Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Triumph Adventure

Re: Triumph Adventure

Quote Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
    A ta? Transalp?

--mark
    sorry, yes triumph adventure.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    jim

"Molon labe"

Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    sorry, yes triumph adventure.

Oh. Now known as a Tiger 800.

To address your concerns...

it's going to be down quite a bit on power compared to a tiger. Not all that much, and it's significantly lighter.

for me it's to heavy But a Tiger 955 or 1050 isn't? The XC is 473lbs wet, the regular 800 is 462lbs wet. Compare to a Tiger 1050 at 502lbs wet or a 955i at 474lbs DRY.

doesn't have enough suspension The 1050 has 150mm of travel; the regular 800 has 180mm; and the XC has 220mm. So how exactly is this not enough suspension?

not enough fuel 5 gallons, versus the Tiger 1050's 5.3 gallons... and the 800 looks like it'll be able to manage 45-50mpg. I wouldn't mind a bigger tank either, but how is this not enough fuel?

and is under powered Nearly 100hp and 60lb-ft of torque isn't enough?

Are you sure you've been reading the right spec sheets? Because if not, and you find this magical ultra-lightweight bike that still manages to combine serious horsepower with 12" suspension and 300-mile fuel range, I'd like to know about it!

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
    Oh. Now known as a Tiger 800.

To address your concerns...

it's going to be down quite a bit on power compared to a tiger. Not all that much, and it's significantly lighter.

for me it's to heavy But a Tiger 955 or 1050 isn't? The XC is 473lbs wet, the regular 800 is 462lbs wet. Compare to a Tiger 1050 at 502lbs wet or a 955i at 474lbs DRY.

doesn't have enough suspension The 1050 has 150mm of travel; the regular 800 has 180mm; and the XC has 220mm. So how exactly is this not enough suspension?

not enough fuel 5 gallons, versus the Tiger 1050's 5.3 gallons... and the 800 looks like it'll be able to manage 45-50mpg. I wouldn't mind a bigger tank either, but how is this not enough fuel?

and is under powered Nearly 100hp and 60lb-ft of torque isn't enough?

Are you sure you've been reading the right spec sheets? Because if not, and you find this magical ultra-lightweight bike that still manages to combine serious horsepower with 12" suspension and 300-mile fuel range, I'd like to know about it!

--mark

sorry i never thought of the 1050 as a real tiger.

as to the 955 much like the klr i thought it was good at a lot of things but great at nothing.

didn't the 955 have a 6.5 gallon tank? oh and yes it was heavy and didn't have enough suspension.
    i thought the 955 was down on power too, but i guess everything is once you've had 160hp at the rear wheel for a few years.

for me 5 gal isn't enough.

6.5 isn't bad 8+ is better, what can i say i don't care for stopping.

i've never got 50 mpg on anything and get around 35 on all my bikes

magical ultra-lightweight bike, for me that would be a 950 se
    claimed 418 lbs (i haven't weighted mine yet)
    7.9 gallon tank
    105-110 hp
    66 ftlb

with 7.8 gallons i can doo around 275 miles without a problem

on the gsa i can usually doo just over 300 miles with 8.7 gallons

jim

"Molon labe"

Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    magical ultra-lightweight bike, for me that would be a 950 se
    claimed 418 lbs (i haven't weighted mine yet)
    7.9 gallon tank
    105-110 hp
    66 ftlb

with 7.8 gallons i can doo around 275 miles without a problem

on the gsa i can usually doo just over 300 miles with 8.7 gallons
    The GSA is the only thing that comes with a tank that big. The 7.9 gallon tank on the SE doesn't count because it's aftermarket. The stock tank is like 3.5 gallons or something ridiculous. You could just as easily fit an auxiliary tank to the XC to extend its range.

I agree that the SE with the Safari tank is a great solution (it would be even better if it didn't chew through water pumps every 15k miles). I was really close to deciding to buy one for a while.

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe

Thread revival now that the new Gen 2's are out.

Picked mine up last week.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Jeff

Nice. I'm curious to ride one to see how it compares with my original XC, especially in terms of suspension.

Enjoy! (If this damn winter ever ends…)

--mark

Thanks. So far, the little I have ridden it at least, I'm liking the ride better than my old 800.

Of course it was in the 50's here last week and now it's bitter cold again. I got out on it a little Monday while the temps got up near 50.

Jeff

Congratulations on the new ride! Why the decision to go from a roadie to a an XC this time?

Just curious.

I'm not likely to make a change yet, but do appreciate the improvements in many little things they did to make a great bike just a bit better.

2021 Triumph Street Triple R, Sapphire Black

Quote Originally Posted by SprintPoser View Post
    Congratulations on the new ride! Why the decision to go from a roadie to a an XC this time?

Just curious.

I'm not likely to make a change yet, but do appreciate the improvements in many little things they did to make a great bike just a bit better.
    Because Bear Grylls endorsed this model. haha

[SIGPIhttp://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic8737_4.gifC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by SprintPoser View Post

Just curious.

Thanks. Back in 2011 when I originally bought my Roadie I went into the dealership wanting the XC. But, when I sat on that model year bike I could barely touch the ground even with the seat in the lowest position. I was coming from a bike I could touch the ground on rather easily so the fact I was on my tip toes was a turn off for me. So then I sat on the Roadie that was across the showroom floor and could touch much more comfortably for my taste. And the rest is history.
    I made the Roadie work for my needs but I knew I wanted to venture off road, which I did with my Roadie to an extent. I was careful with it knowing the suspension, ground clearance and cast wheels lacked for that stuff. I guess in a sense it made that type of riding less fun knowing the bike shouldn't be in those situations and it also deterred me from going on some more off road oriented trips.
    Then the new X package 2015's came out and they really hit all the marks that I wished my 2011 had. So the dealer most local to me got an XCx in so I went to check it out. I sat on it fully expecting to not be able to touch the ground again, but on this bike with the seat in the low position I could actually touch comfortably for me. I clearly couldn't touch as well as my Roadie but it wasn't that far off and I didn't feel at all uncomfortable. Maybe I was just more use to the bike from basically riding it for the past 4 years that the height didn't matter as much.
    I thought if the XCx was too tall I'd just get the updated XRx but the XCx fit me fine. And once you do the math the XCx is only about $500 more than the XRx. The XRx doesn't come from the factory with the aluminum skid plate, engine bars or radiator guard so basically add that to the price of the XRx seeing those are all items I added to my Roadie. So essentially for $500 more you get the updated/improved WP forks and rear shock with much more adjustment than the XRx.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by South of Heaven View Post
    Because Bear Grylls endorsed this model. haha
    I vaguely know who he is. He endorsed the bike? Commercially or on his show?

Jeff

I just noticed they've got the exhaust can heat shield powder coated black now, and of course you lose the "one year only" silver frame. A great looking bike though...to my eyes. You got the right color. I'm just not able to wrap my head around spokes and tubes.

My "stainless" heat shield on the 2011 was actually starting to show some rust colored discoloration. And yeah, the silver frame was rare but the black-ish frame actually goes well with this bike.

As for the spokes/tubes. For the amount of times I got a flat on my Roadie which was ZERO, I'm not worried about it. And when you go off road and happen to bend/break the bead on a cast wheel you'll appreciate the tubes. I'll just carry some spoons and a patch kit just in case. Everything has it's pro's and con's.

Jeff

Trade in the '11 or sell it yourself? Buy at Mark's Motorsports?

Traded and yes, Marks.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by GearHd6 View Post
    My "stainless" heat shield on the 2011 was actually starting to show some rust colored discoloration. And yeah, the silver frame was rare but the black-ish frame actually goes well with this bike.
    My heat shield has some quasi-rust spots appearing as well. I don't really care as they're on the surface only.

And I like my Tiger's limited-edition silver frame.

Quote Originally Posted by GearHd6 View Post
    As for the spokes/tubes. For the amount of times I got a flat on my Roadie which was ZERO, I'm not worried about it. And when you go off road and happen to bend/break the bead on a cast wheel you'll appreciate the tubes. I'll just carry some spoons and a patch kit just in case. Everything has it's pro's and con's.
    Yeah, on trips I carry a spare tube (sized for the front -- in a pinch it can be used in the rear too as it'll expand to that size) and a set of tire irons. Knock on wood, the only times I've needed them were to help a friend fix a flat on his bike. One of those times, for what it's worth, was on the Trans-Labrador Highway -- one of the guys riding with me, on an R1200GS with cast wheels, hit a pothole that put such a big dent in his front rim that the bead unseated and wouldn't hold air anymore. We had to pull the valve stem out of the rim and put a tube in the tire so he could finish the trip. If none of us had brought spare tubes, he would have been fucked, sitting with a useless bike 100 miles from the nearest town, with a bear wandering around nearby (we saw it as we were pulling the wheel off the bike).

So yeah, I'm okay with tubes. (All three of the bikes I currently own use them -- don't own any cast-wheel bikes since I sold the Wee-Strom.)

--mark

PS: It was actually pretty entertaining to read through this thread again from the beginning. Ah, the anticipation that built before the Tiger's arrival… I remember it well!

I'd probably have a couple of "stainless corrosion" spots on my exhaust can guard by now too, if I was actually riding the thing once in a while. It isn't clean and shiny because I spend time polishing, it's because the poor thing is ignored by it's owner who's too busy with family (not young kids), two homes to keep up, a machining hobby and too many working hours to ride it.

You'll both rail on me but it's a 2011 bought 3/31/2012, now with a paltry 9300 miles on it. Oh well.

Hey Ken
    you up for bennington this year
    Im jonesing to get on the bike

eat me

Congrats on the new bike Jeff. I love the new 800's!

Quote Originally Posted by Kenn157 View Post
    Congrats on the new bike Jeff. I love the new 800's!
    Thanks Kenn. Unfortunately it looks like the purchase brought winter back. Sorry about that!

These bikes definitely seem to check all the boxes the old bike missed.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Hey Ken

I'm the other Kenn and will be going.

Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Hey Ken
    Hey Mick,

I'd be up for it but don't know if I can get us a room at the Paradise. You want to try?

Ken (the other, other one.)

You guys can always head up to the campground with us cheap bastards.

On another note, I noticed this morning that the prices on a lot of ADV tires have come way down. There are a number of 150/70-17 knobbies now available in the <$130 range (Pirelli Scorpion Rally, Shinko 805, Kenda Big Block, Mitas E-07, etc). Next tire change, I may need to put a full set of knobbies on the Tiger to see how it likes the gnarlier Class 4 roads.

--mark

[QUOTE=SprintPoser;1403784]Hey Mick,

I'd be up for it but don't know if I can get us a room at the Paradise. You want to try?

Ken (the other, other one

Just realized I've got family visiting that weekend so I'm out

Last edited by zombie; 03-21-15 at 11:50 AM.
    eat me

Lifer

Just picked up an XCx a few weeks ago. Cannot wait for the warmer weather!

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Take two? I thought you absolutely hated your last one?

Jeff