Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Unemployment Trip to Adirondacks!

Unemployment Trip to Adirondacks!

I saw the thread by Cheese-GSXR and thought I would share my experience on riding in Adirondacks with you guys. First day was a hik in Vermont with my friend who lives in Burlington, VT and whom I converted into a biker and is also a part of NESR now.

----------------------------------------------------------
    “What is the good of being a genius if you cannot use it as an excuse for being unemployed?”
    Gerald Barzan

Day 1:

August 22nd, 2008 was my last working day, as an intern, at Irving Oil and I still did not have a job lined up. I decided to go for a weekend ride and camping rather than sulk in my apartment. A friend helped me fix the brakes and change the brake pads on Friday night and by next morning my brakes were in a perfect working condition. I had rented a Tent and Sleeping pad a day earlier for the weekend. I strapped the sleeping bag, the tent, sleeping pad and my back pack on the bike and set sail. I had to use innovation to be able to be able to strap all of them as this bike is not exactly designed for adventure touring. I started riding early morning on Saturday and caught the sunrise when I was on the highway. Last time I remember seeing a sunrise was when we were partying overnight in Lima, Peru.

My Camera was acting all funny. I think having been on my tank bag for so long for the past few weeks, something inside it came loose or something. This is the kind of pictures it started taking. The whole image was shaking very vigrously and the camera was making a funny clicking sound

As soon as I entered Vermont, I had plans to hit PDR – Puppy Dog Road, a dirt and gravel track which goes all the way upto Canadian Border. I did some part of it but unfortunately I had to leave that track when I saw the floating bridge, which is a major part of it was closed. Also I had to meet up with a friend for a hike in Burlington, VT. So, after riding some dirt tracks

I hit the highway and slabbed it all the way to Winnoski, VT where my friend lives. Soon me and Adam left for Camel’s Hump. We hiked up for about 2 hours and the view from the top was amazing. I think it will be a great hike in fall for the colors. The hike down took us almost the same time and by the time we reached the bottom, we both were starving. Went to his place, showered quickly and then left with his room mate for getting some food. Nothing better than a huge Burrito when you are starving!

Day 2 Coming Up!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Sold: 1999 Kawasaki ZX-7R
    2005 Pulsar 180 DTSi

Owning: Pulsar 220 DTSi

http://www.dhairyagupta.com
    http://bostonbiker.blogspot.com

Re: Unemployment Trip to Adirondacks!

I just came back last night from a backpacking trip in the High Peaks. Great weather and awesome mountains. Here are some pictures from the trip.

Last edited by brewmaster; 03-31-09 at 05:47 AM.
    M900ie
    SS750
    69 gas gusslin' Chevy
    LRRS EX #418

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster View Post
    I just came back last night from a backpacking trip in the High Peaks. Great weather and awesome mountains. Here are some pictures from the trip.
    Love the second pic.....

Planning to do Mt Washington this week

2005 Pulsar 180 DTSi

What lake is that? ...and WHERE is it? Very cool panorama pic!

Day 2: Rode the T**** Road!

Stayed at my friend's place for the night. Crashed on his couch but got a great sleep after the tiring day or riding and hiking.

Next morning, hit the road after a long and lazy breakfast. Hit some nice back roads in VT

Took the Chimney Point Bridge into NY and straight into Adirondacks Park.

I wish I had one of those

I wanted to do the super secret T road I had heard about and asked around for it. Once there, the road was awesome. It really looked like it was designed by a race track designer.

I was very happy after riding it. Did it about thrice. Very few pics and no pics of the real twisties for obvious reasons.

I needed a small snack break after that

I really wanted to see the Lake Placid. Realised the lake was one of the smallest in the area and could not even find it. Anyways

Found out about a camping spot from the info center and headed out there. It was quiet a ride from the Lake Placid. The roads in the park are awesome. Nice and twisty

A small mishap happened over here. I put the bike on the stand and was taking out the camera from the tank bag to take pictures. Suddenly the bike started to tilt towards the right. I had my hand full with the camera and I put it quickly back into the bag and tried to save the bike but it still tipped over. A family had also stopped at the rest stop and helped me pick up the bike. Small damages – Indicator cover broke but would still would need to fix the whole assembly, scratch on the headlight cowl and sctartches ont eh lower fairing. Anyways, as long as no major damage happens, I am fine with it. The carbs were flooded so had to wait for them to be normal before I started again.
    I camped at Fish Creek Pond. I realized the camping spot was expensive - $22.50 but was in no mood to find the free spots and did not have enough tools like a coking stove or any food to camp alone. So set up camp in the public camping area.

My Campsite was unique in many ways. I was the only Indian in the whole park. I was the only one on a bike and I was the only one who was alone

This is how a regular campsite looked like

This is how mine looked

One of the reasons for choosing this park over others was it was one of the few which were just long the water. View from my campsite

The campsite also had a live musician playing in the evening. Went and listened to some old country songs.

Now I was feeling a little tired and did not have any food with me. Had some Icecream from a Ice Cream Truck in the park and then rode to the local deli shop to get a Subway Sandwich. Also got a beer, came back to the site and had probably the longest Subway Sandwich dinner ever just looking towards the lake and enjoying the isolation.

Retired into my little home for the night

2005 Pulsar 180 DTSi

Posting Freak

That's great man, looks like a fantastic time

Thanks CBR_Knight and Ryno....

It was a nice short trip for three days with quiet camping, hiking and lots and lots of riding!

2005 Pulsar 180 DTSi

Cool trip man. I've never camped while on a ride but I think I'm gonna give it a shot next year.

Nice write up!
    Went to Adirondack Park myself with a buddy on Labor day weekend. We went all the way to the western side of the park, which wasn't as good as the eastern side. Roads over there are wide open with not so many turns. Lake Placid is a really nice area, lots of hotels and nightlife. Nice views of the lake and mountains. Although the roads around that town were a little crowded, holiday weekend probably? Anyways, we did 1k miles in 2.5 day trip, all backroads pretty much. It was fun, we did not stay in Lake Placid that time, but definately will next time.

ZX10R
    Ned

[QUOTE=nerijusj;589625] we did 1k miles in 2.5 day

You wimp, cheese did it in a day.

Mike

05 636
    Green Machine

07 Husky sm510

Quote Originally Posted by ahtune69 View Post
    You wimp, cheese did it in a day.
    Read his post again fool

ZX10R
    Ned

Quote Originally Posted by Jerrinator View Post
    What lake is that? ...and WHERE is it? Very cool panorama pic!
    Colden Lake between Mt. Colden, Mt. Iroquois, Mt. Boundary and Mt. Algonquin in the High Peaks.

M900ie
    SS750
    69 gas gusslin' Chevy
    LRRS EX #418

hey VG- sorry i didnt get back to u when u were on campus i had some meetings and didnt end up doing anything bike-related.

trip looks awesome, would love to do something like that sometime! thanks for sharing.

Current:
    00 Aprilia RSV-R

Past:
    06 R6
    05 R6
    97 Honda F3

Re: Unemployment Trip to Adirondacks! Day 3

Day 3: Riding around the park, Ferry back to VT and Slabbing on the highway.

Got up and just lazed around in the quite tent. Finally it was time to leave and before I left I spent some time reading a book sitting on the picnic bench next to the lake. I decided to go to Plattsburg and take the ferry over to VT and then slab it out on the highway.

Nice Roads again

I went off course at one point after missing a turn but took the opportunity for taking an awesome pic

My thirst for dirt road never ends. I found one and started riding thinking it was leading to a lake

After riding for a while I realized it was going nowhere only to later realize it would take me back to the original highway. Anyways, the short 30 min ride on it was awesome

I reached Plattsburgh and after a much needed lunch (had not eaten since morning) I headed out for the Ferry

My bike’s first boat ride

After I was dropped off, went through Grand Isle and this road to reach the highway I-89

Once I was on the highway, I slabbed it out all the way to Portsmouth only stopping for gas and a coffee.

I came back poorer, unemployed but happy! Need to find a job now to keep paying for the gas!

2005 Pulsar 180 DTSi

great post!
    I love reading about these trips. I really need to get out on the bike next season for a long haul.

cool stuff man...great pics...thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBitch View Post
    From my experience, its the natural red heads (aka gingers) that have no soul--- I mean are crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by McBiggity View Post
    great post!
    I love reading about these trips. I really need to get out on the bike next season for a long haul.
    For me, the craze of biking started with long trips. If I have enough money next season, I plan to go to for an additional Beemer F650 and do some real off road trips. I think there are enough takers for that here and won't have trouble finding riding partners for those trips

2005 Pulsar 180 DTSi

Great pictures and write up Kamikaze. I grew up riding in the Dak's, and this reminds me how much I miss it. In fact driving up to do the hiking also did. Good to see you enjoyed them and that the weather couldn't be much better while you were there (except maybe a bit cold in the mornings).

M900ie
    SS750
    69 gas gusslin' Chevy
    LRRS EX #418

Great pictures and write up Kamikaze. I grew up riding in the Dak's, and this reminds me how much I miss it. In fact driving up to do the hiking also did. Good to see you enjoyed them and that the weather couldn't be much better while you were there (except maybe a bit cold in the mornings).

Thanks Brewmaster! Grwoing up in dacks must've been fun specially if you like outdoors.

Next time I will carr some of your beer to keep me warm or atleast I won't feel the cold!

I am still looking for a job, but as as soon as I get one, will do another weekend trip there during color change in fall..lets see...hope the weather is still warm enough.

2005 Pulsar 180 DTSi

Nice pics & sounds like you had a good time. This makes me look forward to my Canada trip in July...but I think I might try a few other weekend trips beforehand

Sounds like a few people are interested in this...maybe a group can get together late spring '09!!!

96 Suzuki GSX600F

If you can't be kind, be vague...

Quote Originally Posted by Wrynne View Post
    Nice pics & sounds like you had a good time. This makes me look forward to my Canada trip in July...but I think I might try a few other weekend trips beforehand

Sounds like a few people are interested in this...maybe a group can get together late spring '09!!!
    I had an awesome time. No doubt. Yes, a group camping trip would be awesome.....It was sorta unplanned trip. All I knew was I am going to Adirondacks and knew some routes (which included some dirt roads - I love riding off-road) and I knew Lake Placid area is one of the most populated areas.

So if there is a group, we can also see night life of Lake Placid.

2005 Pulsar 180 DTSi

Awesome write up and great pictures!!! I grew up about 45 mins south of Lake Placid and it's a great town in the summer time with lots of good roads. I'll definately be interested if you do another weekend camping trip during foliage season.

We should start planning then!

2005 Pulsar 180 DTSi