Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

New motorcycle law in boston/mass?

Re: New motorcycle law in boston/mass?

How is it ignorance? There is a dedicated place for people to walk, as well as at least 75% of the bikes to be, but they choose to be in the road, and then get pissy when cars are doing normal car things.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

I believe the OP was referring to a news story aired on Channel 5 last night about the police, specifically in the North End, enforcing a law on motorcyclists for exhausts that are not labeled as EPA, or whatever labeling it is supposed to be, legal.

For example the guy they showed on the news was laying on his back looking up under his saddlebag for the stamp on his exhaust pipe that indicates that it is legal for road use. The fine is somewhere in the neighborhood of $300 for the violation.

Seems like the law is finally geared more towards the annoying harley guys that rev their straight piped bikes while leaving lights and sitting in traffic then the sportbike crowd. I'm sure that the sportbike crowd that does the rev limiter revs will also be ticketed but like anything, if you aren't riding like an asshat then you shouldn't have a problem.

That being said I'm pretty sure my motard won't make any North End runs this year.

Joel

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    How is it ignorance? There is a dedicated place for people to walk, as well as at least 75% of the bikes to be, but they choose to be in the road, and then get pissy when cars are doing normal car things.
    you can't ride a road bike on the sidewalk. I think they have every right to be on the road, they just need to remember that sharing has to work both ways.
    I've never had a problem with bikes riding single file... Even large groups. It's the 2, 3 abreast crowd that do so as if they're trying to make a point, the riders that can't hold a line when being passed and the folks that think that being on a bike equals having the right of way in all scenarios that drive me nuts.

Last edited by Tricky Mike; 07-01-09 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    I believe the OP was referring to a news story aired on Channel 5 last night about the police, specifically in the North End, enforcing a law on motorcyclists for exhausts that are not labeled as EPA, or whatever labeling it is supposed to be, legal.

For example the guy they showed on the news was laying on his back looking up under his saddlebag for the stamp on his exhaust pipe that indicates that it is legal for road use. The fine is somewhere in the neighborhood of $300 for the violation.

Seems like the law is finally geared more towards the annoying harley guys that rev their straight piped bikes while leaving lights and sitting in traffic then the sportbike crowd. I'm sure that the sportbike crowd that does the rev limiter revs will also be ticketed but like anything, if you aren't riding like an asshat then you shouldn't have a problem.

That being said I'm pretty sure my motard won't make any North End runs this year.

Joel
    Thought I saw something about this...seems to be happening more and more frequently. I'll be keeping the Z out of the North End as well, I KNOW there is no sticker on mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky Mike View Post
    you can't ride a road bike on the sidewalk. I think they have every right to be on the road, they just need to remember that sharing has to work both ways.
    Thats more my point. I think most of these bicyclists just need to use common sense. Theres no better place to ride a bike in the state then up Main St in the middle of the day? Especially when you're riding like a drunk chimp, then get pissy when a car tries to pass you.

Zip Tie Alley #505

I've never had a problem with bikes riding single file... Even large groups. It's the 2, 3 abreast crowd that do so as if they're trying to make a point, the riders that can't hold a line when being passed and the folks that think that being on a bike equals having the right of way in all scenarios that drive me nuts.
    Especially competitively you can't ride a road bike on the sidewalk, it's near impossible. I average 18-25 mph in my rides which is not an easy pace, you can't do that on a sidewalk dodging people walking their dogs and little kids in strollers.

I ride with Bike Alley in Worcester, and the ONLY time we ride two abreast is on empty backroads, that's where we "wick it up" and compete for our town lines and such. Whenever a car is behind us the call is immediately sent out for "car back" and everybody files into a single file line to allow the car to pass.

It's very ignorant to be bashing a sport like cycling because they share the roads with us, while we complain in many other threads about the people that would love to see every motorcycle off the road. Lets stay away from double standards.

Quote Originally Posted by kb1ioq View Post
    Especially competitively you can't ride a road bike on the sidewalk, it's near impossible.
    Yah, people that cant ride a straight line down Comm Ave in Boston or Main street in any town are definitetly worried about being competitive.
    Im not bashing people that ride bikes, I'm riding morons that CANT ride bikes, do it in the busiest areas they can find, and then piss and moan about cars doing their normal thing.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Boy you guys woulda loved the tool roller blading up a state highway I came across yesterday. Couldn't be near the white line, the pavement was all cracked and uneven. This pinhead was in the dead center of the lane...holding up traffic because he couldn't do 30mph, downhill and with 35mph tail wind.

States want more money, well, why aren't bicycles ridden on the streets registered, and people forced to carry insurance? I've wondered how much hell life would be if they caused an accident, that destroys my car/bike. And I've seen them almost do it numerous times. The same for x-country skiers on snowmobile trails in VT. No more sled, but when I had one I had to pay a lot of money each year to ride it in VT. If I was not on my land and stepped off the groomed section of trail, I am legally trespassing. If I haven't paid VAST / Club dues, same thing...but if I have cross country skis, I am fine. I have to pay to use the trails, well they should to.

Generally I really don't care that they ride where ever. If they put me or others in danger, then they deserve a ticket like anyone else on the road. But what really puzzles me, why do ya wanna dance with 3000+ pound vehicles at 50mph? At least on the bike I can out accelerate / brake most other vehicles on the road, I can do the speed limit, my gear is going to keep me a lot safer than spandex and best of all, I don't have to shave my legs so I can go wikkit fastah.

Share the road people

DB impeding the flow of traffic then getting bitchy about it is way more fun and another way for entitled pricks to spout off.

PS you want us to share the road, share my registration fees, insurance and excise tax.

-Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

Yah, people that cant ride a straight line down Comm Ave in Boston or Main street in any town are definitetly worried about being competitive.
    Im not bashing people that ride bikes, I'm riding morons that CANT ride bikes, do it in the busiest areas they can find, and then piss and moan about cars doing their normal thing.
    I know what you mean... I work in Framingham and I've almost hit guys riding down the middle of the road on their bike swerving around like douches, get real close and it scares them real good.

I don't appreciate Woodsy's comment with regards to people being fascinated with an outdated technology.

Cycling has become widely popular with higher gas prices and people trying to "get in shape" because it's low impact. What sucks is that just like motorcycling, the idiots make us all look like tools and I start getting run into ditches and gutters in the road because rednecks in their pick-ups had a bad experience passing some idiot and takes it out on me (yeah it has happened).

I once had a guy stupid enough to check a beer can at me out of his truck, I was riding on the shoulder, a good 2 feet out of the driving lane, he slowed down and pegged me with it. Lucky for him he wasn't paying attention to the state cop coming the other way. The cop stopped him and asked me if I'd like to press charges for assault, I said no, but boy did he get a big ticket for it.

Hawk Is Respectable Now WordTooYoMamma's Avatar

I ride with Bike Alley in Worcester, and the ONLY time we ride two abreast is on empty backroads, that's where we "wick it up" and compete for our town lines and such. Whenever a car is behind us the call is immediately sent out for "car back" and everybody files into a single file line to allow the car to pass.

It's very ignorant to be bashing a sport like cycling because they share the roads with us, while we complain in many other threads about the people that would love to see every motorcycle off the road. Lets stay away from double standards.
    Kb1 you are clearly the exception and are probaly not one of the bikers i would open my door for....
    of course bicyclists should have the right to be in the street with the motorists. With that being said there are too many of those stupid bicycle douchebags that dont stop for redlights, ride 2 or 3 abreast, wait in front of you at an intersection waiting for the green. You have to have your cake and eat it fucking too. Wanna be on the road? 1. Stay to the right and out of the cars way. 2. Obey the fucking traffic lights/signs 3. Know that all the motorists on the road are driving something bigger/heavier then you.(Just like motorcycles, if a car hits us, it doesn't matter whos fault it is, you just got hit by a fucking car, your gonna have the bad day)
    The bicyclists that exploit every possible inch of the road yet hide behind the I am on a bicycle you gotta yield to me excuse need deserve to have a door opened in front of them.

/Rant Off

Just Registered The Crashing Tomato's Avatar

:offtopic:

Hoooooly crap kb1ioq you ARE the f-ing Forest Gump of this site. just what haven't you done / been involved with????

---------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by hammadown .....
    The rule is:
    If even Zip Tie Alley says, "no you shouldn't use a zip tie on that" you REALLLLLLY shouldn't use a zip tie on that! lol

I Dance With Will

i only have problem with no passing. too many slow ass cars.

"fuckit!"

Quote Originally Posted by The Crashing Tomato View Post
    :offtopic:

Hoooooly crap kb1ioq you ARE the f-ing Forest Gump of this site. just what haven't you done / been involved with????
    What do you mean??

I Dance With Will

that's right share the road and let me pass whereever i feel it's safe. fuck no passing law.

"fuckit!"

the folks that think that being on a bike equals having the right of way in all scenarios that drive me nuts.
    exactly. bikes want to share the road and have equal respect/rights on public ways? that's fine, i can deal with that. i know some will say "they don't pay excise, registration, etc" but bikes aren't exactly putting much wear on the transit system nor are they really contributing to smog, traffic, etc. the same could generally be said of motorcycles, but that's another issue.

here's my problem: that's not REALLY what they want. the reality is they want motor vehicles to play by the law while cyclists get to run red lights, make illegal left/right/u turns, ride opposite traffic on one-way roads, cut off lanes/intersecting traffic. my favorite is when they have no problem riding up to share a lane with *me* when i'm already moving inside it...but oh no heavens be damned if i pass in-lane while *they* are riding there.

as obnoxious as cambridge is about some things, at least they've figured out how to handle cyclists. they get their own bike lanes on busy streets, and they're required to follow all the same traffic control laws as motor vehicles. you can be cited for running a red light in cambridge on a bicycle, it's the same fine as a motor vehicle (though obviously no SDIP points)...and i've seen it happen. to me, this is a good example of a fair and balanced system for both motor vehicles and cyclists.

Last edited by drop; 07-01-09 at 02:01 PM.
    - Jamie
    2009 K 1300 S

I Dance With Will

Quote Originally Posted by drop View Post

you can be cited for running a red light in cambridge on a bicycle, it's the same fine as a motor vehicle (though obviously no SDIP points)...and i've seen it happen. to me, this is a good example of a fair and balanced system for both motor vehicles and cyclists.
    huh? then im just will not carry a license with me.

whats your name sir?

jhon doe

"fuckit!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kham View Post
    huh? then im just will not carry a license with me.

whats your name sir?

jhon doe
    well, that's obviously up to you if you want to play that game. here's the legal backing for what the cops can do in exchange for your lack of honesty. i'm not sure being potentially arrested is worth the trouble, but to each their own i suppose.

C.85 S.11C
    A police officer taking cognizance of any such violation may request the offender to state his true name and address. Whoever, upon such request, refuses to state his name and address, or states a false name and address or a name and address which is not his name and address in ordinary use, [b]shall be punished by a fine of not less than 20 nor more than 50 dollars. Any such offender so refusing to state his name and address may be arrested without a warrant, but no person shall be arrested without a warrant for any other such violation.

- Jamie
    2009 K 1300 S

turning water into watts Woodsy's Avatar

I don't appreciate Woodsy's comment with regards to people being fascinated with an outdated technology.

awww somebody's lance armstrong replica bike shorts are one size two small. I have offended a lot of people for a lot of things but someone getting butthurt over a bicycle comment is a first! calm down dude.

I Dance With Will

Quote Originally Posted by drop View Post
    well, that's obviously up to you if you want to play that game. here's the legal backing for what the cops can do in exchange for your lack of honesty. i'm not sure being potentially arrested is worth the trouble, but to each their own i suppose.

that's heavy.

"fuckit!"

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    : I have offended a lot of people for a lot of things
    That should tell you something

I'm sorry, we obviously have not met.

It's an opinion. I do not understand the draw of bicycling. That was my comment. Then you get all bent out of shape over my opinion while in the same breath writing multiple paragraphs about yours, expecting it to be respected! you have valid points, i will give you that, but you are to quick to get sore.

It tells him he's doing somethign right.

Zip Tie Alley #505

It tells him he's doing somethign right.
    1st amendment FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    1st amendment FTW!

Zip Tie Alley #505

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast