Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Intent to conceal identity?

Re: Intent to conceal identity?

I hope you did a sweet burnout and left the traffic stop in a wheelie while flipping the bird.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Is there any other way?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Even if you are breaking a traffic law, the officer has a duty to treat you in a fair manner. Escalating the confrontation verbally is against (what I recall) the code of conduct and training for the officer. Had you been recording the whole time, that sort of thing could of gotten that officer a reprimand (not really thanks to the fucking unions, more like stern talking to) and your ticket potentially dropped.

My wife was on her way back from Springfield by Quabbin on 202. She was going faster than she should. The officer tagged her right at the lookout. He then lectured her about how this stretch of road is known as the "meat locker" and people die from speeding and then bears or mountain lions drag their bodies from the mangled cars and hang them from trees. He spoke down to her like she was a 5 year old. Intent? To get her to slow down, I'm sure. Result? A shaken and frightened citizen who felt harassed by a person in a position of authority.

She wrote a factual letter to the chief of the town (Pelham I think?). Turns out this particular officer has done this in the past. Chief said to fight the ticket (even though she admitted guilt of speeding), he showed up to the hearing and asked to have it dropped, which the magistrate happily obliged to do. Chief apologized for the actions of his officer.

Moral of the story:

They are public service employees. Every single person they interact with deserves the same respect and courtesy that is presented to them at the beginning of the interaction. I can't imagine you being anything other than the Paul we all know, so unless you unloaded on the guy or acted different than my inclination, he should of offered you the same level of respect and professionalism. If he didn't, make sure you bring this up to his superior. Having something like this on video/audio is just another tool to make sure they do their jobs as trained/intended.

8 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by TheIglu; 06-03-14 at 12:00 PM.
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    Gilk was also recently upheld in federal court in a NH case.

Record away at the officer.

http://rt.com/usa/162272-police-film-appeals-court/
    The Free State Project strikes again!

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    that sort of thing could of gotten that officer a reprimand (not really thanks to the fucking unions, more like stern talking to)
    This has nothing to do with your disdain for public unions, rambunctious, I mean Clayton,

A formal complaint will be filed with the employees record, and could lead to disciple (depending on the offense, and perceived credibility)
    I agree, if someone is a dick for no reason, report the bastard, but do it in the proper way so it's not brushed off as another citizen complaint. (Because John Q. Public isn't really happy unless they have something to bitch about, and police/fire chiefs see shitloads of complaints daily for anything you can think of, many are unwarranted. )

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by rolker View Post
    So what was the outcome? Did the court believe the trooper's claim? Also, did the trooper snap a picture himself when he issued the ticket to back up his claim?
    The judge believed him. No picture. I had to pay.

I tell cops like that to FUCK OFF. Directly to their face. Yes, I get arrested. Yes, it gets thrown out in court. Yes, I get to tell the prick that hes a prick. Then...I smile

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

The best part was he didn't even pull me over. The bike was parked in front of my shop and I was getting ready to go for a ride.

Quote Originally Posted by jwm2k3 View Post
    I tell cops like that to FUCK OFF. Directly to their face. Yes, I get arrested. Yes, it gets thrown out in court. Yes, I get to tell the prick that hes a prick. Then...I smile
    Intent to conceal identity?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1401832178-316151-jpg

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Surely he has better criminals to pursue?

It's MA. Soft on criminals. Hard on good people. It's how they roll.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jwm2k3 View Post

Wish I could say I had the balls to do that.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

youve got a 675 right? kid at work has one with the plate on a hinge with the little wheel that rolls on the fender. totally legal in NH. although, NH laws for bike inspections are very grey and according to them...the plate has to be clean and legible. it can even be sideways. i tried to look up the RSA in MA but it didnt come right up. but i did find this in the FAQs

By state law, Massachusetts license plates must be readable from 60 feet away. Any green or red passenger plate, which has lost its reflective coating or paint or has been damaged, must be replaced. You can also be cited by law enforcement for this violation. The RMV encourages vehicle owners to swap illegible plates for a set of red plates at no fee. Faded and illegible plates can be swapped at any of the RMV's full serivce branch locations. A red plate that is lost or damaged can also be ordered at any branch or by calling the RMV Telephone Center at 857-368-8000. The cost of replacing these plates is $10 a plate and will be mailed to the registered owner.

now by reading that i would say that with your scrawny ass on it, it should be more than legible since the kid at work is about 300#s and i can read his with him on it. i will try to get a copy of the inspection rules from our MA dealer and see if they can shed some light on it. if its legible from 60 ft and lit then id tell that cop to go screw and id keep a copy of the RSA with my reg to show him.

as for the exhaust, i know the laws in MA are stupid. its like 82Db at 45mph from 50ft away or half of redline while sitting still is 99Db
    the blinkers IDK, in NH they have to blink and be visible from X amount of feet away. but it doesnt have to be stock

with your small physique, he probably thought you were either a chick and then was disappointed you werent or you were some young punk kid until you took your helmet off and he saw you were 100

Last edited by SVRACER01; 06-03-14 at 06:51 PM.
    When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

I would note that you purchased the bike as-is, it cleared through a state inspection, and in your opinion was visible, so you were unaware that there were any issues with it or the other items. Show proof that you've rectified the issue and see if it'll get thrown out.

But back to basics... is this considered a moving violation? If not, your time to fight it is definitely worth more than $40, I'd just pay it.

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103
    PPS | Dunlop | Boston Moto | Woodcraft & Armour Bodies | 35 Motorsports | Pit Bull | K&N

BTW, I had a larger ticket from a rude state trooper saying my window tint was illegal years back. He flew by me at 90, slammed on his brakes, cut someone off to get right behind me, and pulled me over. I was very polite, while he flipped out, pulled my gf at the time out of the car and scared the shit out of her, and physically scraped off my inspection sticker (which I legally obtained and passed), and gave me a big ticket. Seemed like he thought I was a punk gangbanger or something trying to hide a gun from him or some shit, idfk. I got a shop to give me a certificate saying that the light throughput on the windows exceeded state minimums and fought the ticket and won. He didn't show up.

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103
    PPS | Dunlop | Boston Moto | Woodcraft & Armour Bodies | 35 Motorsports | Pit Bull | K&N

in NH, the front windows cant be tinted at all...unless you have a waiver.
    amanda recently obtained said waiver. it took having an eye dr fill out a form and then amanda filling a form which included a copy of the vehicle reg that the tint would be applied to and then mailed in for consideration. having all the paperwork doesnt guarantee the waiver.
    she got her windows tinted to match the rest of the factory tint which i would say is approx 35%. less than 1 week later she gets pulled over for it. she shows the cop the waiver and he lets her go. she asked if the waiver is attached to the reg, meaning, when you run the plate doesnt it come up that you have the waiver? the answer...no.
    she realized then that the days of having anything more than a beer or 2 and driving is over

Last edited by SVRACER01; 06-03-14 at 07:09 PM.

I've lived eho for years and have ridden some jacked up shit around here, never got that sort of reaction from any of them even when I deserved it. Sucks to hear about this....

Quote Originally Posted by OreoGaborio View Post
    Welllllll I wasn't quite a coach at the time
    I may have used it when I was a coach...

It worked.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post
    Pm me if you would like advice on fighting this. Perhaps discuss it on the way to NH later today to surf?

Unfortunately, I hear many stories of mass state troupers pulling drill instructor BS on traffic stops on 91, perhaps to see if they can get the stoppee in more trouble. Shockingly, they refuse to carry video cameras in their cars to record all this, and you may be charged with a crime for recording them without their knowledge.

I'm also shocked he didn't claim you were speeding, too loud, or making a improper lane change. What's the fine for the license plate deal?

Probably what set him off was the inability of his auto-plate-reader to run your RMV and criminal record without any effort on his part, as he blows by you doing 90 (which is entirely safe for HIM, because he took a couple days special driver training)
    you may be for sure...but its doubtful you'd be convicted, as there's precedence in the courts already concerning this, and in MA no less...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glik_v._Cunniffe

either way, getting arrested and charged sucks donkey, especially for simply recording the goings on of a public official.

Quote Originally Posted by yasure View Post
    I've lived eho for years and have ridden some jacked up shit around here, never got that sort of reaction from any of them even when I deserved it. Sucks to hear about this....
    Try riding or driving through with an out of state plate. CT plate on anything other than a harley you might as well paint a target on your back.

Last edited by 01xj; 06-03-14 at 09:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 01xj View Post
    Try riding or driving through with an out of state plate. CT plate on anything other than a harley you might as well paint a target on your back.
    The local MA cop let me go without even a warning with 52 on 30

To all those citing Glik in response to what I posted:

Glik is not on point with what I posted. It addresses OPEN, not secret, recording of police. See these incidents, all in Mass and all since Glik:

http://wpri.com/2014/03/06/massachus...cer-in-street/
    http://www.dmlp.org/blog/2012/anothe...-massachusetts
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1791030

Now, informing the cops they are being recorded is certainly permissible, but opens other worm cans. We are already far enough off topic...

Cops have by far the upper hand in traffic stops, because of their power to charge, their credibility with judges, and the incredibly vague elements of some pretty serious MV charges, both civil and criminal. Personally, when I get pulled over, I expect them to antagonize me to see if I will react, and I "yes sir/no sir" them to death while laughing silently about those boots and Gestapo hat...

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Boots and Gestapo heat

:rofl

Too many bikes to list
    http://oneguytwowheels.blogspot.com/
    Mosdt likely drunkd

Actually according to https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...3tvkU8jh1wbPrw
    "recognized that it is clearly established in this circuit that police officers cannot, consistently with the Constitution, prosecute citizens for wiretapping laws when they peacefully record a police officer performing his or her official duties in a public area".

In other words there is no expectation of privacy for a police officer performing official duties in public and therefore recording those activities is not illegal. That and a few hundred thousand dollars in lawyer fees should keep you out of jail.

It is a problem that the officer can arrest you regardless of the actual law, and is exactly what is going on in the NH case as she has decided to push the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by AEG View Post
    The local MA cop let me go without even a warning with 52 on 30
    I have a relative who is a LEO and he does not give speeding tickets to bikes who pull over, unless they act like total dicks.

So some of you would still be fucked.

And in the case posted by jasnmar the NH police seized the phone, and upon (allegedly) being unsuccessful in opening not only the attempted recording from that night, but ALL recordings on the phone, the cops sent the phone to the state crime lab so that lab could try to open the files! Talk about the fox in charge of the hen house!

In an AMAZING coincidence, looks like the phone wasn't able to record the arrest...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast