Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Mini Racing - NEMM

Re: Mini Racing - NEMM

I know nothing about this stuff, so wait did i just read right that 125 gp slicks will fit my yz85!?!? I was wondering how i could put slicks on my pit bike

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

It's legal, Jenaka was on a 12" wheeled KLX in the Aircooled (pavement and dirt) class for example. There is a Pitbike class (pavement only) still too, although no-one's entered it this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave603 View Post
    I know nothing about this stuff, so wait did i just read right that 125 gp slicks will fit my yz85!?!? I was wondering how i could put slicks on my pit bike
    If you have a 17" front wheel, and not the 19" 'big wheel / expert' setup, then a 125gp front slick will squeeze on and work. The 14" rear wheel doesn't get as good tire choices but there are tires that will work like Pirelli SL26s, etc. If it's a 'big wheel / expert' setup with a 16" rear, put a BT45 on.

i remember watching some pitbike race on youtube that was after an LRRS event. I think it was just purely for fun, do they ever do that anymore?

I haven't heard of any being scheduled for this year, but that doesn't mean it won't happen?

I've also looked into what would be required to do a full on pikebike event at NHMS... It'd be hilarious but I don't think we could get enough people to jump in to make it viable. :/

Best place to order tires from? I think my ttr is 17 front and 14 rear...

Find a vendor you like? I personally try to work with the local dealership when I can, on the tire front they went above and beyond for me on pricing so I was very happy. These are not flashy high end tires, they're also not super common sizes so odds are no place local will have them on the shelves, FYI. Supermoto Junkie has a mini section with a few good tire threads also FYI.

On the 17" front you can either go 125GP slick, aka find a take off from the track, or I'd steer you towards BT45s in a 100/80-17. For the rear, it looks like Pirelli has some 14" options that aren't foolishly oversized and should be good rubber: http://www.pirelli.com/tire/us/en/mo...oter%26use%3D1 A 100/90-14 Diablo Scooter should be just the trick.

Lifer

Everyone I've talked to says the Bridgestone B45 is the tire to have if looking for a 16 (ie for the XR/CRF100). "We've tried them all and the others are crap."

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Everyone I've talked to says the Bridgestone B45 is the tire to have if looking for a 16 (ie for the XR/CRF100). "We've tried them all and the others are crap."
    After having a BT45 in back and a 125gp slick up front, I'm ready to say the BT45 is the go to tire for a 17 also. These little bikes just don't put enough load on the tires to get those slicks up to working temp. Net result is they're both working about the same, so if you have to pay for it, spend less and get the BT45. If take offs are available, the 125gp tires are slightly smaller/lighter?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave603 View Post
    It just occurred to me, I have a YZ80 rear wheel with street tire mounted sitting in my garage. If you can get a front tire I'll bring the rear to the next NEMM round in Sept...

I've done the "sportsman" setup with a 2-smokin' 80

the factory non-big wheel setup has a 1.4"x17" front rim and a 1.6"x14" rear rim...the front isn't so bad to find a slick tire since you can get a supermoto/GP 17", but the rear is going to be tricky because it's a 14", and pretty narrow

when picking a tire, you're trying to find one that's the right size, and the right compound: slicks will be stickiest. Street tires can vary in quality and sometimes the wrong size (but sticky) might be better than the right size (but junk quality economy street rubber)

we put a bridgestone racing slick (GP3 or GP3 mono) on the front 1.4" rim...and honestly, with a rim that narrow, I wouldn't want to fit a tire any fatter than that.

it was a pretty good fit...it stuck pretty good and I never had it step out on me

the rear 1.6"x14" wheel was a bit trickier, because bridgestone doesn't make a slick to fit that

we got an Avon viper stryke in a 120 rear

and it did pretty well, however, imho - it's a bit too wide for a 1.6" rear rim. The tire did pudge out a bit, so you couldn't use the full width of the rubber and couldn't push it over too far. I was able to plant her, but it involved sitting back, setting up for the turn, then getting on the pipe. If I wasn't careful and let the bike "transition" to the pipe without setting up for the turn properly, she would start to slide out. If I did it again, I might try a 90, but probably just put on a 100 width rear

either way, they're two tons of fun...get out there guys!!

Last edited by breakdirt916; 08-15-14 at 11:05 AM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123