted by MattR302 View Post
    Similar topic:
    I purchased a new helmet from a legit moto gear seller on eBay. I made kinda a lowball offer on a current-model lid and they accepted it, got it for 58% of new price.

    Got the helmet yesterday - manufacture date is November 13, 2014, so it’s already 5 years old. I don’t plan on tracking it so there would be no tech inspection for it, but I’d probably expect to get 4-5 years of street use out of it.

    Would you keep it or return it?
    If you won't be caring about a track regulation, what's the motivation to return it? It's clearly new, unused condition right?

    0 Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

  18. #18
    ^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Haverhill, MA
    Age
    49
    Posts
    3,224

    Re: Make me feel better or worse about my new helmet

    Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    If you won't be caring about a track regulation, what's the motivation to return it? It's clearly new, unused condition right?
    Though significantly less than if worn repeatedly and/or for any duration the EPS linings in helmets degrade over time and theoretically the ability of the helmet to protect the wearer could be compromised in the event of a crash. Kind of like a styrofoam cup left on a shelf for an extended period of time becomes brittle and isn't the best thing to pour a hot or cold beverage into.

    0 Not allowed!

  19. #19
    Lifer
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bristol County
    Age
    32
    Posts
    2,857

    Re: Make me feel better or worse about my new helmet

    Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    Though significantly less than if worn repeatedly and/or for any duration the EPS linings in helmets degrade over time and theoretically the ability of the helmet to protect the wearer could be compromised in the event of a crash. Kind of like a styrofoam cup left on a shelf for an extended period of time becomes brittle and isn't the best thing to pour a hot or cold beverage into.
    Understood. Not sure if the brand in question, but Arai and Shoei say 7 years. And that's going to be on the conservative side. I think the assessment here depends on level of risk acceptance.

    1 Not allowed!
    02 Aprilia Futura
    86 GPz900R

  20. #20
    Awesomeness, Inc. MattR302's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Haven-ish, CT
    Age
    35
    Posts
    884

    Re: Make me feel better or worse about my new helmet

    I messaged the seller asking about it, they responded basically saying “the 5 year lifetime rule applies to when it’s first used. This color (plain silver) is no longer produced so it was discounted, and your offer made it almost half off. We’re an authorized seller, and any time a helmet is discounted means it’s older. Return it if you want”

    I’ll wear it around the house for a long while to see if it fits well and then decide if i want to return it.

    0 Not allowed!
    -Matt

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •