Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Mini Racing - NEMM

Lifer

Re: Mini Racing - NEMM

I must not be familiar enough with dirt bikes. I read much of that page several times and am only now seeing some models listed. Forgive my ignorance.

Off to google XR100...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

You won't see specific 'allowed' bikes listed for most classes. There are too many out there to do that. Instead you'll see wheel and engine size limits, from there it's a matter of looking at a bike you think you may want to wrestle on pavement (and dirt if you're inclined) and slotting it into the rules from there.

If this is your first time playing this game, I'd suggest a Honda XR/CRF100 or Yamaha TTR125. Both are readily available, have multiple classes they can run in, are cheap and there are people with lots of experience on them to help you with setup.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Kurlon; 05-15-13 at 06:22 PM.

Lifer

Yeah, but terms like "XR100 Cup" and "XR/CRF80s may run the class" are probably good hints for those that know dirt models. I don't. The closest thing to a dirt bike I've ever ridden is my V-Strom.

As I say, forgive my ignorance.

What about the "big bike" classes? Would a DRZ400SM be appropriate for any of those? My read suggests it fits in 3 of the 5 classes, assuming the rider is middle-aged or better (35+).

The DRZ400SM is never going to be competitive with any proper dirtbike. They're heavy and underpowered compared to even 'detuned' machines like CRF450Xs.

My nephew's ttr is for sale with adult capable suspension and sumo wheels...

http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/mcy/3729701039.html

Nice Kitt just wish I had some cash.

James

boxshop takes full size bikes, hostine one of the new smec rounds I believe... and I think I saw some new asphalt on their page.

Lifer

Bump. This is the thread I should have bumped instead of Claytons.

Boxshop was interesting to see this weekend. I think I wanna try this.

Next opportunity will be Sept 7th, with practice on Sept 6th. Find a machine, slap some BT45s on it and come play!

Lifer

http://www.nhf-racing.com/nemm.html
    ...hand guards (non-metal, open-ended are recommended)...
    What's this about? Seemed like most of the guards I saw were Barkbuster types with aluminum hoops.

You aren't required to have them (I don't, for example) but if you do, the suggestion is non metal open ended ones. That said, full wrap metal ones are legal. The concern is full wrap metal ones can potentially trap your hand in a crash, hence the recommendation in the rule book.

Lifer

XR100 vs TTR125

More I read about these things, the more I think I'd rather sink money into a TTR125L than the Honda 100.

What's the required upgrade path for the TTR? As I understand it, the Honda 100 just needs a ~$50 XR80 wheel, an up-rated spring, and tires. I hear wheels get spendy for the TTR? Yes, no?

How does it class @ Boxshop? Looks like just about everything except the "XR100 cup" and "Vintage 100". Any XR100 I'd buy wouldn't qualify for Vintage anyway.
    Seems like the 125 doesn't fit in GP50 either ("... maximum displacement of ... up to 120cc (4-stroke) ..."). But I see you are the points leader in that class Kurlon. What gives?

I'm running a bone stock TT-R 125LE. Because it is BONE STOCK Aaron is allowing it in GP50 for now. If I so much as look in the airbox I'm out I suspect. Plus I like the stock stealthy exhaust, people can't hear me coming... I'm getting pulled on by other GP50 machines so it seems like a fair match at the moment.

On the wheels front, if you get an 'L' you'll be starting with a 19" front and 16" rear out of the crate. Get a YZ80 / 85 or RM 85 17" front wheel and axle spacers off eBay. For some reason, RM wheels are FAR cheaper used? You'll need to cut down the wheel spacers slightly, and take a hacksaw to the brake caliper bracket (Grab a spare, from a YZ80/85 or TT-R 125LE, again off eBay) and you'll have a narrow 17" wheel for the front that'll accept 125 GP take off slicks if you wanna look cool. Toss a BT45 on the rear, and either a 125 GP slick up front or a BT45, and you're good to go. You'll be legal for GP50 and Aircooled. If you decide you want to de-restrict your TT-R you'll get tossed up into GP80.

For next year I'm working with GMD to properly setup YZ80 forks for my machine. I've got the clamps adapted using a TT-R stem in the YZ clamp set, the bike has been measured so now he's just running the numbers to see how much to shorten them, respring and valve, etc. I dunno if that's going to punt me out of GP50 or not. My primary concern is I do occasionally bottom the forks but have yet to feel the rear hit the stops so I'd like more travel if possible. there are others that believe the better setup is reworked stock forks, lots of ways to go if you decide to toss money at it.

On the motor front, bang for the buck your best perf would be to send your motor to FirePower Minis and let Terry make a 'Riptor' 4v out of it. He has both 125cc and 150cc builds available. BBR big bore kits, etc have nothing on this setup.

You can toss the e-start to drop some multiple pounds off the bike, exhaust drops some weight and allows it to breathe better, toss the airbox, etc. Personally, I like the lazy button, and again, I'm allowed in GP50 'cause it's BONE STOCK. In your case, given you're concerned about big guy on a little bike syndrome I'd steer you towards an aftermarket exhaust and a BBR replacement frame cradle as that's supposed to be the weak link on the bike structurally. There are oversized front brake kits available for the YZ/RM that should bolt up, although the rumor mill says if going that route use an RM hub instead of a YZ as they YZ brake tabs are made out of saltines? I'm betting most of my sub par front brake issues are the factory wet noodle brake line though. Currently I brake by banging down a gear, the front lever is just to pass tech. :/ Based on my conversations with the Bakers, it's the same story on their XRs.

Lifer

You really are mad. I dig it.

Another possibility, Kawasaki KLX 140. Disc brakes front and rear, you can put a KX85 17" front wheel on with zero mods. No direct experience with them so no idea how they race but you'd have a bit more motor under you?

Lifer

Beyond the cost of the machine, tires, and running gear. What kind of rough guestimates should one budget for additional equipment and fees?

Looks like tire warmers are not required. What about transponders? I'm guessing those aren't used.
    Rules say you need number plates "5 or 6 inch black numbers on white back ground. No electrical tape." I presume hardware store stick-on numbers are the norm?
    How are numbers issued?

They "honor" CCS licenses. But if not CCS licensed, looks like $50 for a season, $20 for a one-day, or $120 for 3 years. Pre-entry is $50 + $25 for each additional class.
    What kind of other fees? What is required to get "licensed"?

Costs:

- Bike + Tires + whatever other prep you want
    Figure a set of tires lasting multiple seasons until you REALLY start to put the hammer down. So far neither of my tires shows visible wear. No transponders with NEMM, scoring is done ye olde fashioned way by real live people. Numbers - Pick one you don't see being used, put them on your bike so it's readable by humans. If the scorers can't reliably read your numbers, you don't get scored, simple enough.

On the license front, if you don't have a CCS license, etc, you buy an NEMM license for however long you wish to cover. To get licensed, buy a license. Easy cheesy.

Entry fees are as spelled out, there are no others. There's no pit fee, gate fee, camping fee, electricity fee ('cause there is none, bring your own), etc. Have a license, pay your entry fees, go race.

Lifer

So no course/penguin/whatever. Cool.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

bubs, what are you looking to spend on a mini?

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Lifer

Budget for the machine is $500. Budget all in is <$1k. ... I have all winter.

If I spend more than I did on the SV, I will cry.

Last edited by nhbubba; 08-13-14 at 02:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Budget for the machine is $500. Budget all in is <$1k. ... I have all winter.

If I spend more than I did on the SV, I will cry.
    If you get hooked, it will end in tears.

Looks like fun! I have a nice TTR125 collecting dust....it's the small wheel version, I'll have to see what I need to make it worthy.

Yeah this looks cool. I've got an xr120 bbr kit that runs xr80 wheels. I built it to run Masters of Mini at Cycles 128. It would be nice to use it elsewhere. Minis rule!

Quote Originally Posted by gixxer72 View Post
    Looks like fun! I have a nice TTR125 collecting dust....it's the small wheel version, I'll have to see what I need to make it worthy.
    Um... tires, I believe that's all you need. If you wanna get fancy you can slap on a 16" rear wheel from an L but it's not required.

Quote Originally Posted by klp View Post
    Yeah this looks cool. I've got an xr120 bbr kit that runs xr80 wheels. I built it to run Masters of Mini at Cycles 128. It would be nice to use it elsewhere. Minis rule!
    Bring it up! If everything goes perfect I'll try to run Cycles 128 this year. I was hoping to hit some of the other MoM rounds too but it just hasn't worked out time wise so far.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

is my thumpstar too small to run up at boxshop or is there a 10-12" class?

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast