Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Speed Triple, Hypermotard, Tuono

Speed Triple, Hypermotard, Tuono

Trying to rate three different bikes on my radar. I just can't put the miles on my RC51 like I used to, so looking for something that's more comfortable but still has high fun factor and trackday capable.

07 Speed Triple, it's near me, bunch of nice aftermarket parts, upgraded forks, right in my budget, BUT some cosmetic issues.

08 Hypermotard, 4 hours away, bunch of nice aftermarket parts, upgraded forks, the upper limit of my budget, NEEDS quite a bit of standard service (valves, belts, maybe some other things) which I plan to do myself.

07 Tuono R, located in Colorado, mint condition, some nice aftermarket parts but stock suspension, right in my budget, BUT I can't actually put my eyes on it...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Hyper

Banned

Re: Speed Triple, Hypermotard, Tuono

Ill help and/or lend special tools and swap shims if you end up with the duc.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW dont discount a street triple. Amazing bike and in my mind a better trackday bike than any of those.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I owned a 11' speed triple for a summer, really fun bike, going to check out that 07 Saturday.

Edit: just realized you said STREET triple. I'm genuinely embarrassed that I have almost zero interest in any engine displacement under 1000cc' s...

How's your RC51 build going Derrick?

Last edited by jeantarrou; 01-29-14 at 11:48 PM.
    Hyper

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jeantarrou View Post
    I owned a 11' speed triple for a summer, really fun bike, going to check out that 07 Saturday.

Edit: just realized you said STREET triple. I'm genuinely embarrassed that I have almost zero interest in any engine displacement under 1000cc' s...

How's your RC51 build going Derrick?
    It turned into a ducati 900ss :-)

I'm biased but the tuono is a damn good bike with a rock solid motor. There are some known common issues with it that are all easily fixed (how to's and such are on the apriliaforum) but otherwise it's an awesome bike. Tuning and velocity stacks will give you the same power delivery as the Mille if that's what you want but aprilia is actually pretty legit in re-tuning for torque vs. de-tuning "for the street" like other brands seem to like to do. The vast majority of parts other than cosmetic stuff is directly swappable with 2nd gen mille's as well so finding used parts when needed is pretty easy.

Speed triple with a 1050 I've only ridden once back in '08. LOVED the motor even though it was just a demo ride and I didn't get to play with it too much.

Hypermotard I've never even sat on.

I'm pretty biased toward Aprilias. The v-twin motors are strong, fun, and predictable. The Tuono is a pretty comfy bike as well, there was one on CL not long ago for a good price. Keep watching it might come back up if the guy didn't sell in the fall.

From what I'm seeing the Factory model Tuono is a bit out of my price range which is disappointing, it'd be nice to have the suspension/braking/wheel upgrades compared to the R...

Hyper

Yep, the Ohlins bling is nice. Watch the classifieds on Apriliaforum and suspension components come up a bit. I'm not a fan of the rear Sachs shock but the forks I believe or Marzocchi and not bad. I'd say the R suspension is in line with most other bikes out there, the Factory well exceeds.

Motard... But I'm biased and haven't ridden the other two.

Quote Originally Posted by jcbell1007 View Post
    Motard... But I'm biased and haven't ridden the other two.
    I get the feeling I won't really be disappointed with any of these, all of their owners seem to LOVE their bikes.

And JCbell, could you speak to the Hyper's forks. I read conflicting reports online (shocking!) that they do the job just fine and I've read that a respring is the minimum requirement and a new cartridge kit is recommended. I've been lucky enough to own some really sweet suspension bits on my RC51, Traxxion's AK-Gas forks most recently, so I wonder if the OEM stuff will feel especially like poo to me?

Hyper

I owned both a speed 3 and a tuono -- by far enjoyed the Tuono more. A little bit less aggressive riding position with the tuono and more leg room, which I enjoyed as I'm on the taller side (just over 6'2). Also, the Tuono is just a rock solid motor that needs very little maintenance and will go forever. Put a pipe on the Tuono and it sounds just as good as the S3.
    One thing to keep in mind about an 07 Tuono - try to find out if it is an 07 or if it is an 07.5 as the 07.5 had a few more HP and some other changes. Best to search apriliaforum for those details! In my opinion, you could take the standard suspension of the R and get it resprung and valved and it will be just as good as the Ohlins that came stock on the Factory.

Tuono....all day long. Not even a hesitation for me.

By the way, I owned an RC51 for over 6 years....do yourself a favor, get the Tuono and be happy.

Last edited by jwm2k3; 01-30-14 at 06:04 PM.

Check out a Streetfighter 1098 for another option. It's basically a naked 1098 with handlebars and it seems over looked often.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Definitely go '08 or newer. Frequently reported issues with the stator suffering *catastrophic* failure which will have you splitting the case to fix on the '06 and '07's. That said, I have '13 S3R and it's a hell of a lot of fun to ride. If you like the bike keep looking around there's generally a lot available out there.

http://www.thespeedtriple.com

Classifieds there usually have a number of bikes available across the country...just don't mind the locals.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

I get the feeling I won't really be disappointed with any of these, all of their owners seem to LOVE their bikes.

And JCbell, could you speak to the Hyper's forks. I read conflicting reports online (shocking!) that they do the job just fine and I've read that a respring is the minimum requirement and a new cartridge kit is recommended. I've been lucky enough to own some really sweet suspension bits on my RC51, Traxxion's AK-Gas forks most recently, so I wonder if the OEM stuff will feel especially like poo to me?
    I just bought mine last year, an 08 1100s so the forks and shock are upgraded. I will say it is the most comfortable yet most fun bike I have ridden. For me, I'm 5'6" and about 190#'s, the suspension works great. I haven't pushed super hard on the street with it and it is very predictable. I've actually done quite a bit of 2-up riding with my fiancé and I can't complain at all about the suspension.

I think you can't go wrong with any of them also, but I will say I just bought an '11 Hyper evo and this is now going to be the longest winter in memory. I can't get the sound of that twin out of my head!

Is it spring yet?

Funky, we're you ever able to track the S3 or Tuono? And thanks for the heads up about the 07/07.5 differences, I'd seen some Tuono' s listed as 07.5's and was wondering why. For a while I hadn't even considered the Tuono either, mostly because of that damn headlight/front fairing, it sure seems like it's a do it all bike though...

And I wish the Streetfighter was in the running, but everything I've seen is a bit out if my price range...

Also, I had previously owned a really sweet S3 http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...peed-Triple-SE so I'm familiar with what the Triumph is all about, not sure if that's leaning me towards or away from another though?

I love all the opinions, many thanks, if I had to choose right now I'd probably go Hyper, but who knows, its a fun problem to have!

Last edited by jeantarrou; 01-30-14 at 11:07 PM.
    Hyper

If you were on the 2011, you wont want the the 07... but I guess if the price is right... Try it and see how the 07 is.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenn157 View Post
    If you were on the 2011, you wont want the the 07... but I guess if the price is right... Try it and see how the 07 is.
    How come?

And I just went through my back issues of Motorcycle Consumer News and the September 09 issue had a Superduke/Streetfighter S/Speed Triple/Tuono Factory showdown. They LOVED the KTM... But man the styling is tough for me...

Hyper

How come?

And I just went through my back issues of Motorcycle Consumer News and the September 09 issue had a Superduke/Streetfighter S/Speed Triple/Tuono Factory showdown. They LOVED the KTM... But man the styling is tough for me...
    the 2011+ completely different frame geometry, handling.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenn157 View Post
    the 2011+ completely different frame geometry, handling.
    Gotcha, good to know. Saturday is supposed to be on the warm side, maybe I'll be able to take if for a quick spin...

Hyper

i went from a 1k twin to a 1k trip and i havent looked back. although i still love twins. you need to ride them and see what you like. currently id think of the new tuono cause holy power.

-Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

obsolete has a beautiful 2011 "yang"!!!

and I have a hot ying!

See below. ha!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast