Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Finally, I have a bike again, YAY!

Finally, I have a bike again, YAY!

I posted this in the thread where I went to look at it, but I figured the title wasn't valid anymore

Yay for me! Payed cash for it. It needs a rear tire and after some investigation a new headlight. Three out of four tabs are busted and the reflector on the inside is hanging down. Other than that it's looks great and ran nice when I took it for a spin. I also need to tighten the band clamp on the mid-pipe. I washed it this past weekend in 40 degree weather and it made it real easy to spot the leak.

I'm super excited and can't wait for spring. I'd like to meet up with some people and go for rides and I will be doing a track day at least once! That is, unless I get addicted.

Anyone have a chain guard for one of these things? I'm not all that fond of having chain gunk flung up my backside. Well, I have all winter to find one...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Finally, I have a bike again, YAY!

congrats nice color

2006 Red Triumph Daytona 675

Wicked Pissah

Support the Troops! (Except for Mondo, that guy's a dick)
    -----------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by wicked13 View Post
    Anyone have a chain guard for one of these things? I'm not all that fond of having chain gunk flung up my backside. Well, I have all winter to find one...
    clean and lube the chain correctly, and you wont need a chain guard. the previous owner probably used WD-40 to clean the chain & it never dries between the joints will causes the lube to fly off your chain.

since you're planning on working on it over the winter, i would suggest taking the rear wheel off. let the chain hang into a pan of kerosene and clean your chain thoroughly with a brush. when you're ready to lube the chain back up, use a heat gun to get it hot then apply Maxima Chain Wax to it.

I've never had a drop of lube on my swingarm or any other part of the bike.
    unless you want a chain guard, you'll really only need it if you go for an inspection sticker at a dealership. if you go to a local bike shop that does inspection stickers, then dont even worry about having a chain guard.

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

North Reading (also known as the North Pole)

The issue most people have is they dont allow the chain wax to dry and then wipe off any excess. Do this and you should never have a flinging problem.

2006 Ducati Monster S2R800

Thanks for the tips. I might just pull the wheel then. I've got a few friends who are local that I can borrow a wheel stand from to make that easier. I'm trying not to spend much on it over the winter. I'll wait till it's 2 weeks before spring and go all out When I cleaned the bike the other weekend, it was a mess all over the swing arm and anywhere the lube could reach. Fun little projects to keep me entertained over the winter.

I think I still have a windscreen from When I had my 600R.

It's yours do to with it as you wish. It it the stock clear screen.

Great bike, I enjoyed mine.

Congrats!

Rides: 13 Hyperstada, 09 SFV650, 97 CBR 900RR
    www.tailofthedragon.com
    RIP A.B. RIP BEET, I Ride in Leathers because I would rather sweat than Bleed...

Banned

Congrats on the new bike and well done for saving up and paying cash for it.

On a side note, that new rear tire should really be a Pirelli :-) PM Boston Moto for info and prices on Pirelli tires.

a chain guard is required at inspection time.. FYI

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

Have you removed the cover over the front sprocket to see what's under there? If you have fling everywhere from the chain, it should be pretty caked up under that cover.

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

I think I remember about the chain guard being required for inspection. Looks like there is a separate tire hugger that goes with it as well. I think I found the screws for the guard as well. They were in the tool kit under the seat. I had to see micro fiche to figure out why I had four screws for that.

As far as the cover, I'll get to it when I pull the wheel. It'll be nice to reach everything once the wheel is off. The swing arm is still gunked up, but not bad like it was. My garage can be heated if I so choose But only when I'm in there, I'm not paying for that if I don't have too!

I really don't know what I want for a rear tire. I'd like to be able to get a full season out of it (6,000-8,000 miles is what I'm hoping to put on next season) I'd like a sticky tire, but I also want some mileage. The front was replaced this past spring with a Dunlop Sportmax Qualifier. (I think it's a "209") Is that more of a race compound tire? That's what it sounds like from what I've been able to research.

Is matching front and rear critical? I've never heard a concrete answer on that.

Half-squid - If I find myself near you, I wouldn't mind picking it up. Though mine seems in good condition. Just your typical scratches and swirls from riding it. Thanks!