Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post your Trailer Setup.

Post your Trailer Setup.

Got a new trailer for motorbike hauling and I'm trying to figure out the best way to set it up. It's a 6 x 12 V-nose aluminum enclosed trailer. I want to set it up for (hopefully) 3 bikes. 1 bike will be constant (my 929), but I sell and show bikes so I will be carrying other bikes on a regular basis as well.

Is it feasible to carry three bikes in a 6x12? It seems like they would fit, but I'm unsure.

Floor needs a treatment, so it isnt raw wood. Thinking of rhino lining it. My friend said to diamond plate it. Also considered painting it.

After that I'm need to setup the tie down setup and wheel chocks.

For tie-down mounts, they have standard d-rings that you just drill in the floor. They have big ass D-rings with drop bottoms, where you have to cut a hole in the floor then screw it in. They have tracking that runs the length of the trailer so you can put the rings wherever you want for the length of it.

And chocks, I've seen freestanding chocks, chocks that are drilled into the flooring, chocks that work with the tracking, bike specific chocks, chocks that hold the bike from the rear axle so as to not compress the suspension etc.

What are your likes and dislikes with what you've used for your tie-down mounts and your wheel chocks? What do you think is best for a flooring? Anything else a noob like me might not know about trailering?

Thanks. . . Oh and please post pics of your setups!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I ride a custom fighter!

Re: Post your Trailer Setup.

Those pitbull restraints RULE. if you expect to use the trailer enough they're a worth-while investment...
    Linky

my problem with the pitbull restraints is that I'll be carrying different bikes, and they are bike specific so I'll have to buy and keep a bunch of different pins for them. Also do they work with SSA's as alot of bikes I deal with seem to have those.

I ride a custom fighter!

You can fit three. You might need to take some time and dial in the setup exactly as you need it. I've also put in smaller bikes sideways. Not sure you can do that in a 6' wide box.

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

Aluminum diamond plate on the floor would look way cool but I bet it'd be slippery as all hell if something spilled. I'd paint it or go with vinyl tile.

The 8x12 I use was specifically set up for 2 bikes by the previous owner. Two removable inexpensive wheel chocks and d rings in the floor and wall provide tie downs. The dark vinyl floor cleans easily, looks trick, and isn't too slippery when wet. Three bikes fit easily, even with a lot of gear, a roll off tool box and an air compressor. I like the setup but an 8' wide trailer that's only 12' long is challenging to back up and it's like pulling a parachute.

I bet a 6x12 is going to be very snug with three bikes.

LRRS EX #7
    Low Down Racing
    - Woodcraft - Armour Bodies - Computrack Boston - Lifeproof -

I have a rubber floor in my 6x12. Many improvements too. I carry a MXer and a Roadracer. Also a rollaway toolbox. I have about 15 D rings so I can move the bikes around as needed. I also have cabinets and a stainless countertop which take away floor space. 110 volts with plugs on inside/outside too. Formica walls with insulation. I made a towel holder, a aerosol can holder, fire extinquisher holder, tire rack for the rains, a holder for the rubberglove box, a helmet holder, folding chairs holder, and a heavy duty leather suit hanger. I bought 3 duct tape holders, a tiedown strap holder, and a tire gauge holder from pit posse. I use a baby moniter as a alarm system. I got a strapless pitbull coming from Street and Competition. I will try to post a couple of pics tomorrow.

Last edited by Rambunctous; 07-01-10 at 05:16 PM.

PICS PICS PICS?

I ride a custom fighter!

If you paint make sure to use something that can be used with hot tires (garage floor paint, something like that). I have a 6x12 v nose and always had 2 bikes easy, 3 bikes was tough with my set up, but Im sure theres a way to get it done, maybe 1 in the V and 2 staggered behind it.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Pitt, thats what i was thinking for the 3 bike setup. 1 in the V and the other two behind it.

would i have to worry about weight distribution this way? would that be too much in the back?

I ride a custom fighter!

Probably depends on where your wheels are, mine are so far back I think the 2 in the back would be right over the wheel.
    Also be aware how much room you need for tie downs and such. Im not even sure 2 side by side would work well with tiedown spacing.

Zip Tie Alley #505

You can fit three bikes in a 6x12. I did it often in my 6x12 flat/square nose. As for tie-down mounts, consider putting in e-track. To me, e-track offers a greater versatility in placement of the bikes and equipment in the trailer than D-rings. I never got around to installing it into mine before I sold it, but it was on the list of “to do” things. For the one bike that stayed constant, I used (and will use in my current trailer) the STS restraint. I chose this over the Pitbull because, well, I picked it up used for dirt cheap. As for the floor, I'd paint it with a non-skid paint (e.g. with a little sand in it), which is what is in my current trailer.

John
    CCS/LRRS Expert #69
    LRRS Rookie of the Year 2004
    "Speed has a kind of affinity for me, it's the time God and I have our little talks."

Quote Originally Posted by Gecko View Post
    You can fit three bikes in a 6x12.
    Be warned about this picture though, I couldnt fit 2 bikes front to back in my trailer. The size of the bikes will make the difference. It was an EX500 and a SV and they wouldnt fit.

Zip Tie Alley #505

I have a 7x12 and routinely carry 3 bikes. But that extra foot of width goes a long long way.

Here is my setup....
    http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...sexy-pics.html

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

I'll post pics when i get some....but i fit 4 in my 6x14 just gotta offset the rear wheels a bit from each other. I put two facing forward in the front two facing rearward in the rear plus race gear. There is also a foot deep workbench in there ...so it can be done.

Last edited by competitionplus; 07-02-10 at 01:52 PM.

Sorry I missed the v part... one in the front and two in the back at best probably if it 12 less the v. If the v starts at the 12 foot mark no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    If you paint make sure to use something that can be used with hot tires (garage floor paint, something like that). I have a 6x12 v nose and always had 2 bikes easy, 3 bikes was tough with my set up, but Im sure theres a way to get it done, maybe 1 in the V and 2 staggered behind it.

I like the "border".

Silver Bullet Commuter fjrrider RI's Avatar

If you are going to keep changing bikes you need the adjustable floor rail system. I have seen it used sucessfully to to squeeze in bikes. Get the extra heavy rachet sets (look like a seat belt) and you only need one per side the tie into the floor rail, when combined with a front wheel tender.

Yamaha lover

Quote Originally Posted by competitionplus View Post
    I like the "border".
    Yah, can you believe they were gonna throw that away at work? Shit even glows in the dark!

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    Shit even glows in the dark!
    So does your hair Richie

Just Registered

Baxley chocks FTW…I've seen the condors drop a bike when they flex.

My 2 vices, not necessarily in order:
    www.gpsdiscussion.com
    motorcycleaddicts.org

Thanks for the info everyone. please keep it coming if you know of anything else that wasn't mentioned.

saw some good info in manny's thread about dif ways to practice driving with a trailer. Think I'm gonna hit the parking lots late night this week.

I ride a custom fighter!

6x10 enclosed single axle over here.

For backing up with a short trailer, I try not to put the trailer beyond 45* or my truck won't be able to catch up to it with regards to the turning radius department. You'll find longer trailers are much easier to manage in this respect but I suggest picking up a few safety cones so you can lay out a target parking space. Start off by giving yourself 6"-8" on each side and go from there. There are many drills you can do in order to challenge yourself....might even find something online.

Zip Tie Alley #505

thanks for that link pitt.

I ride a custom fighter!

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky Mike View Post
    Those pitbull restraints RULE. if you expect to use the trailer enough they're a worth-while investment...
    Linky
    +1 to the pit bulls, 100x easier to use and they also don't put stress on your suspension and fork seals by clamping all your shit down.

I have a 7x14 v-nose and have it set up for 4 bikes, 2 regular chocks in the front and 2 pit bull chocks in the back. I've had 4 bikes plus tons of gear, a big toolbox, and a huge ass generator in there without any trouble. I've Attached some older photos so you can see the pitbull chocks

The next big thing for me is installing a tire rack on the wall that I got from Doc and building a small bench with a space underneath for a fridge up in the v-part.

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103
    PPS | Dunlop | Boston Moto | Woodcraft & Armour Bodies | 35 Motorsports | Pit Bull | K&N

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast