Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 49

Superbike for the Street?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Crconnor18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Woburn MA
    Age
    30
    Posts
    363

    Superbike for the Street?

    Well it looks like I should just shred my license now. After owning nearly 25 bikes and covering 1000ís of miles around the country on two wheels I finally committed to my first superbike purchase. Outside of my FJ I have never owned or even ridden a ďbigĒ bike so this will be fun.

    Iíll be grabbing a very very well sorted 2nd Gen Tuono v2 next week and curious how many fellas actually ride monsters like these on the road. There is something about an upright big bore twin with no electronics that just does something for me.

    3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  2. #2
    Don't bother me! R7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Yamaha Blvd
    Age
    49
    Posts
    14,287

    Re: Superbike for the Street?

    I have 2016 Tuono V4 factory 1100, I feel given the opportunity I could do a 500 mile day on this thing without issue. I love the fact it shares the same electronics and performance of the RSV4, with an upright riding position that doesn’t destroy the back a shoulders after a 2 hour ride

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yamaha

    A Big Powerful Sportbike

  3. #3
    Your Father csmutty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Pomfret Center, CT
    Age
    31
    Posts
    11,602

    Re: Superbike for the Street?

    Good luck. You're a better man than I.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

  4. #4
    Lifer golden chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Attleboro, MA
    Posts
    1,735

    Re: Superbike for the Street?

    Just looking at specs, 139 hp, 79 ft-lbs, seems like a fast street bike that isn't so racy that you could comfortably putter around in traffic if you had to. And whoolies.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

  5. #5
    rides bikes
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,111

    Re: Superbike for the Street?

    I wouldn't have a single hesitation commuting on that daily. The bikes with crazy torque get annoying to ride in traffic, but those are pretty rideable bikes.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  6. #6
    Senior Member marshdrummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southington, CT
    Age
    49
    Posts
    415

    Re: Superbike for the Street?

    I've been riding an R1 on the street for the last 11 years (holy sh*t, can't believe my bike is that old). Love it. It definitely can get you in a ton of trouble, but having the power and torque to help avoid all the a$$ clowns on the road is priceless.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  7. #7
    Awesomeness, Inc. MattR302's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Haven-ish, CT
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,427

    Re: Superbike for the Street?

    Quote Originally Posted by marshdrummer View Post
    I've been riding an R1 on the street for the last 11 years (holy sh*t, can't believe my bike is that old).
    Holy sh*t, can’t believe you’re still riding (and lurking on here lol)
    Hiya bud

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  8. #8
    Senior Member marshdrummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southington, CT
    Age
    49
    Posts
    415

    Re: Superbike for the Street?

    Quote Originally Posted by MattR302 View Post
    Holy sh*t, can’t believe you’re still riding (and lurking on here lol)
    Hiya bud
    LOL...Yea....can never give up riding! and yes, old habits die hard. I still enjoy the winter shenanigans and 'conversating' with everyone. AND.....HI!!!!

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  9. #9
    TWINS! xrocket21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Central Maine
    Age
    41
    Posts
    6,555

    Re: Superbike for the Street?

    Quote Originally Posted by marshdrummer View Post
    I've been riding an R1 on the street for the last 11 years (holy sh*t, can't believe my bike is that old). Love it. It definitely can get you in a ton of trouble, but having the power and torque to help avoid all the a$$ clowns on the road is priceless.
    I bought my RC51 for my 1 hour commute down Route 9 to Worcester back in 2008, still have it 14 years later!!!!!

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  10. #10

    Re: Superbike for the Street?

    Owned a 03 RSVR awesome ride, the one bike of all of them I would want back. It was too racy riding position for me after a while.
    The higher bar setup will make for a great street ride. good luck.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  11. #11
    Your Father csmutty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Pomfret Center, CT
    Age
    31
    Posts
    11,602

    Re: Superbike for the Street?

    Had a TL1k back in the day. Ripped wheelies on command but the shock was a disaster.

    I love me a twin.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

  12. #12
    TWINS! xrocket21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Central Maine
    Age
    41
    Posts
    6,555

    Re: Superbike for the Street?

    Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Had a TL1k back in the day. Ripped wheelies on command but the shock was a disaster.

    I love me a twin.
    its not a shock, it's a rotary damper!!!!

    My user text is an homage to my love of twins!

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  13. #13
    Senior Member Crconnor18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Woburn MA
    Age
    30
    Posts
    363

    Re: Superbike for the Street?

    Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Everyone loves a twin. It’s like an SV but better in every way. Especially w/ the nitron shock and K-tech forks already installed.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  14. #14
    Awesomeness, Inc. MattR302's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Haven-ish, CT
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,427

    Re: Superbike for the Street?

    So last I remember, you were looking to swap the FJ9 for an adventurey bike like a KTM 890…

    Is this Tuono going to be getting knobbies??!

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  15. #15
    Jamnuts jhawley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southern CT
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,180

    Re: Superbike for the Street?

    Quote Originally Posted by Crconnor18 View Post
    Everyone loves a twin. Itís like an SV but better in every way. Especially w/ the nitron shock and K-tech forks already installed.
    Hey i loved my SV1000.

    I also miss the absurd power that the vfr1200 had.

    Since my house is selling i have a itch to get another big bore bike to hold on to, but with the toddler around, i go back and forth.

    Buch of my friends have atvs, so that could be an option.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by jhawley; 12-20-22 at 10:13 AM.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Crconnor18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Woburn MA
    Age
    30
    Posts
    363

    Re: Superbike for the Street?

    The Tuono will be the “late to work” bike.

    The FJ is still up for trade towards any KTM twin adventure bike. Also packaging Bubba’s WR into that package if someone is interested.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  17. #17
    rides bikes
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,111

    Re: Superbike for the Street?

    I will say that if you've got a heavy traffic commute, you might want to lighten up the clutch pull or possibly play with sprocket sizes to tame it down. My SV1000 was pretty miserable on Storrow/Soldiers Field and that thing didn't make much power (sorry to whoever just said they loved theirs), but the gearing/torque/heavy clutch made it a chore. My RC8r, which makes stupid power, was arguably easier to ride in traffic because of the gearing and lighter clutch pull.

    2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  18. #18
    Jamnuts jhawley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southern CT
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,180

    Re: Superbike for the Street?

    I remember it being a bit stiff but it wasn't miserable, (but i was also a lot younger and dumber), to commute from middletown, ct to manchester ct, it was about 55 miles round trip.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  19. #19
    rides bikes
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,111

    Re: Superbike for the Street?

    Quote Originally Posted by jhawley View Post
    I remember it being a bit stiff but it wasn't miserable, (but i was also a lot younger and dumber), to commute from middletown, ct to manchester ct, it was about 55 miles round trip.
    For sure. I'm sure there's plenty of variation bike-to-bike anyway.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  20. #20
    TWINS! xrocket21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Central Maine
    Age
    41
    Posts
    6,555

    Re: Superbike for the Street?

    Quote Originally Posted by nick5446 View Post
    I will say that if you've got a heavy traffic commute, you might want to lighten up the clutch pull or possibly play with sprocket sizes to tame it down. My SV1000 was pretty miserable on Storrow/Soldiers Field and that thing didn't make much power (sorry to whoever just said they loved theirs), but the gearing/torque/heavy clutch made it a chore. My RC8r, which makes stupid power, was arguably easier to ride in traffic because of the gearing and lighter clutch pull.
    You have an RC8R?!?! Oh man I want one of those so bad. How is it?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  21. #21
    rides bikes
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,111

    Re: Superbike for the Street?

    Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    You have an RC8R?!?! Oh man I want one of those so bad. How is it?
    Probably best described as "wildly inappropriate for most situations". I sold it after getting chased by a helicopter. It was kind of amazing because it had all of the power and chassis of a modern euro superbike, but absolutely none of the tech assist, so you are totally on your own when it comes to controlling it. If you get the chance to ride or own one, I would take it! I feel like they can be had for like $7k

    5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  22. #22
    Your Father csmutty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Pomfret Center, CT
    Age
    31
    Posts
    11,602

    Re: Superbike for the Street?

    Quote Originally Posted by jhawley View Post
    Hey i loved my SV1000.

    I also miss the absurd power that the vfr1200 had.

    Since my house is selling i have a itch to get another big bore bike to hold on to, but with the toddler around, i go back and forth.

    Buch of my friends have atvs, so that could be an option.
    1. That sv got stolen right?
    2. That viffer was absurd
    3. Don't make me dig up pics of you riding dirty

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

  23. #23
    Jamnuts jhawley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southern CT
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,180

    Re: Superbike for the Street?

    and you nailed it.
    lol.

    everyone that rode that 1200F got off of it like what planet fucking is this thing from.

    wasn't that photo from your zrx at the ice cream place on route 66 out past portland..? (what an awesome bike) something about was so cool and old shool at the same time.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  24. #24
    TWINS! xrocket21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Central Maine
    Age
    41
    Posts
    6,555

    Re: Superbike for the Street?

    Quote Originally Posted by nick5446 View Post
    Probably best described as "wildly inappropriate for most situations". I sold it after getting chased by a helicopter. It was kind of amazing because it had all of the power and chassis of a modern euro superbike, but absolutely none of the tech assist, so you are totally on your own when it comes to controlling it. If you get the chance to ride or own one, I would take it! I feel like they can be had for like $7k

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  25. #25
    Your Father csmutty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Pomfret Center, CT
    Age
    31
    Posts
    11,602

    Re: Superbike for the Street?

    Quote Originally Posted by jhawley View Post
    and you nailed it.
    lol.

    everyone that rode that 1200F got off of it like what planet fucking is this thing from.

    wasn't that photo from your zrx at the ice cream place on route 66 out past portland..? (what an awesome bike) something about was so cool and old shool at the same time.
    What pic of the zrex are you talking about?
    That zrex was another bike that was too fast for it's own good. Total couch with afterburners.

    I remember doing highway pulls against your viffer. I didn't stand a chance.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •