Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Results 1 to 16 of 16

Proper foot/leg position

  1. #1
    Super Adventurer SRTie4k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dublin, NH
    Age
    38
    Posts
    5,398

    Proper foot/leg position

    So I've had my TCX S-Sportour boots for a month or so now. I ride mainly with the front of the arch of my feet on the pegs, toes angled towards the ground. Sometimes when I go through a corner, the toebox on my boots touch down. It's started to wear away part of the rubber tread on the front left corner of the toebox, as well as the bottom most portion of the toe slider. It seems to me like wearing out the tread is not good, and I need to either swing my leg outwards in a corner so only the toe slider touches down, or pick my feet up so that only my toes are on the pegs and I don't touch the boot down at all.

    First, is there any proper way to position one's foot/leg in a corner, and if there is, what is it? I don't want to wear a hole through the front left side of the boot before the year is up.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    2017 Honda CRF250L Rally

  2. #2
    Posting Freak timmyho414's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    NH
    Age
    42
    Posts
    978

    Re: Proper foot/leg position

    ride with the balls of your feet on your pegs. I'm like this 95% of the time. Maybe if I'm on the highway for hours I'll move around a bit.

    Also, if your pegs are getting that close to the ground you may want to look at your body position. Having never seen you ride, if you stay on your set you will use more lean angle putting hard things closer to the ground then if you learn off a bit, not racer style but just slide over on your set and you will keep things from touching the ground.

    Have you done any track days?

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Tim
    LRRS #44
    Superbike Services 44

  3. #3
    Super Adventurer SRTie4k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dublin, NH
    Age
    38
    Posts
    5,398

    Re: Proper foot/leg position

    Quote Originally Posted by timmyho414 View Post
    ride with the balls of your feet on your pegs. I'm like this 95% of the time. Maybe if I'm on the highway for hours I'll move around a bit.

    Also, if your pegs are getting that close to the ground you may want to look at your body position. Having never seen you ride, if you stay on your set you will use more lean angle putting hard things closer to the ground then if you learn off a bit, not racer style but just slide over on your set and you will keep things from touching the ground.

    Have you done any track days?
    So move my foot higher up on the peg. I do that on occasion, but I was never sure if that was proper since its a tad more difficult to shift mid-corner...but maybe I shouldn't be shifting in a corner anyways?

    Also I used to hang off the seat slightly on my Z1000, but my TL1000S feels a bit more wobbly in the corner so I never really tried it on this bike. I'll have to give it a go.

    And no, I've never done a track day.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    2017 Honda CRF250L Rally

  4. #4
    TRACK RAT!!!!! Pigman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Pembroke NH
    Posts
    6,994

    Re: Proper foot/leg position

    I had a similar issue from riding on the street and being lazy.....just adjust and get on the balls of your feet it will feel normal after a while. Also there is a thread on here from me asking the same thing.....

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  5. #5
    Posting Freak timmyho414's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    NH
    Age
    42
    Posts
    978

    Re: Proper foot/leg position

    Quote Originally Posted by Pigman View Post
    I had a similar issue from riding on the street and being lazy.....just adjust and get on the balls of your feet it will feel normal after a while. Also there is a thread on here from me asking the same thing.....
    have you figure it out yet?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Tim
    LRRS #44
    Superbike Services 44

  6. #6
    TRACK RAT!!!!! Pigman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Pembroke NH
    Posts
    6,994

    Re: Proper foot/leg position

    Nope.........LOLOLZ

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  7. #7
    Posting Freak timmyho414's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    NH
    Age
    42
    Posts
    978

    Re: Proper foot/leg position

    Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    So move my foot higher up on the peg. I do that on occasion, but I was never sure if that was proper since its a tad more difficult to shift mid-corner...but maybe I shouldn't be shifting in a corner anyways?

    Also I used to hang off the seat slightly on my Z1000, but my TL1000S feels a bit more wobbly in the corner so I never really tried it on this bike. I'll have to give it a go.

    And no, I've never done a track day.
    Like Pigman said, you will get use to it. If I need to up-shift in a corner I just slide my foot up hit the shifter and put it back.

    You don't need to hang off, just move over a bit and stay light on the bars. If your putting pressure on the bars it may cause that wobble. My monster will get wobbly if I get lazy.

    If you can you should look into trackdays. There are a lot of schools, I have been some, which are good and others I haven't but hear are good. I know there are a lot of guys on this board that instruct at a few. I you be the best motorcycle money you could spend. Hell it could be the best money period. You WILL be a safer rider after, and have more fun too!

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by timmyho414; 07-03-12 at 09:36 PM. Reason: to to too
    Tim
    LRRS #44
    Superbike Services 44

  8. #8
    Just Registered Doc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Jericho, VT
    Posts
    19,396

    Re: Proper foot/leg position

    I wouldn't be shifting mid corner... and like these guys said, ride on the balls of your feet unless you are pretty much straight up and down.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

  9. #9
    Equal opportnity offender Lxpony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Worcester
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,492

    Re: Proper foot/leg position

    You should never shift gears mid-corner...set you speed and gear approaching the corner.

    I move my feet around a lot on the pegs to keep them from fatiguing but in any sort of corner I ride with the pegs on the ball of my feet (the part by your toes).


    Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    So move my foot higher up on the peg. I do that on occasion, but I was never sure if that was proper since its a tad more difficult to shift mid-corner...but maybe I shouldn't be shifting in a corner anyways?

    Also I used to hang off the seat slightly on my Z1000, but my TL1000S feels a bit more wobbly in the corner so I never really tried it on this bike. I'll have to give it a go.

    And no, I've never done a track day.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  10. #10
    Equal opportnity offender Lxpony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Worcester
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,492

    Re: Proper foot/leg position

    Look at my signature photo to see correct foot position.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  11. #11
    #331 CBR929RE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Bridgewater, MA
    Age
    41
    Posts
    5,623

    Re: Proper foot/leg position

    I shift in T5, should I not be doing that?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  12. #12
    Hawk Is Respectable Now WordTooYoMamma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Waltham
    Age
    33
    Posts
    2,376
    Wirelessly posted (Infuse)

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc
    I wouldn't be shifting mid corner... and like these guys said, ride on the balls of your feet unless you are pretty much straight up and down.
    Shifting mid corner on the street happens a lot with my twin. At a stop light having to take a wide left? Yep going from first to second possibly third. On storrow drive behind some yuppie who is pushing me out of my powerband? Down a gear she goes.

    Just be smooth and match your revs if you are going down especially...

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  13. #13
    Just Registered Cheese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Hollis, NH
    Posts
    3,018

    Re: Proper foot/leg position

    Quote Originally Posted by WordTooYoMamma View Post
    Wirelessly posted (Infuse)



    Shifting mid corner on the street happens a lot with my twin. At a stop light having to take a wide left? Yep going from first to second possibly third. On storrow drive behind some yuppie who is pushing me out of my powerband? Down a gear she goes.

    Just be smooth and match your revs if you are going down especially...
    They don't call them accidents because we do them on purpose. By accident, I mean sooner or later you could miss a shift and when that happens, you'd rather it not be in a turn with your toe slider dragging. As others have said, decelerate before the turn (less throttle, engine braking and front brake) but also prepare to roll on the throttle in the turn. This means selecting a gear ahead of time that is tall enough to allow you roll on smoothly through the turn.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  14. #14
    Super Adventurer SRTie4k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dublin, NH
    Age
    38
    Posts
    5,398

    Re: Proper foot/leg position

    I typically do downshift into a corner, to keep my RPMs around 5-6k. But on occasion, especially when the corner is a decreasing radius bend, I find myself having to trail brake and shift down. Very infrequently, however.

    I rode all day today with the ball of my foot instead of my arch. I'm sure my boots are thanking me, because I didn't touch any tread down today.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    2017 Honda CRF250L Rally

  15. #15
    Posting Freak timmyho414's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    NH
    Age
    42
    Posts
    978

    Re: Proper foot/leg position

    Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    I typically do downshift into a corner, to keep my RPMs around 5-6k. But on occasion, especially when the corner is a decreasing radius bend, I find myself having to trail brake and shift down. Very infrequently, however.

    I rode all day today with the ball of my foot instead of my arch. I'm sure my boots are thanking me, because I didn't touch any tread down today.
    Sounds like you're okay with what you are doing shift wise. Up or down shifting while cruising around should not be a big deal. I just would not downshift while the bike is leaned over, you may unsettle the bike.

    Glad the boots are doing better.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Tim
    LRRS #44
    Superbike Services 44

  16. #16
    Resident Turkey Tricky Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    The burbs... where dreams go to die
    Posts
    6,070

    Re: Proper foot/leg position

    Quote Originally Posted by Lxpony View Post
    Look at my signature photo to see correct foot position.
    sorry, can't see it. could you please make it even bigger?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Similar Threads

  1. Proper fuel pressure?
    By Garrett in forum General Bike Related
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-07-14, 07:40 AM
  2. 6-7 foot by 10-12 foot enclosed trailer
    By OreoGaborio in forum Wanted
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-31-12, 07:35 AM
  3. Foot position when riding dirty.
    By maxim_X in forum Dirty Bastards
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 08-27-12, 05:41 PM
  4. Proper Foot Protection
    By Billy in forum General Bike Related
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 07-27-06, 07:29 AM
  5. Proper dismounts Video
    By Half Squid in forum General Bike Related
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-04-04, 10:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •