Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

track bike for big guy

track bike for big guy

i have recently caught the track bug and am wondering what bike to get. i currently ride an mts 1200s and want a true track bike. problem is, i'm 6'3" 225lbs (no gear) and 34" inseam with limited joint flexibility (ok, ok... i'm old).

which sport bikes have the largest frames/best ergos for big guys?

on the duck side... i understand the 999 frame offers great flexibility with various rear sets and what not, and the 1198 is the largest frame.

thoughts?!?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: track bike for big guy

just go sit on some and see what feels right. not every bike will fit every 6'3" 225lb guy the same. what might be a good bike in someone else's opinion, might not fit you

I'm 6'2" 245 bare ass and my SV 650 does pretty well for me. I had right knee issues toward the end of a session. I made a 1 inch riser for my seat and that took care of things for me. You might also look into a FZ6. They appear pretty roomy.

I'm 6'3" but lighter (190lbs) and have never been on a sportsbike more comfortable than -- of all things -- an Aprilia RSV Mille.

if you have a chance to sit on an 02 aprilia mille check it out. I will be selling mine soon. It does seem to have a long reach for me and would defintely suite a larger person.

Quote Originally Posted by bartman314 View Post
    i have recently caught the track bug and am wondering what bike to get. i currently ride an mts 1200s and want a true track bike. problem is, i'm 6'3" 225lbs (no gear) and 34" inseam with limited joint flexibility (ok, ok... i'm old).

which sport bikes have the largest frames/best ergos for big guys?

on the duck side... i understand the 999 frame offers great flexibility with various rear sets and what not, and the 1198 is the largest frame.

thoughts?!?
    Aha, another rider who will be spending hours on Cycle-Ergo.

The thread that Burnham referred is me asking the same question last year. The short answer is I haven't found one. The riding position on a Multi-Strada is very similar to the V-Strom: no forward lean to speak of, pegs directly under the rider, relaxed knee angle of 80 degrees or more.

Your profile doesn't say how old you are but I am 58, 6'2, 240 and have a 32" inseam and long torso. My left knee is beat up from a knee operation in college and years of hard use. This has manifested itself as a loss of range of motion in flexion.

I bought an SV650 and upgraded the tires and suspension for my weight. Also got the gel seat (at least 1.5" higher) and put some Buell pegs on it which lowered the pegs another inch.

It was fine last season, but this year my knee was stiff enough that I couldn't ride it more than a few laps. At NJMP it might be better but the counter-clockwise NHMS was torture.

Took a CSS course earlier in the year and hoped the BMW S1000RR's they rent were the answer. But they really weren't any bigger than the SV or any other 600 or 1,000cc sport bike. It was also torture.

When I started lapping faster on the DL650 with Metzler Tourances than I was on a fully setup SV, that was a pretty clear indication that it was more important for the bike to fit you than to be on the latest hot bike.

For the last TTD session, I put Road Attack 2's [one of the few performlance tires for 19" front wheels] and sintered linings on the V-Strom and had a ball while lapping in the high 1:36's.

I'm going to try a few "sport touring" bikes over the winter like the GSX1250FA, but they are all much heavier and need suspension upgrades for track use. I'll probably just stick with the V-Strom and concentrate on having fun and riding it as fast as I can.

Goldwing, ask Wingerdor(or however his name is spelled)

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
    Goldwing, ask Wingerdor(or however his name is spelled)
    John Coleandro, the Lee Parks ARC course instructor?

Goldwing @ TonysTrackDays.com (b) - YouTube

I can appreciate that video now that I tried a few laps on the FJR in the blue group. Nice Job John.
    I would say to get up to the track and sit on as many bikes as you can. I think the naked SV has even lower pegs than the S model that I ride. Good luck finding something that fits.

thanks all...

i'm 48 with two ACL reconstructions and one hip arthroscopy/labral tear repair. i'm following up with 03worc9r to check out the mille.

if that doesn't fit... maybe the gullwing?!?

(actually... the mts 1200s is pretty good)

Hipo tires on MTS....horrify the little people.

Riding slow bikes slower. Wanderer's Avatar

Bartman - was this the MTS that had the rather bad day up at Loudon? (If so, hope all is well!)

One of the British bike mags has an article on this very subject this month, I think it was "Superbike"
    Said the ZX9R is a decent option and as a track bike is in the right price range.

Do you have a recent MultiStrada? It's a bike of interest to me but the owners I've talked to report ridiculous gas mileage - mid 30's. Last year on a group ride I got 51 on the V-Strom and riding right in front of me a MTS got 38. Rider magazine got even less. How do you do in regular use?

Quote Originally Posted by Expat View Post
    One of the British bike mags has an article on this very subject this month, I think it was "Superbike"
    Said the ZX9R is a decent option and as a track bike is in the right price range.
    Does look a little more roomy than an SV - 73 degree knee angle versus 70 according to Cycle-Ergo. Looks like the 08-10 ZX-10R is similar. I'm going to look at the Suzuki GSX1250FA

Last edited by Garandman; 08-31-11 at 07:05 AM.

Riding slow bikes slower. Wanderer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Do you have a recent MultiStrada? It's a bike of interest to me but the owners I've talked to report ridiculous gas mileage - mid 30's. Last year on a group ride I got 51 on the V-Strom and riding right in front of me a MTS got 38. Rider magazine got even less. How do you do in regular use?

Does look a little more roomy than an SV - 73 degree knee angle versus 70 according to Cycle-Ergo. Looks like the 08-10 ZX-10R is similar. I'm going to look at the Suzuki GSX1250FA
    Garandman if you run into me before I go you are welcome to play on my MTS. Gas mileage is about the 38 - 47 range. It is *hugely* dependant on how where and what speed I'm riding
    Highway - high 40s or more. HARD acceleration - low. Backroads mixed scratching, 38-44

This was better before the engine mapping fix came in to rectify low-speed surging. On the flipside, the engine is utterly stunning, and I can forgive the thirst

(there are now aftermarket Bazazz\Powercommanders hitting the market for this model, this may enable better mileage coupled with the better performance, as it feels like Ducati enriched the mix across the entire range with their fix)

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

I have to admit, for anything shy of all-out-strafing, my ST2 is really good fun on the track. Comfy too boot, and you can find one for ~$3k or less all day long. Not too sure there are many more comfortable options with the sporting potential of the ST series.

CCS/LRRS #83

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

i bet you could find a honda 599 on the cheap

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

update...

wanderer: yes, that was me and my mts highsiding at loudon in july. i came away lucky... broken hand (now out of cast) and light damage to bike - will pick up this week from pete at computrack. i'm now looking for a tracker to spare my mts further excitement...

garandman: i get high 30's doing mostly backgrounds in a 'sporty manner' :-). the mts really is a fun bike. highly recommended.

wrt trackers... i've tried a few bikes including a few mille's, 1098/1198 an ss and a paul smart, and a few japanese bikes (kaw's and yam's). i still want to try a 999 and, as as scottieducati suggests, an ST.

Just test sat a Ninja 1000 today. Definately more relaxed than pure sport bikes, but has more sophisticated suspension, better brakes, and more boost than most standards.