Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Custom Suit Opinions

Question Custom Suit Opinions

So I'm looking into getting a custom suit done after being told that my suit was dry rotting! WTF...I'm so not happy about it now, but I'm done messing around and decided to get something that will hold up to wear (and...ahem...pavement) for more years than most off the rack suits. I'd love to get a double zip front entry, a low profile collar, probably a small speed hump, hard armor, and just some basic color design.

So this is what I've come up with and am looking for opinions:

Vanson:
    Their product speaks for itself...just look around during a race weekend. I've heard "so-so" things about their customer service, but they were pretty straightforward when I was in the shop yesterday. Double zip, low profile collar, hard armor, basic custom colors. They're the most expensive by about $600 and they're time estimate is also the longest. If I could have it quicker this would be my choice because the shop is 20 mins away from my house.
    Price - $1755
    Timeframe - approx 2 months

Syed:
    Same heavy leather, triple stitched, quality with a good reputation and great word of mouth. Hobbs has abused his, and other than some scuffs, it's no worse for the wear. I know Tony has been using their stuff for a while too, and Manny just picked one up, but I don't think he's "tested" it. Doesn't do the double front zipper, but they do an extended single zip for ease of entry and the low profile collar. Basic custom colors.
    Price - $1155
    Timeframe - 1 month

Barnacle Bill:
    Same heavy leather, triple stitched, etc... Great reputation on the WERA boards, but I don't see anyone using him around NHIS (obviously vanson is the local favorite...and they sponsor). I did see one at a track day last year and after an absolutely brutal highside in seven, the rider said he'd buy another from Bill. He can do the double zipper, low collar, etc.
    Price - $1175
    Timeframe - 2-3 weeks.

Obviously, I need to figure out the August weekend, but I could get the Syed and BB suits before labor day.

Any opinions based on what you guys have seen/heard?

Thanks

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Brian
    LRRS/CCS EX #881
    WMRRA EX #281

Custom Suit Opinions

i don't think you can go wrong with any of the three.
    I would love a custom suit, but it's not in the finances right now.
    I read alot of great things about BB and his customer service over on the WERA board.

Custom Suit Opinions

Just get a Vanson and be done with it.

Mike 37

Custom Suit Opinions

Quote Originally Posted by mmracer37 View Post
    Just get a Vanson and be done with it.
    +1. you've seen how hard i've crashed with my vanson suit.

oh yeah, did i mention my suit is 11yrs old and has hit the pavement more than a few times? one of these days i should send it back to them to make it pretty again, but structurally it's still good

Last edited by smf; 07-27-07 at 04:15 PM.
    Scott
    1990 Honda Hawk NT700 (rebuilt?)
    2012 Ducati Streetfighter 848 (retarded fun)

Just Registered Crash Dummy Denno's Avatar

Custom Suit Opinions

i wouldn't do anything without a double zipper from what everyone tells me and how fun it is to get into my suits

Denno - CCS|LRRS EX#49
    2006 Yamaha R6
    LRRS Rookie of the Year 2008

Custom Suit Opinions

Vanson.

Custom Suit Opinions

When I finally get around to it... I think I'm going to go Syed.

2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

Custom Suit Opinions

I only know of Vanson and Syed as far as first hand knowledge, and I don't think you'll be unhappy with either one.

Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

Custom Suit Opinions

Vanson is going through chapter 11 or so i hear, their products are technically dated and over price. Not to mention they suck to deal with.

Fall River jobs another casualty of Bush’s war in Iraq | Rhode Island news | projo.com | The Providence Journal Mark Patinkin |

for 300 more then a vason you can get a dainese suhkoi. Which has the double zipper entry... ti shoulders, knees and elbows is made from only 5 pieces of cow and comes with a hard pack protector

Have you checked out the off the shelf MotoGP or Rev'it stuff that motomarket has?

Adobe Certified Expert, Photoshop CS4
    Adobe Certified Professional, Flash CS4

Custom Suit Opinions

i have no complaints about my Vanson. if you search around here there is another vanson thread that i posted up my customer service experience in. long story short, to make things right after a salesman error they took my off the rack suit back and gave me a full custom no additional costs. customer for life now.

LRRS EX #165 (formerly)

Fork oil in my veins.... gmdboston's Avatar

Custom Suit Opinions

All three have a very good rep. with the racers. I have worn Vanson for 20+ years now. They make a great suit, service is top shelf (as long as you realize they are a world wide company and getting any one particular suit finished or fixed is not the only priority they have that week) and after countless high sides, low sides, pit bike slides, endurance races, sprint races, rain races, hot, humid, tarmac melting, sweltering races, numerous track days and a broken collar bone, I have to say pay the money, wait it out and get the Vanson. They give me a discount, not free suits. I bought several suits at full retail before they gave me that discount too. I'm not paid or obligated to endorse their products. I just have several miles of pavement surfing in their suits. After all the nasty, easy, great drinking story crashes, I don't have one single scar from road rash. My advise is too pay the money and get the Vanson Leathers custom suit

"If you can't afford to do it right, how are you going to afford to do it over?"-PK
    Shop Services: Good, Fast, Cheap. Pick Two.

Custom Suit Opinions

Syed.

The guys who own it are former vanson guys and the suits are based on the same design, materials etc, except they are nice, cheaper, fix anything without giving you a hassle and get things done on time.

The vanson people absolutley hands down suck to deal with and you will regret dealing with them when the fahk your stuff up and then wont fix it for 2 months even though you paid in full up front.

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

Fork oil in my veins.... gmdboston's Avatar

Custom Suit Opinions

Quote Originally Posted by Manny View Post
    Syed.

The guys who own it are former vanson guys and the suits are based on the same design, materials etc, except they are nice, cheaper, fix anything without giving you a hassle and get things done on time.

The vanson people absolutley hands down suck to deal with and you will regret dealing with them when the fahk your stuff up and then wont fix it for 2 months even though you paid in full up front.

Not to stir the pot here, but (which means forget every thing I just said....) Masume Syed stitched my first suit when he was at Vanson in 1986. When he left several patterns went missing and the Syed suits did look a lot like the Vanson suits. Capitalism at it's best. That said, both Vanson and Syed Make great suits. Don't skimp. Buy the best.

"If you can't afford to do it right, how are you going to afford to do it over?"-PK
    Shop Services: Good, Fast, Cheap. Pick Two.

Custom Suit Opinions

Quote Originally Posted by gmdboston View Post
    Not to stir the pot here, but (which means forget every thing I just said....) Masume Syed stitched my first suit when he was at Vanson in 1986. When he left several patterns went missing and the Syed suits did look a lot like the Vanson suits. Capitalism at it's best. That said, both Vanson and Syed Make great suits. Don't skimp. Buy the best.
    Stir it all you like my man - ive got no financial interest in either.

I gotta come by the shop....hopefully soooon

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

Custom Suit Opinions

I never knew that Syed worked at Vanson first... interesting.

The two nice features of the SYED suits that I like are the elbows and butts. (not sure if they are also on Vanson's)

The elbows are 2 layers of leather, with the armor in between the layers... in a pocket. So even if you wear through the outer layer in a crash, you still have the armor plus another layer of leather. The outer layer can then be removed and replaced easily.

And the butt area is double leather also. Seeing as these are two areas that are often touching the ground in a crash... I like knowing they are double layers.

Once again, though... I don't think you will be unhappy with the quality of any of the suits mentioned. I haven't worked with Vanson or BB, so I can't comment on their customer service. SYED's has been good, but you have to stay on top of them if you're ordering during the busy season... late winter.

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Custom Suit Opinions

I have Barnacle Bill pants. He has also repaired my jacket. He does awesome work and Im very happy with my pants. I am seriously considering using him to make my one piece this winter. My only problem is that I need someone to measure me and I want it to be accurate. Other then that Id have no problem buying from him again.

James

I had a vanson suit first and burnt my ass in a turn one incedent, i have since gone to the syed with no problems.

Custom Suit Opinions

Ryan...check your PM's (re: tire warmers)!

Anyway...thanks for all the opinions. I'm not terribly surprised by the responses. After I posted I did a bunch of searching here and on a few other m/c sites. The first thing I confirmed was that all three companies turn out products that will last for quite a long time and provide the level of protection that we all look for. At least I know that my options are right on track. I read quite a bit on the WERA boards and found that those guys are about as passionate about this as you can get about this subject, and every time the question was asked these same three companies were at the top of the list. They also are supporting Komodo customs, but they are still a newer company (and now I'm sitting on a MotoGP with holes in it...I wasn't going to go that route again). Since Bill is in KY and supports the southern racers directly, his following with the WERA guys is like Vanson's up here. He also has taken quite a bit of time to personally post about his build process. Which was great to read. ANd the fact that his opinion regarding Vanson and Syed products are positive, tells me that I wasn't going to go wrong. Tony...he uses the same techniques that you mentioned...double layers in impact areas, triple stitched and glued, stitched from the inside, etc...

I've decide to go with Barnacle Bill.

Vanson was my front runner (even with the price) and if I could have gotten the Vanson quicker, they would have been my decision. Going there and having them measure me for the suit that they'll build is a huge plus. Also being able to bring it directly to them if there's a problem. However, I'm currently without a suit I trust, they're saying two months and more accounts than not say it'll probably take longer, so chances are slim I'd have it this season.

I also have to remember that we're most likely moving next year so regardless of which suit I'm in, repairs, support, etc will be mail order, not local to any of these companies.

Syed and BB were pretty much even other than timeline. I spoke with someone at Syed briefly and then I spoke with Bill extensively yesterday. I asked Syed about there time line and was told a month. I also asked about expediting it a little, even at extra cost and he really didn't answer the question. Bill said two weeks right off the bat, which means he can have the suit to me before the August races with all of the features that I want. I may have to go with a darker blue for part of the color, but that's not really a huge deal. I also really liked the fact that the person I talked to and answered my questions was the person would be physically making the suit.

I also wasn't able to find one bad post regarding his product or especially his customer service. For me it goes a long way when a manufacturer, especially for safety gear, can be around for as long as he has, can be a direct participant in the online, immediate gratification side of the community and can still maintain a reputation like that.

I sent him measurements and a drawing for colors, etc today. I'll keep this thread updated with my opinions of the process and the product when it comes in. Feel free to swing by 1a and check it out in August or to compare fit and finishes. It looks like between Scott, Ryan, and I , we'll have all three to look at side by side.

To answer Nef...I have a MotoGP suit right now. It fit me great off the rack, and for the price that I got it. I've had two, not really terrible lowsides (6 and 1a), and when I went to get it repaired, the leather lady told me that she wouldn't even take my money because the leather was rotted, and should wouldn't be able to stand behind her work. I thought it was just the stitches on the seams behind the legs that rubbed away and opened, but the leather actually tore off of where the seam comes together (seam was still intact). She was also able to tear the leather by hand, which she said shouldn't be able to be done. Allen at MotoMarket is trying to get a hold of the company to talk to them about it, but even they have to go through Tucker Rocky to get there. If anyone has a contact for MotoGP/Berik that they could pass on, I'd really appreciate it. I bought them because of the reputation they had as a new company, the price and the fit. I've had enough now and it'll be custom from here on out.

Brian
    LRRS/CCS EX #881
    WMRRA EX #281

Custom Suit Opinions

Good logic... and good decision. I'm sure it will all work out.

I would definitely be interested in checking out the suit.

I've compared my SYED suit to lots of others and have always felt the Syed superior for one reason or another. It sounds like the BB's will be about even.

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Custom Suit Opinions

Quote Originally Posted by 35racer View Post
    Good logic... and good decision. I'm sure it will all work out.

I would definitely be interested in checking out the suit.

I've compared my SYED suit to lots of others and have always felt the Syed superior for one reason or another. It sounds like the BB's will be about even.
    Ive had my BB stuff up at your track days Its very well built stuff. Ive been very happy with it.

If anyone wants to check it out I can leave it at the shop in Bellingham or you can just come by here on one of the weekends.

James

Custom Suit Opinions

Quote Originally Posted by union View Post
    Ive had my BB stuff up at your track days.
    Damn... wish I knew. Please remind me if you come up again.

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Custom Suit Opinions

Quote Originally Posted by 35racer View Post
    Damn... wish I knew. Please remind me if you come up again.
    Unfortunately I wont be making anymore trackdays this year. I just started a new job and I want to make it through a month or two before I start asking for days off I can send my pants I had made up with PK next time he goes up and you can take a look at them then.

James

Custom Suit Opinions

That's OK... I'm sure I'll see them sometime. I'm not in the market for any new leathers so it was really just for my own info.

Thanks though.

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

Custom Suit Opinions

dry rot huh??
    was it that wet day at pocono east ????
    I dont remember i fyou wore a rain suit.. i think you did but still got wet?
    did you dry your suit out right away??

hmmmm......

Custom Suit Opinions

I wore a rain suit during the heavy rain that weekend, but they did get wet. I did dry them out right away though, and they were always stored on a hangar out of direct sunlight and moisture. They also got a little wet during the races in April, but that's hardly the amount of rain some of these guys have ridden in and not had any problems. If 2.5 "wet" days in 2 seasons is enough to ruin one of their suits, I'd think they'd lose a lot of business if that became public knowledge.

Brian
    LRRS/CCS EX #881
    WMRRA EX #281

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast