Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

getting a bike down a bulkhead

Lifer

getting a bike down a bulkhead

Well, I'm waiting for a closing deal.. but I got myself a house with a basement! Woohoo! No more storage units and outside parking.

But... how the heck do you get a bike indoors? Even with a ramp on the stairs going down it looks like rolling it down may work fine (although probably still difficult for one person)..... but getting it out/up? Doesn't look easy!

Any quick ideas? I also have a nice shed so it can go in there, but I'd rather get it into the basement for the better climate, and who knows I might actually be able to work on it a bit?

Thanks for any advice!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: getting a bike down a bulkhead

Get lots of beer and get your buds over to help you get it in and out..
    You don't want any mishaps...
    how many steps?

Lifer

I had my old XR600 in my basement once, for a 3rd gear replacement. My wife asked me how I was going to get it back out, and I said "I am just going to ride it out!". Of course the hatchway was not tall enough for me to do that, but I did start the motor and walk along side it. It stalled halfway up the stairs, fell over, and put a nice hole in the door with the bars.
    IMO - Getting the bike back out is a 2 man job, particularly if the bike in question is a nice street bike. Start it, feather the clutch, and let someone push on the seat, rear fender, or other solid part.
    Or, use a "tugger" style strap around the forks, and pull it up.
    Either way, both people should be prepared to stop and stabilize the machine at any point. Also, be careful of the bike's belly at the top of the stairs.

Get something/someone to pull it out with a strap leaving at least one person to stabilize without having to push/pull.

You bought a house without a garage. You better get going on that addition.

Bruce
    2007 VFR800 25th Anniversary
    2003 Honda RC51

I rebuilt a GSXR in my basement, 7 very steep steps.
    I put a plank down the steps and had 2 friends help. We tied a strap around the forks and then used a long rope to a nearby tree, went around the tree once for leverage, 2 guys steered it and one lowered it. We did have to literally lift it over the first couple of steps to prevent it bottoming on the transition. Did the same in reverse but it was a tad more difficult as the weight was against you and the bike was finished!

I used to keep my KTM in the basement. I'd bring it in and out solo all the time. Granted it's a much lighter bike... Anyway, if you have something you can anchor to outside of the bulkhead... preferably up off the ground a little bit... some good rope and a two or three to one pulley system for some mechanical advantage + an ascending device to keep the bike from rolling backwards should be helpful. Still doubt it's a one-man job for a sportbike, though

Lifer
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-us; DROIDX Build/4.5.1_57_DX5-32) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Mmm, maybe 7 or 8 steps. There are no trees outside for anchors. Guess a two person job it is. The thought of building a garage later is in the future, but not right now...

2WT

Quote Originally Posted by rice_rocket View Post
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-us; DROIDX Build/4.5.1_57_DX5-32) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Mmm, maybe 7 or 8 steps. There are no trees outside for anchors. Guess a two person job it is. The thought of building a garage later is in the future, but not right now...
    Where are you located?

Last edited by jcrawford; 08-31-11 at 07:51 AM. Reason: notifications

Lifer

I'm in natick, but won't be moving in until oct.

Rebuild the bulkhead to have a concrete ramp with a french drain at the bottom.

Screw the ramp, build an elevator.

It's sketchy.

I had planned to keep my bike in the basement, which at first thought seems simple enough to just make a ramp and get a few guys to help bring it down....not so much.

The likelihood of it getting scratched was too high for me....throw it in a storage unit with climate control (if there is one close by) for the winter.

Lifer

I have one now, but thought getting a house would do it. It will be fine in the shed if I can't get it in

Just get a couple guys to lift it!

We did this for a couple years. Wood plank as a ramp, a winch, beer and lots of swearing.

We now use a friend's garage for storage.

Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

2WT

I need to figure out what I am going to do with my bike this winter season. I left mine in the driveway covered last season WILL NOT do that with this bike. I was thinking of bringing it to Cycles128 before I saw how the service dept was first hand. They want $70/mo so I think I will be taking it to Break Lites in Peabody as they are cheaper but don't recall the rate right now.

I thought about getting a storage unit and then found out they are about $80/mo for the unit.

I was thinking about sharing a unit with someone else but then wondered how that would work with insurance if any claims needed to be made.

Last edited by jcrawford; 08-31-11 at 11:29 AM. Reason: notifications

2WT

you could always remove the stairs from the bulk and put in a lift which would lift a metal platform up put the bike on, hold a button go down and then wheel it into the basement

That would actually be pretty slick.

Posting Freak

If you have enough space behind the bulkhead, I agree with Duncan. Helped a friend do that so he could work on his quads/dirtbikes/motorcycle in the basement. We actually ended up widening the opening to the basement and he had a nice wide paved "ramp" going in. The french drain is pretty important obviously and also don't forget to shovel it out all winter or you will be pissed when you can't get the bike out for an early spring/late winter ride....

Nick

I did this once before I heated my garage, so nice working in a heated, well lit space in the winter but what a bitch getting it out. We hammered a 6' pry bar into the ground and just used a come-along. Watch the header pipes at the top of the stairs though!

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar
    Wirelessly posted (HTC EVO "DROID" : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/GRI40) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Had my bike in a basement once. Getting it out required 3 people. We pushed it up the ramp until it was at the top. 1 person held it while the other 2 lifted the bottom of the ramp so the transition was pretty even. I think we had a second ramp on the outside because there was a step up too. Pretty sure we did something similar to get it in.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by rice_rocket View Post
    Can you use your car for an anchor? Off roaders use a Danforth anchor. You can also use a couple dirt screws used for dog lines etc. You can even get fancy with a couple of 2x4's to make an A-frame.

I carry this in my V-Strom for emergency use: those are called anchor shackles.

But at home I have a tackle made of a Harken double block, a plain block, and a ratcheting block. I've pulled bikes backwards into vans or lifted them out of holes with it, alone.

Last edited by Garandman; 08-31-11 at 03:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    Wirelessly posted (HTC EVO "DROID" : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/GRI40) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Had my bike in a basement once. Getting it out required 3 people. We pushed it up the ramp until it was at the top. 1 person held it while the other 2 lifted the bottom of the ramp so the transition was pretty even. I think we had a second ramp on the outside because there was a step up too. Pretty sure we did something similar to get it in.
    this is kinda how i got the RC in my basement, had 1 guy to help.
    1 ramp the down stairs,a long plank and 2 cinder blocks stacked up and in the center like a see saw. walked the bike up the plank running and shut it down once in the middle, then its all down hill from there. my helper had to lift the plank a little bit to clear but half the bike was in the hole already.

also take the body off before you do anything

2006 RC51/RVT1000R - 1993 Yamaha TW200
    Past. 2000 RC51/RVT1000R *1308 - 1989 CBR600F1 'Hurricane"

When I had my R7 and lived in my parents basement, I brought it down there every winter. It was a full basement and full set of stairs. I used a 16' plank and had 5' of it hanging outside and the rest inside. Used the bulkhead entrance as a seesaw for the plank, kept the bike in gear, had a friend holding the front brake and I balanced the bike and kept the rear tire on the plank as it slid down the ramp. I would never have tried it alone, 2 people going in the basement and 3 coming out.

Yamaha

Just buy an 8x10 shed.

Kawasaki rider

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast