Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Need suggestions for a ride tomorrow

Late notice, but I figured its worth a shot. I'm tossin the bike on the trailer and heading up north to the Kank, Loon Mtn, the Flume, White Mountain area. I'm taking the lady along and looking for suggestions on some good roads for twisties and some scenic stuff. Also looking for activities (for lack of a better word) that we could check out. Maybe if there is a real good place to grab lunch or take a swim, I don't know I'm completely open to ideas.

Thanks in advance.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

my suggestion is to RIDE the bike up north. why would you tow it up? or is it broken and your towing it north so it can be fixed then you are ride when its done?

~ Life passes most people by while they're busy making grand plans for it.~

Lifer

The common man is a great place to get a pretty nice dinner.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by fasterthanu View Post
    my suggestion is to RIDE the bike up north. why would you tow it up? or is it broken and your towing it north so it can be fixed then you are ride when its done?
    I'm with you on that, I've done it before myself, but I figured it would be fairly uncomfortable for my girlfriend to spend an hour and 45 minutes cruising up the highway on a sportbike, when I then planned on spending the day riding around up there, and then having to deal with the hour 45 back down the highway. I realize we could take back roads all the way up, but we're talking going about 100 miles due north and could spend all day just getting there.

Quote Originally Posted by hessogood View Post
    The common man is a great place to get a pretty nice dinner.
    Thanks, I'll look into that.

Quote Originally Posted by RacerXnh10 View Post
    I'm with you on that, I've done it before myself, but I figured it would be fairly uncomfortable for my girlfriend to spend an hour and 45 minutes cruising up the highway on a sportbike, when I then planned on spending the day riding around up there, and then having to deal with the hour 45 back down the highway. I realize we could take back roads all the way up, but we're talking going about 100 miles due north and could spend all day just getting there.

cough....cough..........uh..you bought a sport bike. They aren't meant to be comfortable for the lady

Lifer

If you teach her the proper way to ride on the back it's plenty comfortable for both of you. I've put down 400+ mile days with passengers hard on the twisties without issue.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

I understand they weren't designed to be comfy for a passenger, or even especially for a rider, but she really likes riding and I told her we'd go to the White Mountains today. The idea is that there isn't much point in cruising 100 miles up a highway, particularly since sustained highway speeds without much wind protection can get fairly tiring. I don't think I've done 400 miles with her in one day, maybe 2-300 though, but again not at a sustained 75 mph, and running around on the coast was a more pleasurable ride than 30 exits up and then back down 93.

We're taking off in about 20 minutes here, and the original point of the post was for ideas on some good spots to check out and somehow the whole thread got focused on whether or not I should use a trailer to get there... I'll check out the Common Man, thanks for your input.

Check out grouprider - you can plot a custom route and print out turn-by-turn directions.

GroupRider.com - The place to find motorcycle group rides and people to ride with

As far as a route to take up, you can take route 16 up to laconia and then jump on route 3 in meredith and up to the Kank from there?

Just bustin chops re: the comfort of a sportbike. Have a great ride and ride safe!

Quote Originally Posted by KillBill View Post
    you can take route 16 up to laconia

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

WHOOPS

We ended up going up to the flume, taking the walk, spent some time in Lincoln, rode across the Kank, stopped for a swim, rode up to North Conway to go to the outlets and get some ice cream, and then back down to Windham. The trailer stayed at home, but if we make the trip again we'll probably tow it up to exit 20 and ride on from Tilton. It would cut an hour each way of highway driving off the trip. Logged 267 miles today and she's a real champ for spending a day on the back of a Daytona. I'll post pictures later.

A lil' late reading this post but since you said you're going up again I'll offer up some roads. You can trailer all the way to the Kanc and save both of your a$$e$ for the good roads. Ride the Kanc (112) east from Lincoln but keep your eyes open as there will be plenty of cars and bikes entering your lane. After you're down the back side look for Bear Notch road on the left. If you miss it, you'll hit dirt on the Kanc so turn around. Bear notch road is twisty but bumpy so your passenger will get a workout staying planted. When you hit Rt.302 head north/west up through Crawford Notch. That will bring you back to Rt. 3S and 93S so you can pass through Franconia Notch for a little mid-ride rest that's quite scenic. That'll drop you back at the Lincoln exit. If you've got plenty left, take the Kanc (112) west this time then turn off on Rt. 118. That'll put you back in the mountains for some twisties again until you reach Warren. From there I'd probably u-turn and ride 118 back the other way since it's that fun.

There are other options that avoid Rt.3/I93 like staying on Rt. 302 till it hits Rt. 112 but for scenic reasons I figured you'd rather pass through Franconia Notch.

Enjoy!

Thanks, we're planning on making another trip up. I'd heard good things about Bear Notch, we'll catch it next time. They finished the paving though, seemed real new since there were no lines and it still had a dusting from trucks on it. 118 sounds good too. I posted pictures and a ride report on a different forum, here's the link to the thread.
    NH Ride Report - SPORTBIKE.COM

I agree. 118 IS a nice set of twisties, a bit bumpy towards the end, but still a very nice road. I ran it during Laconia bike week. Then we took Kancamangus hwy all the way to 16. It was a blast.

ZX10R
    Ned

RacerXnh10, you used to have a 636 right? I remember you from kawiforums posting something about your bikes' tranny fucking up. So you replaced it with a 675 huh? How do you like it? How does it compare to your previous bike?

ZX10R
    Ned

Yeah I sold that off to a racer. He said no sweat he was going to undercut the tranny anyway.

I like the 675 a lot. The inline 3 has a noticable amount more torque and the power comes on a lot sooner. I like the power curve a lot better too, it sits about 10 hp above all the other 600s until the very spike, and then its only about 1.5 hp lower. Its a much more street friendly motor. Handling is unbelievable. Its so crisp and 45 degrees of lean is no harder to achieve than 10 degrees. Bumps don't upset it at all either, it holds a line real nice. The brakes are at the top of the class, maybe because it comes stock with SS lines, but they have better feel than any bike I've been on. The whole bike just feels real tight and well built.

Downsides are that the bars are low and the seat is hard making it the most uncomfortable bike I've been on, but you get used to the ergos of any bike when you spend enough time on it. It also gets hot as hell with the exhaust running up under your right leg, and then when the radiator fan comes on the hot air pours out the holes in the right fairing cooking your leg.

I'd say I'm happier with the Daytona, especially after dealing with Kawasaki and having them refuse to warranty 2nd gear.

I'm new to NH.. I am well adjusted to VT route 100. If youv'e been there you know what I'm talking about. I'm looking for a ride in NH that might be as good.

Another EVIL twin.

Racer - good pix.

Got bugs?

Quote Originally Posted by KillBill View Post
    Racer - good pix.

Got bugs?
    Man, it was fine until dusk. Then it was just like we were bombarded. The front of the bike was even worse.