Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2010 Deals Gap/ Dragon Trip. June?

2010 Deals Gap/ Dragon Trip. June?

So I have a friend who has a cabin here.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=35.420...,0.110378&z=14

The place is usually $130 a night. I can get it for a week at $750.

From my friend.
    "The cabin is 9miles or so east of deals gap off Hwy 28 and on a small lane off of Old Yellowbranch Road. It's along the south shore of Fontana Lake but up 300feet or so above the lake and about a half mile from it. In the trees, near the top of a mountain. My neighbor's an old skool Can-am and Porsche racer from back in the day. He has the corners on his driveway labeled turn one, turn two, etc. Its a neat spot.

Plenty of room for two tow behind type RV's, steep approach so must have a granny gear, no hook ups though. Tents are golden Big fire ring too!

I really think there's enough interest here on the forum. And I think there'd be quite a few who could make it. This bike should be on those roads....

Basically there's three ways to do this area right. One: the whole cabin in the woods thing which is kinda my place. My spot would accomodate up to fifteen bikes and fifteen to eighteen folks if you added in a coupla rvs and tents. And we could rent the place next door which is just as nice as my spot and has a hot tub. If we did that we could up it by a few more people.

There's only two pottys at my house though...

Method two:
    Rent a bunch of rooms at Fontana Resort which is about five miles away. Nice place, look it up. More money but has all the facilities for a very large group. Restaurant, ice cream shop, stuff for the ladies and kids to do while the guys are out shredding. The lake is right there...

Method three:
    Stay at Deal's Gap. Rowdy, focused on sportbikes and the 318/11mile run that is the attraction of this area.

You can never make everyone happy so its hard to say one way is better than another. Heck some can stay at each place and the 'rally' can happen as a daily meetup and rideout. That would be the best but it would only really work that way and be fun for all if each place of accomodation had a large enough group, say 10 at my compund, 10-20 at the gap and all the families with 'requirements' at Fontana.

Meetups would be maybe Big dinners at Fontana's five star, Lunches at the Gap, GP or AMA on the big screen Sunday afternoon, Fireside at the cabin cooking out or benchracing at the gap. They do have parking lot pitbike GP's practically nightly there...Meetup times predetermined or adjusted for weather as required...

If we could get 25-30 people (or more) with bikes and all of their people they'd travel with - It'd be epic...

By the way, its a dry county which sucks when you run out of beer...

If you've never been here its hard to explain how perfect these roads are...

And Doc, I'd love to do whatever I can as a sometime resident of the area to help organize this thing if you think its a good idea."

Sooooo... Who wants in? I can get this place just about any week he isn't using it and this is still in the VERY early planning stages as i am not even 100% I can get time off but I wanted to put it out there and see if there is any interest.
    I will be selective in who can come. Sorry but I will be responsiable and if I don't know you well enough I can't have you at the Cabin unless someone vouches for you. That doesn't stop people from staying at Fontan or deals Gap. I was thinking like 10 people tops at the cabin.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Doc; 02-19-10 at 02:08 PM.
    "I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Re: 2010 Deal Gap/ Dragon Trip. June?

Cabin would be the way to go.
    Been 3 times and can't wait to go back again, hopefully in the fall.

-John

"It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast,.. than to ride a fast bike slow."

07 Husky SM510R

Rockin' the West Coast... Femmekat's Avatar

Ooooh Ooooh oh... If the timing was right..... definitely would be interested. That would be epic....

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    I dunno, you dress too fashionably to be a communist
    LRRS Novice #629
    I ride/drive:
    2000 Yamaha R6
    1996 F-350 4x4 diesel truck
    and anything else with serious hp

Quote Originally Posted by Pestilence View Post
    Cabin would be the way to go.
    Been 3 times and can't wait to go back again, hopefully in the fall.
    Same here, except only the past 2 years for me. About 20 of us went down, stayed at the Two Wheel Inn. I can't say enough good things about that place. Barry & Linda(the owners) are great people, never got upset if we were out around the fire til 3am, and Barry was good for coming and sitting around with us at least a couple evenings while we were there. It's about 10 minutes from Wheelers(the garage at the beginning of the fun part of the ride to the Dragon), right in the center of Robbinsville, gas stations, convenience store, and 24 hour McDonalds all within 5 minutes.

It seems like you've got a few lodging options already Doc, but if you end up looking for another one, give Barry a call. This spring our trip isn't going to happen(to0 many schedule conflicts, life getting in the way, etc) but I'm hoping to head back down there again in the fall.

my sister lives about an hour away from there. i usually ride it every july along with the cherohala parkway which is a really nice ride through the mountains

95 Yamaha Seca II- Sold
    02 Ducati ST2

I go twice a year, 3rd week in April, and the 3rd week in September!

Performance: 1397 JE bigbore, Dual Intake cams, Adjustable cam spockets, Sm air box mod,Pc3 usb,Ingnition box w/hub, and Lcd screen, Hindle stepped race header, Dual Fans, 24 volt starting
    Suspension & Brakes: Ohlins road and track forks, Ohlins rear shock, Sprint top mount dampner, PRM top clamp, Dymag Carbon mags, Brembo HP rotors, Brembo Hp radial calipers,
    Show & GO: Topgun undertail, Libertek led lights, Pazzo lever, PMR Switches & Kill,PMR cover. Revolution Custom Paint, Harris Grips.

I went last year and would be willing to go again.

Looks like Fall is a good time to go?

Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Are you planning on riding down? How many miles is it?? After seeing a few trip reports on here I really really want to go but seems like this summer is gonna be tough on time for me....

-P

First week in Sept when the kids go back to school is the perfect time!!! I would go then...

No Traffic, because all the vacationers are gone. Less patrols as they know vacationers have left. The temps are still hot enough to enjoy the water mid ride for swimming did I mention little to NO TRAFFIC!!!!!

If you are serious about this then I would go! I have to be back for Sept 11, or first thing Sept 12. I could do the week prior of Aug 28 to Sept 4/5.

I have been there 8 times and know a ton of great routes and know a few good spots for good lunch stops! I am willing to be a guide and share my secret routes!

The sooner to plan this out the better! I would need a way to transport my bike down. No way in friggen hell am I riding down. 15-18 hour ride from Central mass... with multiple drivers you can do it in one shot, or what works best is get a cheap motel in VA and crash to start fresh the next morning and only leave 4-5 hours left to the destination, this gives you time to unload, shop for food, and squeeze in a Gap run before getting tired. Start off the next day fresh and ride all day long.

Rides: 13 Hyperstada, 09 SFV650, 97 CBR 900RR
    www.tailofthedragon.com
    RIP A.B. RIP BEET, I Ride in Leathers because I would rather sweat than Bleed...

Apprx 1000 miles from Central mass if you take the most direct route (Via Highway) Boring for a ride down on a bike!)

1200-1300 if you stray backroads working your way over to the Skyline drive in WV, then follow that to, Blue ridge parkway, this dumps you in Cherokee, NC which is 1/2 to the Gap! Beautifull ride, but LONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG...

Quote Originally Posted by P_easy View Post
    Are you planning on riding down? How many miles is it?? After seeing a few trip reports on here I really really want to go but seems like this summer is gonna be tough on time for me....

-P

www.tailofthedragon.com
    RIP A.B. RIP BEET, I Ride in Leathers because I would rather sweat than Bleed...

Quote Originally Posted by Half Squid View Post
    Apprx 1000 miles from Central mass if you take the most direct route (Via Highway) Boring for a ride down on a bike!)

1200-1300 if you stray backroads working your way over to the Skyline drive in WV, then follow that to, Blue ridge parkway, this dumps you in Cherokee, NC which is 1/2 to the Gap! Beautifull ride, but LONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG...
    Been there a few times,I rode down once................VERY boring slab ride.
    Soo..........can ANYBODY tag along on this trip??
    I promise not to crash...........

Last edited by fivetoez; 02-19-10 at 11:38 AM.
    I miss ya Beet....ya Git!

Quote Originally Posted by P_easy View Post

-P
    Almost 900 miles. I will most likely trailer down.

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Quote Originally Posted by Half Squid View Post

If you are serious about this then I would go! I have to be back for Sept 11, or first thing Sept 12. I could do the week prior of Aug 28 to Sept 4/5.

I have been there 8 times and know a ton of great routes and know a few good spots for good lunch stops! I am willing to be a guide and share my secret routes!

The sooner to plan this out the better! I would need a way to transport my bike down. No way in friggen hell am I riding down. 15-18 hour ride from Central mass... with multiple drivers you can do it in one shot, or what works best is get a cheap motel in VA and crash to start fresh the next morning and only leave 4-5 hours left to the destination, this gives you time to unload, shop for food, and squeeze in a Gap run before getting tired. Start off the next day fresh and ride all day long.

Sounds like Aug 28th to the 4th would be betterer...

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Been a few times, bit over rated but still a good time.

You really should take the ride over to Wolf Pen Gap, just like the dragon without the traffic or cops. It's only about an hour away.

Last edited by FireboltEric_MA; 02-19-10 at 12:01 PM.

The Blue Ridge Parkway is really nice also!!

I miss ya Beet....ya Git!

Rockin' the West Coast... Femmekat's Avatar

Fall would be awesome, better chance of getting time off work!

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    I dunno, you dress too fashionably to be a communist
    LRRS Novice #629
    I ride/drive:
    2000 Yamaha R6
    1996 F-350 4x4 diesel truck
    and anything else with serious hp

Doc's in?

I'm out..

Quote Originally Posted by DBConz View Post
    crouching tiger, hidden mondos

I vote late September.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Almost 900 miles. I will most likely trailer down.
    So you're not going to ride the blud ridge parkway or skyline?????

Seriously Eric?? You must not have seen all the roads in the area? Deals Gap is good and fun, but if you dont check out the area your missing out on some seriously sweet twisties, and increadible scenery.. Come down with us and explore. Right Clay? Wolf Pen Gap Route 160 is NICE! We know ways to get there that are fun, I LOVE GEORGIA ROADS!!!! Definately a day trip!

Quote Originally Posted by FireboltEric_MA View Post
    .Been a few times, bit over rated but still a good time.

www.tailofthedragon.com

Re: 2010 Deals Gap/ Dragon Trip. June?

I just get sick of all the IDIOTS on the gap. Over the years it has gotten worse, that's all. I do love the road, its the people that bug me.

I've ridden around there a ton, use to go every year. Sometimes twice a year. They do have the BEST-EST Roads no question about it.

I like the roads nobody else is on.

Quote Originally Posted by FireboltEric_MA View Post
    Been a few times, bit over rated but still a good time.
    I tend to agree but only because its over packed with fools. There are plenty of other places to enjoy in that area however....plenty.

Re: 2010 Deals Gap/ Dragon Trip. June?

go on a weekday and get up early. you'll have enough road to yourself. save the peak times for exploring some less popular areas. If you have decent weather, I dont see how its possible to have a bad time.

6am, noone in sight

My march trip got postponed to June, maybe I'll run into some of you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast