Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thumbs up to unmarked statie!!!

Re: Thumbs up to unmarked statie!!!

How about hearing it from the Cops about how to handle ownership of a track bike?

and yes.....Thumbs up to the statie. I think we have more stories of good cops here on this forum than bad cops.....

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Sold: 1999 Kawasaki ZX-7R
    2005 Pulsar 180 DTSi

Owning: Pulsar 220 DTSi

http://www.dhairyagupta.com
    http://bostonbiker.blogspot.com

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kamikaze View Post
    How about hearing it from the Cops about how to handle ownership of a track bike?

and yes.....Thumbs up to the statie. I think we have more stories of good cops here on this forum than bad cops.....
    If the vin doesn't come up stolen then there is no problem. End of story.

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    If the vin doesn't come up stolen then there is no problem. End of story.
    Been stopped a few times & the only time i've seen um check VINs is on harleys good job to them cops..

www.bostonmoto.com

Forum Rules
    Heres a condom. I figured since youre acting like a dick, you should dress like one too.

Quote Originally Posted by kamikaze View Post

the "wording" of the law is "push, operate, or tow". i wont get into details but the trooper had every right to stop their vehicle. as far as transporting a track bike, i would just use an enclosed trailer or simply cover it

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by boloson View Post
    the "wording" of the law is "push, operate, or tow". i wont get into details but the trooper had every right to stop their vehicle. as far as transporting a track bike, i would just use an enclosed trailer or simply cover it

Not sure what you're trying to point out here. I'm confused.

know the guys name or what he looked like?

was it a crown vic or charger?

want to give him props when i see him at the barracks

2006 Red Triumph Daytona 675

Coming back from NJMP with Jayspeed in my truck and his bike in the back, we were stopped at 3am by an unmarked state cruiser and another marked cruiser pulled up shortly after.

Cop shines wicked bright light into my mirror from behind so i can't see a thing, then approaches from passenger side and I have license and reg ready. he says thanks and asks if I know why he stopped me. I say 'no' and he says "well, it's 3am and you're driving a truck on the backroads of East Taunton with a sportbike in the back with no license plate, you have to admit it looks a bit suspicious. What's the deal?"

[snip]

Derek
    I dunno, maybe you are satisfied with being stopped just cause you were going about your business, and having your "papers" ready, to me it's just errosion of American freedoms

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    I dunno, maybe you are satisfied with being stopped just cause you were going about your business, and having your "papers" ready, to me it's just errosion of American freedoms
    Given the time of day and area - I see nothing wrong with this (I'll even compliment the cop). I see this along the same lines as having a game warden check my hunting or fishing tags out in the field...

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

Now, that's policework.

Derek
    Nice. to hear...

Was he in a unmarked silver Charger? I had a run in with a extremely nice statey Sunday morning going back into mass. My bikes is registered and everything in Mass, but since I have moved to NY back in March my inspection sticker is not up to date. Bikes only a year old and pretty much stock. He was really nice though, we talked for a bit about the Charger vs. Crown Vics ect...my gf was none to happy about our 10 minute convo on cars as she stood there pleasantly annoyed.

Just Registered

BMFR6 and I got stopped one morning (4 or 5 am) by the Auburn PD heading to an LRRS weekend with his bike in the back. Same deal asked us where we were going and such, then let us go. I see nothing wrong with it.

Quote Originally Posted by SSearchVT View Post
    Given the time of day and area - I see nothing wrong with this (I'll even compliment the cop). I see this along the same lines as having a game warden check my hunting or fishing tags out in the field...
    like I said, maybe you are satisfied with living in a police state, not I, no matter what time of day or circumstances, its just not what living in the United States is about

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Not sure what you're trying to point out here. I'm confused.
    "operating, pushing, drawing, towing or remaining". that is the wording in the statute. for example, an unregistered car parked on the street, an unregistered car ran out of gas & someone pushes it are both considered unregistered. in your case your bike(s) were not registered and were "drawn or towed" & technically violates c90 s9 of the G.L. the trooper told u something that its was due to time of night, no plates, blah blah blah but technically he was way within his legal rights to stop u. the trooper or any cops for that matter does not have the right to stop u based on "suspicions" unless of course they were looking for 2 bikes stolen out of bumfuck MA 5 mins prior to him stopping u or there was a violation with your vehicle or the way u were driving. if the trooper wanted to be gungho & be a dick, he couldve towed both your bikes.

the other person asked what would be the proper way to transport a track bike (unregistered/ uninsured) & i said to simply cover it or inside an enclosed trailer.

the trooper had every right to stop their car. get your facts straight before u respond with that freedom civil rights bs

the trooper had every right to stop their car. get your facts straight before u respond with that freedom civil rights bs
    I never said the trooper didn't have the right to stop anybody, I just believe that its' not right, I like to think we enjoy the freedom from leo's profiling people and stopping them

middle of nite, bike in back of truck, must be a steenkin thief, uh !,

it's none of the fucking leos business what I am doing driving on a public street anytime of day, explanations are not required

every day we are getting closer and closer to being in 1935 nazi germany

maybe your ok with it, I'm not, its not what my dad fought in WWII for, it's not what we fought any war for

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Does that apply to vehicles on a trailer? I know the law exists so that you don't chain a rusted POS to the back of Uncle Jed's pickup and tow it down the road, but it doesn't seem to make much sense for vehicles that are completely on a trailer.

Edit: And if it is in a truck bed, then you are not operating, pushing, drawing, or towing it (carrying it maybe?). The same could be said of a bike in a trailer. You are towing a trailer, which is registered. You are "trailering" the bike.

I'm just curious about this from a "technical" standpoint. If a cop wants to pull you over he is going to pull you over, period. Not having plates on a bike you are carrying is only one of a brazillion reasons any cop could use at any time to pull anyone over. I also ask because I dabble in old cars, and have always thought about buying a car trailer so I could pick up junkers in old barns to part out, etc. Do I need a dealer license to be able to put an unregistered car on a car trailer (not a dolly, but a full trailer)? (Edit Edit... found out that if you are doing it for money you need a commercial plate on a ramp truck or trailer).

And what about the drag racing car guys? They have unregistered cars on trailers all the time? Are they breaking the law?

Edit Edit Edit: On doing more research I don't think Chapter 90 Section 9 Applies to an unregistered motorcycle in a truck bed. They really can't pull you over for that. Of course, they can pull you over for "looking suspicious"

Last edited by chrisc; 10-16-08 at 01:36 PM.

I never said the trooper didn't have the right to stop anybody, I just believe that its' not right, I like to think we enjoy the freedom from leo's profiling people and stopping them

it's none of the fucking leos business what I am doing driving on a public street anytime of day, explanations are not required

maybe your ok with it, I'm not, its not what my dad fought in WWII for, it's not what we fought any war for

I kinda hope your have a bike stolen and not recovered.

You know, cause the thieves have right, too.

JFC.

I'm happy to sacrifice 10 minutes of my time to help anyone else that may have been misfortunate enough to have a bike stolen.

Original

Lifer

So let's say someone steals your bike when you're sleeping at 3AM. As they're driving down the road with it they pass a cop. You think that the cop should be forbidden from stopping that pickup truck? I disagree. I have no problem stopping for 5 minutes if there is a chance that the same stop will bring a bike theif to justice and return someone's stolen motorcycle. You call this line of thinking a nazi society?

that bolded statement is contradicting. u dont believe its right but the troopers dont make up these laws, they just enforce them. troopers have the rights to stop anybody yes.....if it's within their legal rights to do so. in this situation he did. the trooper didnt just stop anybody with bikes in the back of a pickup, there was an actual violation there as i tried to explain. was the trooper profiling? in the eyes of the law, no, why? cuz there was a violation. are there cops that profile? hell yes but is it right to label all cops as profilers?

what if the bikes were stolen & 1 of them bikes just happened to be yours & the trooper made that stop & was able to recover the bikes. would u be singing the same song?

look, i'm all for the freedom & all & wouldnt live anywhere in the world but here, but when people start bashing cops & how they profile, yada yada yada it gets on my goddamn nerves.
    ps a majority of cops are or was in some form of military service

i wonder what boloson's occupation is

you're forgetting that this is a public forum and someone's going to disagree with something said, no matter how right or wrong it is.

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

Quote Originally Posted by DBConz View Post
    you're forgetting that this is a public forum and someone's going to disagree with something said, no matter how right or wrong it is.
    That's not always the case.

Support the Troops! (Except for Mondo, that guy's a dick)
    -----------------------------------------------------

Just Registered Crash Dummy Denno's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisNoF4i View Post
    THANK YOU CHRIS, THIS THREAD IS CLOSED.

Denno - CCS|LRRS EX#49
    2006 Yamaha R6
    LRRS Rookie of the Year 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Crash Dummy Denno View Post
    THANK YOU CHRIS, THIS THREAD IS CLOSED.
    No its not.

Original

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisNoF4i View Post
    60% of the time.... it works all the time.....

that bolded statement is contradicting. u dont believe its right but the troopers dont make up these laws, they just enforce them. troopers have the rights to stop anybody yes.....if it's within their legal rights to do so. in this situation he did. the trooper didnt just stop anybody with bikes in the back of a pickup, there was an actual violation there as i tried to explain. was the trooper profiling? in the eyes of the law, no, why? cuz there was a violation. are there cops that profile? hell yes but is it right to label all cops as profilers?
    Does this really fall into chapter 90 section 9?

So whats this thread about again?

I thought it was props given to a cop who happened to be doing his job and its gotten to the point of explanations and arguments....

"operating, pushing, drawing, towing or remaining". that is the wording in the statute. for example, an unregistered car parked on the street, an unregistered car ran out of gas & someone pushes it are both considered unregistered. in your case your bike(s) were not registered and were "drawn or towed" & technically violates c90 s9 of the G.L. the trooper told u something that its was due to time of night, no plates, blah blah blah but technically he was way within his legal rights to stop u. the trooper or any cops for that matter does not have the right to stop u based on "suspicions" unless of course they were looking for 2 bikes stolen out of bumfuck MA 5 mins prior to him stopping u or there was a violation with your vehicle or the way u were driving. if the trooper wanted to be gungho & be a dick, he couldve towed both your bikes.

the other person asked what would be the proper way to transport a track bike (unregistered/ uninsured) & i said to simply cover it or inside an enclosed trailer.
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisc View Post
    Does that apply to vehicles on a trailer? I know the law exists so that you don't chain a rusted POS to the back of Uncle Jed's pickup and tow it down the road, but it doesn't seem to make much sense for vehicles that are completely on a trailer.

Edit: And if it is in a truck bed, then you are not operating, pushing, drawing, or towing it (carrying it maybe?). The same could be said of a bike in a trailer. You are towing a trailer, which is registered. You are "trailering" the bike.

I'm just curious about this from a "technical" standpoint. If a cop wants to pull you over he is going to pull you over, period. Not having plates on a bike you are carrying is only one of a brazillion reasons any cop could use at any time to pull anyone over. I also ask because I dabble in old cars, and have always thought about buying a car trailer so I could pick up junkers in old barns to part out, etc. Do I need a dealer license to be able to put an unregistered car on a car trailer (not a dolly, but a full trailer)?

And what about the drag racing car guys? They have unregistered cars on trailers all the time? Are they breaking the law?
    chapter 90 does not apply if 100% of the vehicle in question is not touching a public way. the towing vehicle is operating, and (if applicable) the trailer is being towed. the motorcycles in the back of a pickup or on a trailer are cargo/load. the "towing" rule would apply if you were using a tow truck or front dolly trailer to move a vehicle that has at least one axle on the ground - the vehicle being towed would need to be registered, inspected, insured, etc.

you are not required to cover your bike or use an enclosed trailer to transport an unregistered/uninsured vehicle, whether it be a regular car, race car, motorcycle, lawnmower, gokart, whatever. however, that's probably the best way to avoid the situation we're all discussing here...so if you don't want to have this happen to you, then that's a great suggestion. as for the trooper being able to have the bikes impounded, he would need to be reasonably suspicious the bikes were stolen or otherwise involved in a crime. if two bikes were stolen nearby, you were carrying two unregistered bikes matching the description, and couldn't prove ownership...then yes, having the bikes impounded until things are sorted out could potentially happen. you could carry a photocopy of the transferred title if you wanted to be able to easily prove ownership of an unregistered bike on the side of the road.

whether it's a violation of civil liberty or not is a different story. i don't transport stolen motorcycles in my truck and i can always spare 5 minutes for a quick chat...and you can be goddamn sure i'd want a trooper to stop and check a vehicle that turns out to be transporting a stolen bike. to each their own though - i certainly can understand how some people might find this to be an intrusion of their privacy.

in the end, i support what the trooper did and wouldn't be upset in the least if it happened to me.

- Jamie
    2009 K 1300 S

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast