Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

#256 race report.

#256 race report.

Friday
    Did not leave the shop till after 7:00 after finally getting my suspension set up and my frame bolt replaced I wanted to be at the track by 6:45..

Practice 1 sucked.. I sucked. It was like I had never done this before. Sloppy and slow. Practice 2 was a bit better but still really off pace and unsure. I kept feeling like I don’t belong out there and getting frustrated.

Went out for my first race, Race #3 did not come in last but that is not saying much, I still felt like I was racing like crap though I was starting to feel better by the 4th lap and then they red flagged the race so it was over.

My second race, Race #11 I get out there and when I am doing the warm up lap the bike seem to be shifting funny. By the end of the lap it seems ok. I lined up and did the start I only got two upshifts and the shifter arm jammed.. the entire pack zoomed away. I jammed it up and then trying to downshift into turn 3 the arm would not return on its own when down shifting. CRAP. I was sure I busted my transmission or even just the spring on the shifter. Either way I was don for the weekend no one has parts for my bike. I fart around the rest of the lap and pitout. After I am off the track I pull over and reach down… a screw from my bodywork had worked its way out just far enough to jam the shifter arm. A stupid little screw that I should have checked when I checked the clips for the rest of the bodywork.. well at least is was not totally broken but that race was a wash.

Sunday. I got up with the same alarm as Saturday, which was dumb I could have slept another hour since I did not have to do registration or Tech inspection or set up the pit.. but we were up so off to the track we went.

For my first practice I was looser and more relaxed feeling good. I got on the gas earlier and harder into turn 4 and ended up on the outside of 5 instead of the middle so I entered turn six (the bowl) on a different line. I was doing ok but hit a bump and the bike stood up I could not get it to get back into the turn and the wall and tires were fast approaching so as soon as I go to the gravel I threw the bike to the ground and slid off the track. The corner workers got the bike up and out of the way. I busted up the fairing and scratched up the engine covers but noting too serious. She started right back up so I rode her out the turn 6 gate and back to the pit. On my way around the area I pit I yelled out to the other guys “I need some duct tape..” kidding and to show I was fine.. (well mostly today my lower back is really sore and my middle back is a bit sore.) I pulled into my spot and at least 3 guys were right there surveying the damage. Before I had my helmet and gloves off they were stitching the fairing back together with zip ties and striating the handle bar that bent a little. (thanks Tall Rick, Pasta Rocket, Kurlon, I know there must have been more help buzzing around but I was a bit wired from the tumble)
    I ended up with plenty of time to dump the 4-5 lbs of gravel out of the belly pan and go over to tech to get the ok to bring it back on the track before my next practice.

Practice 2 went well I was feeling good loose no issue thru the bowl it was cut short for some reason I am guessing the cleanups from the other practice put our timing at risk for getting lunch and starting the races on time.

Race. GTU 20 min race (my only Sunday race).
    Race started as they all do. I get a decent start but my timing is off for the first few turns and I end up at the back of the pack. But then I started to get into it. Rolling into it, turning deeper. The last race weekend I was at I was excited because my knee touched in to bowl. This race I fully dragged my left knee in turn 1, 2 6-7 all the way 9 and touched in 11 and my rt knee dragged in 1a and touched in 3 only one real mess up coming hot into turn 1 I am leaned all the way over my knee grinding on the pavement my toe and foot peg grinding… I have no more lean and I am not turning enough the grass is on its way and if I am in this lean when I get there I am going down so I throw the bike upright and Motocross it over the grass. Phew… not only did I drag knee fully I also posted my best time of 1:30.5 my previous best lap was 1:34.3 and I got two laps at 1:30.XX that race. 9 out of 13 laps were faster than my best ever lap.

I am improving I more race weekend to go and maybe I will be able to make it up the Friday before to get in some practice and get in the groove earlier.

Maybe one day I will be good. Maybe next time I will get into the 20’s

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Seth
    LRRS/CCS NV #256

2007 Ducati S2R1000 Street
    2000 Triumph TT600 Track For Sale
    1984 Honda Magna needing reassembly.
    1974 Honda CB 750 needs wiring
    1974 Honda CB 350 needs engine work

Re: #256 race report.

If you're dragging knee in 1a you're too far from the curb. You should lift your knee up to get it over the curb.

But way to go, always nice to be able to get back out there after a crash, let alone post a PB

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

yah i am still cleaning up that line. i also know i am not getting high enough after 12 and after 2.

oh and i forgot to thank Zip Tie Ally for helping me out with the Allen wrenches when i tried to go to tech Sat morning with my Belly pan on.. DOH!

Seth
    LRRS/CCS NV #256

Zip Tie Alley, where people who forget to take their belly pan off go! I didnt even realize that was you at the time, did you make it back to the pit with the lower intact?

Zip Tie Alley #505

Nice work man! Keep it up!

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    Zip Tie Alley, where people who forget to take their belly pan off go! I didnt even realize that was you at the time, did you make it back to the pit with the lower intact?
    yah the bigger the back hump the faster you go right?

Seth
    LRRS/CCS NV #256

You were looking great Sunday, the change from Saturday and weeks prior was huge, especially through 2. You just flowed through carrying decent speed instead of getting stiff, good to see.

I was also pleased that I wasn't able to chase you down in the GT, you're finding fast quicker than I am, you bastid! : )

Quote Originally Posted by QuarterGig View Post
    yah the bigger the back hump the faster you go right?
    Haha as long as Nasty Nate doesnt catch you speeding through the infield

Zip Tie Alley #505

nice meeting you bud

you too. man, hope you can make it up for next time. continure with the insanity

Seth
    LRRS/CCS NV #256

congrats on the new PB. well done! just keep logging the miles and working on the little things and the times will come

Scott
    1990 Honda Hawk NT700 (rebuilt?)
    2012 Ducati Streetfighter 848 (retarded fun)

Quote Originally Posted by QuarterGig View Post
    oh and i forgot to thank Zip Tie Ally for helping me out with the Allen wrenches when i tried to go to tech Sat morning with my Belly pan on.. DOH!
    Oh snap! Wished I knew it was you!

I was the "other guy" that helped.

Glad to have sorta met you.

i am relizing i need some NESR stckers for my race bike so people can help connect me here..

one of these weekends i will swing by and just say "hi"

Seth
    LRRS/CCS NV #256