Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

New helmet brand?

New helmet brand?

Quote Originally Posted by hqp921 View Post
    Rummy, less aerodynamic drag is great -- but for commuting and weekend rides, is it a necessity? (I'm not looking for an answer necessarily, just throwing this out there.)(PS You were trying to sell an SV, right? How'd that go?)
    To get a little Zen on you... is anything necessary? I just think its a neat feature of some of the helmets.

p.s. the SV sold real effing quick... should have asked for more money. Oh well, it felt like a hoopty after riding around on the 636 for a while.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

New helmet brand?

Quote Originally Posted by Rummy View Post
    To get a little Zen on you... is anything necessary? I just think its a neat feature of some of the helmets.
    Sorry if it seemed like an attack on you - it wasn't meant to be. It was more just thinking out loud.

p.s. the SV sold real effing quick... should have asked for more money. Oh well, it felt like a hoopty after riding around on the 636 for a while.
    Good!

Geeze... I was thinking my next bike might be an SV... maybe I'll need to be more squidly...

New helmet brand?

i like my exo-700 and so does my wife

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBitch View Post
    From my experience, its the natural red heads (aka gingers) that have no soul--- I mean are crazy.

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

New helmet brand?

Quote Originally Posted by bigred875 View Post
    i like my exo-700 and so does my wife
    I like your wife's helmet too. It was the scheme I would buy before I saw the new Burst color scheme.

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

New helmet brand?

I caught a Scorpion Rep out showing the Exo - 1000 to a dealership near my house about 2 months ago. It felt really comfortable and If I could have bought the demo unit, I would have. I think its going to be a decent helmet and as soon as shops actually get the orders in i'm gonna get one. I have a hjc cl-15 now and I hate it. It's a decent helm, but i read earlier in this thread that they had to change pads to a diff size. I had to do the same thing from L to XS pads and it still gets loose. i hear scorpions dont have that problem. Plus the inflatable check is an innovative feature. I also like the lip down sun visor inside. Should save me from having to wear shades or get a tinted visor.

I dont really like the Cost vs Protection conversation. Mainly because I dont have anything informative to add. But I figure as long as your wearing a lid that has a DOT/Snell approval better than that years requirements, you should be golden. Like with anything else in life, You pay for name, accessories, and innovation.

I found this article on a thread from 600RR.net
    Motorcycle Helmet Design, Helmet Standards and Head Protection - Gear Box - Motorcyclist Online
    Good(long) read

Last edited by Ken600RR; 06-26-07 at 05:22 PM.
    --Motorcycles are a balance between trust and physics. you just have to trust that your tires will work, and hope the 10 little asian guys that designed the bike got an A+ in physics

New helmet brand?

I have an EXO-400 matte black and I love it. They are very comfortable. I can't really compare to other helmets since this is my first and I specifically wanted a scorpion. I am thinking of upgrading to a 700 and keeping the 400 for a passenger. It is true the company has been around for a while, but the helmets aren't overly seen until this year. I would love to try a 1000, but stores won't have them till about September and they are rather pricey. The looks far exceed the previous models though.

New helmet brand?

Quote Originally Posted by Bowflex View Post
    I have an EXO-400 matte black and I love it. They are very comfortable. I can't really compare to other helmets since this is my first and I specifically wanted a scorpion. I am thinking of upgrading to a 700 and keeping the 400 for a passenger. It is true the company has been around for a while, but the helmets aren't overly seen until this year. I would love to try a 1000, but stores won't have them till about September and they are rather pricey. The looks far exceed the previous models though.
    $299 - $329 isn't pricey for a helmet with all the features that the EXO-1000 has.

|

New helmet brand?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken600RR View Post
    I dont really like the Cost vs Protection conversation. Mainly because I dont have anything informative to add. But I figure as long as your wearing a lid that has a DOT/Snell approval better than that years requirements, you should be golden. Like with anything else in life, You pay for name, accessories, and innovation.

I found this article on a thread from 600RR.net
    Motorcycle Helmet Design, Helmet Standards and Head Protection - Gear Box - Motorcyclist Online
    Good(long) read
    That's what I figure too... I'm not knockin' anyone for owning a helmet that costs more than what I make in a week either. It's just that -- I can't justify buying more helmet than what is needed (whether it's a name, features, or whatever).

That article's interesting -- thanks!

Seems like Scorpion has a good product line with a good price to boot.
    I like the features of the 1000, but dig some of the 700 color schemes.

New helmet brand?

Quote Originally Posted by KillBill View Post
    Buy a SHOEI RF1000
    Buy what fits your head best!

Unfortunately I have an Arai Quantum shaped head.

I'm kinda wishing I had a cheaper head shape......

Jake
    2006 ZX-10R
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

New helmet brand?

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Snake View Post

Unfortunately I have an Arai Quantum shaped head.

I'm kinda wishing I had a cheaper head shape......
    You may able to adjust the padding in a helmet to fit your head for considerably less money and still get a great quality helmet.

|

New helmet brand?

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Snake View Post
    Oh yeah, that's a good point. I usually say, "Buy whichever gear you'll wear."

If you buy leathers, but don't ever wear them for whatever reason, what's the point?

For me, I commute, so textile/mesh seperates were the better way to go, although I'd like a leather suit for those times I'm just going for a ride.

New helmet brand?

Quote Originally Posted by hqp921 View Post
    For me, I commute, so textile/mesh seperates were the better way to go, although I'd like a leather suit for those times I'm just going for a ride.
    What's wrong w/ commuting w/ a leather jacket? I have both leather pants and textile pants that zip to my leather jacket. (and textile jacket, which I rarely ever wear)

Why not load your work clothes in a tank bag and change when you get to work? Or is that not an option?

I commute 50 miles each way to work, so I like to be as comfortable and safe as possible. On most days, I wear my textile pants over shorts (on hot days) or jeans and bring my khakis in a tank bag. The textiles seem to wrinkle the khakis too much and looks like crap.

|

New helmet brand?

Quote Originally Posted by 97BladeRider View Post
    What's wrong w/ commuting w/ a leather jacket? I have both leather pants and textile pants that zip to my leather jacket. (and textile jacket, which I rarely ever wear)
    Nothing. But my budget at gear time allowed me to buy a textile jacket. There are some decent leather ones at NewEnough - as I'm sure other online moto-stores.

Why not load your work clothes in a tank bag and change when you get to work? Or is that not an option?
    My tank bag isn't that big. But I could always strap it to the tail.

I just don't like the hassle of changing. [IB: what about the hassle of road rash]

I commute 50 miles each way to work, so I like to be as comfortable and safe as possible. On most days, I wear my textile pants over shorts (on hot days) or jeans and bring my khakis in a tank bag. The textiles seem to wrinkle the khakis too much and looks like crap.
    Right now, I only have mesh pants that I wear over my khakis. My khakis are wrinkle-free and stain-resistant, lol. Of course, my commute is a quick zip up 122 (Blackstone to Whitinsville).

PS: For you leather folks... perforated leathers: how cold can it be before it's too cold (or do you just wear UnderArmour or something underneath? I have a pair of perforated leather gloves... and I remember riding in the fall when the temps were just below 50... couldn't really feel my hands after a while.

I'm thinking I'd probably buy perforated leather and not solid.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12