Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

One-piece touring suit nirvana?

truncated phrase here trider143's Avatar

One-piece touring suit nirvana?

I am starting to look into one-piece touring suits to meet a couple of needs.

1. Easy on, easy off daily work commuting suit.
    2. 3-season touring suit for multi-day trips (touring, primarily on road, minimal hard pack off-road.)

Currently, I have a mish-mash of 2 piece components and match them based upon weather forecast, and sometimes I guess wrong

Is there a ideal one-piece alternative, for commuting and touring and dealing with 3-season NE area weather without adding significant cargo bulk? (I don't mind a small stuff sack addition.)

In particular, I am interested in first-hand experience with Aerostich 1-piece suits.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: One-piece touring suit nirvana?

The Aerostich suits have excellent materials and better stitching and armor.

I have an Olympia Phantom suit because I wanted something off-the-rack I could try on. It's available in hi-viz and gray. I replaced the knee armor with some aerostich knee pads, but the shoulder and elbow armor are pretty good and the back protector is substantial, if less robust than a racing suit.

I've owned mine for three seasons. It comes with a removable insulation line but I usually wear a Gerbing heated jacket when it's cold. Rode to the Yankee Beemers breakfast in February in temps 22-32, no problemo. Also rode to Bucksport, Maine once for five hours in the rain without leaking.

Last edited by Garandman; 03-09-12 at 09:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    I have an Olympia Phantom suit because I wanted something off-the-rack I could try on. It's available in hi-viz and gray. I replaced the knee armor with some aerostich knee pads, but the shoulder and elbow armor are pretty good and the back protector is substantial, if less robust than a racing suit.

I've owned mine for three seasons. It comes with a removable insulation line but I usually wear a Gerbing heated jacket when it's cold. Rode to the Yankee Beemers breakfast in February in temps 22-32, no problemo. Also rode to Bucksport, Maine once for five hours in the rain without leaking.
    How is the Phantom in the dog days of summer?

I am thinking my two biggest concerns are water-resistance of the outer layer and venting for warmer temps. I don't mind adding underlayers or Gerbing layers in colder temps. Hell, I was wearing shorts to work today, so venting/water resistances is more important to me than warmth.

BTW I asked Paul at Moto Market why he didn't sell Olympia and he said it was "Too BMW'ish."

Above 80 degrees it's warm despite excellent venting. It's a solid fabric suit - that's how you get waterproofness. There are zippers that go all the way up each side of the legs that make it quick and easy to get on and off.

I wear two-piece Olympia AirGlide gear in late Spring - early Fall which is mostly mesh. Olympia also makes a mesh one piece suit called the Stealth . the problen withmesh suits is when it rains the waterproof layer is underneath, so they get soaked.

Last edited by Garandman; 03-10-12 at 03:01 PM.

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

I have been wearing a one-piece Roadcrafter for the last 12+ seasons. It's been through two low-sides and 130,000+ miles of riding in all 4 seasons. A couple of years ago, I sent it back to the factory to bring it back up to new functionality (zippers and velcro were really worn out) and to repair crash damage. After they inspected it, they spent a good hour on the phone with me discussing all the problems and offered me multiple options and costs for each repair. They fixed everything for about 300 bucks (including new knee, shoulder and elbow pads/armor), if memory serves. If I can figure out how to wear this one out beyond repair, I'd buy another in a heartbeat. It's easily the best investment I ever made in motorcyling.

The downsides: it is hot on 90 F+ degree days and not warm enough by itself below 60 F; and it is not waterproof (close though). You must wear extra insulation in cold weather, I wear my Gerbings jacket over my street clothes and a fleece between the Gerbings and the 'stich when it gets cold. When it gets below 40, I also add insulation to my legs. When it is hot out, I soak a cotton t-shirt in water, put it on, and ride with vents open on the suit. The evaporative cooling keeps me very comfortable for over an hour that way. The crotch will leak in steady rain and I have yet to find a way to stop it. If you are going to ride in steady rain, put rain gear over it or put a plastic bag over your crotch under the suit to avoid looking like you pissed yourself.

Have to say these suits are handy. The Olympia zips up the side of the legs so it's quick to put on. Rode to work Tuesday AM in 50 degree rain, then rode home with the vents open in sunny 70. Then Weds it was 53 in the AM, raining and 39 on the way home. Close a few vents, put on the insulating jacket and off we go.

Thanks for the feedback all.

I have to say the confirmation of the Roadcrafter leaking at the groin area is very disappointing for an $$$ suit.

I will have to look into the Olympia further.

Given the comments, I have to say I am appreciating my current 2-piece BMW touring set-up more and more, except it is not great for commuting. I have worn my BMW 2pc in a Hurricane / Tropical Storm (no I am not kidding -- I rode from Roanoke to Central MA in 1-day while a Hurricane and TS roared up the eastern seaboard.) and had no discernible leakage after hours of riding. (My interest in upgrading was driven by an interest to optimize for the commuting situation.)

The Roadcrafter armor is better: I bought the kneepads for the Olympia suit.

This just in: Aerostich, probably the inventors of hi-viz textile riding gear, have now introduced a black on black on black Roadcrafter.

My experience with the Olympia is that its a great suit for the money. I wear it all year and the venting is bearable in warm temps when you are moving. In traffic with the sun beating down it can get warm. In rain I have gotten wet through when I am not wearing the inner liner but in colder temps with the liner the waterproofing is much better. I have put rain gear over it as well which works to keep water out too.

Bruce
    2007 VFR800 25th Anniversary
    2003 Honda RC51

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Sweet! Something to go with my loud pipes.