Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

flywheel puller bolt snapped...

flywheel puller bolt snapped...

Tried getting my flywheel off today and unfortunately had some setbacks:

1. first puller i tried cracked in half
    2. second puller i tried nothing happened. banged on it TONS of times with my mini sledge, nothing.
    3. went to autozone and got their puller as i read some have had luck with it. now where the problems began.

hooked it up and put my impact on her. SNAP. one of the bolts snapped about 1/8" above the flywheel face. spent a few mins trying to get vice grips on it but couldn't. got my bits and extractors out. drilled thru the bolt as the extractors couldn't get a bite. then i took the extractor and it was able to grab with a hole thru the bolt. it slowly started coming out then SNAP. the extractor grabbed the flywheel instead of the bolt and snapped off a little under flush than the flywheel face.

tried drilling again but the extractor is hardened steel. bit wouldn't even make a dent. wtf do I do now?!?

do they make massive 'jaw' type flywheel pullers? I was going to ask landrics what they thought or possibly harry's up in northboro what it would be to get the flywheel off, as i could take it from there...

thoughts?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: flywheel puller bolt snapped...

Have you tried heating the outside area of the threads. My thinking here is to expand the outer material while trying to continue extracting the busted hardware.

You might be able to walk the broken hardware out with a hammer and a punch. Give it a good whack straight on but near the edge of the broken hardware to make a divit then angle the punch in the direction of "out" and tap, don't smash.

I Love giggle drops..!! BluGixxer's Avatar

I don't know what exactly you are facing, but ,ill give you my thoughts for a tapered fit flywheel.Io
    First when you snap a bolt and have enough to grab onto, get a nut and thread it on and try to weld it. Extracting stuck , bolts needs patience and time, don't hurry. if you can't weld it make sure you have the right size extractor, I havnt had 100% luck with those myself.
    Now your stuck , go get more patience,
    There is a flywheel puller I used on lawn mower engines, basically a 2 jaw puller with springs inbetween the hooks where it grabs the flywheel and the puller arms .
    Then with the crank protected , use a hard hammer to hit /"shock" the crank , all it takes is a little vibration in the right spot with tension on the flywheel to brack it loose.
    If you dont have a puller with springs, you can use 2 prybars with equal pressure on opposite sides, hit the protected crank.
    Eventually it will come off.
    If you try heat on flywheel, try ice on the crank shaft , along with equal tension with prybars and smack the crank .

Beat It Like A Rented Mule !!
    Legend in my own mind

and by the way, if you didn't already know, the directions on the flywheel puller most likely said DO NOT USE IMPACT WITH THIS TOOL .
    it mess es up the threads

Legend in my own mind

Quote Originally Posted by bergs View Post
    Have you tried heating the outside area of the threads. My thinking here is to expand the outer material while trying to continue extracting the busted hardware.

You might be able to walk the broken hardware out with a hammer and a punch. Give it a good whack straight on but near the edge of the broken hardware to make a divit then angle the punch in the direction of "out" and tap, don't smash.
    this might have worked with just the bolt in it, unfortunately now the extractor is wedged between the flywheel threading and the bolt. basically jammed any reverse action.

Quote Originally Posted by BluGixxer View Post
    I don't know what exactly you are facing, but ,ill give you my thoughts for a tapered fit flywheel.Io
    First when you snap a bolt and have enough to grab onto, get a nut and thread it on and try to weld it. Extracting stuck , bolts needs patience and time, don't hurry. if you can't weld it make sure you have the right size extractor, I havnt had 100% luck with those myself.
    Now your stuck , go get more patience,
    There is a flywheel puller I used on lawn mower engines, basically a 2 jaw puller with springs inbetween the hooks where it grabs the flywheel and the puller arms .
    Then with the crank protected , use a hard hammer to hit /"shock" the crank , all it takes is a little vibration in the right spot with tension on the flywheel to brack it loose.
    If you dont have a puller with springs, you can use 2 prybars with equal pressure on opposite sides, hit the protected crank.
    Eventually it will come off.
    If you try heat on flywheel, try ice on the crank shaft , along with equal tension with prybars and smack the crank .
    i used a 'harmonic type' puller which is the one that looks like a birds foot. i wonder if a jaw puller might be my only option, do they make them big enough for a bike flywheel? where would I get one?

no problems trying ice/heat if thats my only option left with a jaw puller.

and by the way, if you didn't already know, the directions on the flywheel puller most likely said DO NOT USE IMPACT WITH THIS TOOL .
    it mess es up the threads

i didn't see that anywhere but then again mine didn't come with any instructions that specific. i didn't use impact on the bolts going on the flywheel itself only the main bolt against the crank.

Last edited by gamorg02; 02-03-11 at 12:14 AM.

Even my snap on puller doesnt like impact guns used on it , ut the offbrand ones like you would get at a parts store rips the threads.
    Anyway they make big pullers , I usedto have one , lent it out , never came back , try a tool rental place true value or ace , or try northerntool or some other tool web sites , but try to get a good one made in US. The china ones will break the arms, and the hooks or fingers that grab arnt always at the corect angle .
    Try heat, and ice , all you need is a few thousands expansion and it will pop , extra hands are helpful ,

Legend in my own mind

Even my snap on puller doesnt like impact guns used on it , ut the offbrand ones like you would get at a parts store rips the threads.
    Anyway they make big pullers , I usedto have one , lent it out , never came back , try a tool rental place true value or ace , or try northerntool or some other tool web sites , but try to get a good one made in US. The china ones will break the arms, and the hooks or fingers that grab arnt always at the corect angle .
    Try heat, and ice , all you need is a few thousands expansion and it will pop , extra hands are helpful ,
    still learning so i appreciate the advice. how do you turn the main bolt without turning the flywheel without an impact?

also i will say that i used the exact same method on another vmax with no issues (altho i used the 2nd puller and bolts to get it free), so i wasn't 'totally' just shooting from the hip.

How is OTC as a brand? They seem to have a few things that would fit the bill. I have to confirm the diameter but i think its around 6" or so. I found a few at northern tool but they are all 1ton, and i think i'd need more!

i think something like this might be the ticket:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OTC10...item43a2e46781

Some sort of pry bar between bolts that hold puller , or I guess the proper way would be to get a flywheel wrench tool , acts like an adjustable spanner wrench , grabs teeth on oposite sides of flywheel so it doesnt spin. I have one from harbor frieght , works great , unless your trying to break lose a frozen motor.

Legend in my own mind

Some sort of pry bar between bolts that hold puller , or I guess the proper way would be to get a flywheel wrench tool , acts like an adjustable spanner wrench , grabs teeth on oposite sides of flywheel so it doesnt spin. I have one from harbor frieght , works great , unless your trying to break lose a frozen motor.
    unfortunately no teeth on my flywheel, just a solid magnet.

more pics of your flywheel?

on the dirt bike (which is probably why) the flywheel puller threads into the flywheel, while a 2nd bolt threads into the puller and pushes against the crank to "pop" the flywheel off

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    more pics of your flywheel?

on the dirt bike (which is probably why) the flywheel puller threads into the flywheel, while a 2nd bolt threads into the puller and pushes against the crank to "pop" the flywheel off
    this is the v-max, works the same way....

Worst case , drill and tap new holes in flywheel for puller , get grade 7 or stronger bolts for puller, just make sure you don't drill new holes to close to old ones , it might make a weak spot and bolts will pull out or rip crack flywheel

Legend in my own mind

Worst case , drill and tap new holes in flywheel for puller , get grade 7 or stronger bolts for puller, just make sure you don't drill new holes to close to old ones , it might make a weak spot and bolts will pull out or rip crack flywheel
    haven't tried actually drilling thru the flywheel, its probably hardened steel though...

I am not sure what material the flywheel is but there is no reason for it to be hardened. Easy way to find out, pop it with a center punch and see how easy it marks. If it marks easy, re-drill the holes as suggested above, make sure you drill equally off the center so pulling force is equally distributed.
    Good luck!

so i got a puller from a place in needham but it was too small, ended up going to the taunton tractor supply store adn got a 7 ton puller. 2 hours later and some heat, the fucker was off. thanks for the help guys!

So now I have to get the bolt and extractor drilled out. I am going to have them expanded to 10mmx1.5mm holes for beefer bolts next time.. couple questions:

1. rick @ harry's machined parts hasn't been around i've been trying for about a week to get ahold of him but no luck, so i visited ABT machine in holliston and they said they could do it, does anyone know anything good/bad with ABT or can recommend anywhere else in metrowest?

2. does the flywheel need to be re-balanced after using the jaw pullers? i thought so at first but if i can put a dial indicator on it and make sure theres no runout i gotta imagine the weight of the thing wouldn't have changed.

thoughts?