Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Hey ladies... and short guys :D

So I'm thinking it's time for an upgrade from my ninja finally. After a fun rip with some of the boys, and choosing to hop on with Oreo for the ride (thanks again) I realize my bike couldn't of made passes as effectively w/ what it's got, and I think it's time for something I will be upset with if/when I dump it

My question to you: What should I get?

I am 5'3" and 115lbs. aka, I'm little, I have longer legs, I can flat foot the new 696 monster, and I'd also want to put risers on it for me to sit upright, I kind of have T-rex arms lol. This option seems a little costly to invest in this since I don't ride as much. But... if I had something that could keep up, in my mind I may make an effort to socialize more and rip around more in general.

I love that the ninja is very nimble, I think about turning and it does, it's light too, so if I do drop it (sigh again) I can pick it up on my own ok.
    I hate that it's carbureted, so obnoxious, anything less than constant mindfulness of stabil etc will leave me with clogged jets. UGH, and let's be honest, there's not much that's 'sexy' about it either.
    I'm also thinking an older monster might make sense, but I hear the maintenance sucks on them.

I'd love to just go 600 or so range, I don't want to/need to have a ridiculous amount of power, just something other than 8 seconds to get to 60mph

Anyone have feedback on what they've ridden and what the pros/cons are to them?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Bopida Beepoo

I'm no good for this question... Because I'm not short or small... But I can tell you I tip toe when straight up on my cbr600rr, can flat foot with a lean - and I'm 5'7" - but have shortish legs for my height... If you're ever in the area I'd gladly let you take her for a spin to get a feel

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    If you ain't first......you're last!

Re: Hey ladies... and short guys :D

I'm not short...but what about the Ninja EX650?

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

How about an SV650? Good for the street, '03+ is fuel injected, they can be lowered easily and narrower/lower seats are available. You can get an unfaired version with handlebars or a faired version with clip-ons. They're pretty light (I often hop on ninja 250s at the bike show and feel comfortable with the weight right away) and the insurance is way less than a 600cc sportbike.

My friend just bought his girlfriend a first gen and lowered it for her right away. She's 5'2.

Last edited by golden chicken; 08-26-12 at 04:52 PM.
    What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by golden chicken View Post
    How about an SV650? Good for the street, '03+ is fuel injected, they can be lowered easily and narrower/lower seats are available. You can get an unfaired version with handlebars or a faired version with clip-ons. They're pretty light (I often hop on ninja 250s at the bike show and feel comfortable with the weight right away) and the insurance is way less than a 600cc sportbike.

My friend just bought his girlfriend a first gen and lowered it for her right away. She's 5'2.
    I know it's blasphemy but I've never liked the look of these things... yeah, I know, I'm an asshole. I've seen full faired and liked them better than nakeds, and I know a ton of people start on them and they're cheap too from what I gather. So this may not be a bad choice. How much lowering did it need?

Bopida Beepoo

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    I'm not short...but what about the Ninja EX650?
    I'd be ok with lowering stuff if I had to, looks nice too, like the F/I, that's a must on the list for sure.

Bopida Beepoo

I'm not offended at all. Everyone has different tastes. The Ninja 650 seems like a great alternative if you like the styling better. I prefer the sound of a V-twin over the sound of a parallel twin if that matters at all.

My friend says he's not entirely sure of how much he lowered the rear(homemade lowering links), but he did set the triples about an inch below the tops of the forks.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by golden chicken; 08-26-12 at 05:13 PM.
    What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

BMW f800r

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

Quote Originally Posted by Sheppo View Post
    BMW f800r
    I got to check out one of the grand touring BMWs this week, it was ridiculous, and cost more than my car lol, thing was amazing, every bell and whistle I could imagine.

I'm not a huge fan of them looks wise, but they do have a lot of great technology.

Bopida Beepoo

I don't fall into either category, but what about a GSXR 600? If you go with used, they are all over the place and for decent prices. If you decide to go new, they are currently offering 0% financing up to 4 years. Not a bad deal. And they can easily be lowered. There was a girl named Jojo in Las Vegas Extremes a bunch of years ago (stunt group) that rode a 750 she had lowered. I think she was all of 4'10", and damn could she ride!

SV. Leeza's 5'3 and hers is not lowered.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Krazy Again View Post
    I don't fall into either category, but what about a GSXR 600? If you go with used, they are all over the place and for decent prices. If you decide to go new, they are currently offering 0% financing up to 4 years. Not a bad deal. And they can easily be lowered. There was a girl named Jojo in Las Vegas Extremes a bunch of years ago (stunt group) that rode a 750 she had lowered. I think she was all of 4'10", and damn could she ride!
    Something about that "Gixxah kid" thing..... I am a guido so I suppose I could rock one with pride lol, good call on them being everywhere though, and if that broad could swing it being that short, I think I'd be ok, she wasn't wearing stripper boots on it was she?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    SV. Leeza's 5'3 and hers is not lowered.
    That's two for the SV. How's she like it? Any specific things she loves/hates?

Bopida Beepoo

Quote Originally Posted by Priv View Post
    Something about that "Gixxah kid" thing..... I am a guido so I suppose I could rock one with pride lol, good call on them being everywhere though, and if that broad could swing it being that short, I think I'd be ok, she wasn't wearing stripper boots on it was she?
    Maybe a few times she wore stripper boots. But truth, she could ride the hell out of that thing! And about the gixxah thing....ANY lady looks hot on a sportbike no matter the brand!

I have a 30" inseam and can flat-foot my SV1000 (both sides) in boots.

Edit: Not stripper boots- I don't wear mine when I ride.

Last edited by dontpanic; 08-26-12 at 05:48 PM.
    Go fast. Have fun. Repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Krazy Again View Post
    Maybe a few times she wore stripper boots. But truth, she could ride the hell out of that thing! And about the gixxah thing....ANY lady looks hot on a sportbike no matter the brand!
    WTF are you on? ANY lady?

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    WTF are you on? ANY lady?
    Sometimes you gotta take one for the team smuttster, even the fatties need some love

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Bopida Beepoo

I'm not a Duc fan, but If you really like the Monster's just buy one and deal with the maintenance. You gotta ride what you like and worry about the rest later.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Lifer

I'm short too.. if you're talking a 30" inseam .. My biggest surprise is to find out that the new to me 93 900rr could be stock adjusted and I can still flat foot it.. but the other bikes I had couldn't.

I put a lowering link on my 05 R6 and I loved it. I sold it to a girl that was probably 5'2 or 3 and she could put her feet down, but not all the way flat, would need boots or something with a little heel. The R6 was pretty light as well. I'm not sure your budget either, but I really liked it and didn't have problems with the bars being too far over either. My 05 Fz6 was probably the most comfortable with the bars being higher, it also has a narrow seat so i could touch the ground pretty well without lowering.

Quote Originally Posted by Priv View Post
    Sometimes you gotta take one for the team smuttster, even the fatties need some love
    Im not against a lil cushion, but the face has to be there.

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    I'm not a Duc fan, but If you really like the Monster's just buy one and deal with the maintenance. You gotta ride what you like and worry about the rest later.
    True, but I've never even ridden a monster, I'm in the dark on everything other than my msf bike and the 250, so finding out pros and cons from people who've ridden certain things is kind of what I'm trying to gain to see what styles create what inconveniences for people and what people love.

Anything would be better than my bike not starting all the time

Bopida Beepoo

Quote Originally Posted by rice_rocket View Post
    I'm short too.. if you're talking a 30" inseam .. My biggest surprise is to find out that the new to me 93 900rr could be stock adjusted and I can still flat foot it.. but the other bikes I had couldn't.

I put a lowering link on my 05 R6 and I loved it. I sold it to a girl that was probably 5'2 or 3 and she could put her feet down, but not all the way flat, would need boots or something with a little heel. The R6 was pretty light as well. I'm not sure your budget either, but I really liked it and didn't have problems with the bars being too far over either. My 05 Fz6 was probably the most comfortable with the bars being higher, it also has a narrow seat so i could touch the ground pretty well without lowering.
    The fz6 is another one I know of out there that appears to have the stance I'd like, one thing I do know is that upright is what I'd lean towards. Working as a retail slave has made it difficult to want to ride long hours hunched over, my lower back and legs get destroyed.

Bopida Beepoo

I"m 5'2 & I ride a 600..mine was lowered some & I'm good on it. I"d say go with a 600 & just have it lowered, this way you don't have to go with something else later on.

I had my 600f3 lowered but then brought it back up. The 848 was lowered and brought back up a bit with mouse spring changes. I also went to riser clipons so I wasnt as leaned over the gas tank. Anything can be tweaked. Im only 5'1

Vicki

Quote Originally Posted by 06gixgirl View Post
    I"m 5'2 & I ride a 600..mine was lowered some & I'm good on it. I"d say go with a 600 & just have it lowered, this way you don't have to go with something else later on.
    has the lowering affected the ride of it at all?

Quote Originally Posted by solgirl View Post
    I had my 600f3 lowered but then brought it back up. The 848 was lowered and brought back up a bit with mouse spring changes. I also went to riser clipons so I wasnt as leaned over the gas tank. Anything can be tweaked. Im only 5'1

I always forget just how many shorties are on this board I'm not too hip to the things you can do to alter bikes since I've never done anything myself, the ninja was just fine the way it was, in fact, my big ass didn't fit on the corbin seat quite right so I brought that back to stock too

Bopida Beepoo

Just bought an 08 sv650 s. I love it. its by no means an upright bike, but the gen 2 look is sexy imho. Its plenty peppy and smooth as hell. I had an ex500r.. Very low to the ground, but if looks are an issue, its a no on the ex.
    Don't let the beginners label distract you. the sv650 is plenty of bike. Its also very light and nimble.

09 Ex500- totalled
    08 SV650s!!!

Cages: Ford Excursion
    Ford Mustang Gt
    Toyota Rav4

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast