Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112

No more HJC helmets at LRRS

Originally posted by SBT Deb
    what do I win if I beat him? $10 bucks that's it???
    I'll gladly give you $20. + a pearl necklace!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Front row in France: ARAI!

Nice meeting you today Allan, thx for showing me and explaining the various models.

Boston --> San Diego

No problem Alex! Actually, the pleasure was all mine! Cool conversation 'bout Red Bull and Jeff...very cool topics for me(big fan of both!)...

Not very many Ducaaaahhtees today - wonder if I scared 'em all away!?!

Sorry 'bout the France post everybody - I was watching it live on the internet and when it happened, I just had to! The funny thing is, I really don't get special treatment from Arai...I've been to the 200 a couple of times and had suite passes, but really no kickbacks - I'm just a huge fan...my girlfriend hit really hard last year with her brand new Arai in her second practice session and then using her spare later in the day went out to race and posted her fastest lap ever. But I immediately knew she was fine when I saw her fooling with the paramedics in the infirmary. Yea she only got in I think a track day and two practice sessions with her new $500 helmet, BUT to have her be herself right after impact was worth it and will be again if it happens again... I was even able to get my second session in with no worries!

Everybody to the limit!

Originally posted by Allan
    Someone asked for some pretty heavy data from Arai - I don't know if I can pull that rabbit out of a hat, but I'll put in a phone call and try...don't expect an immediate answer (I'm still waiting on an answer about parts from Kathy from a week ago).
    Perhaps heavy data is a bit much to ask for from a manufacturer (trade secrets and all) but I would be interested to hear from them whether they have found that shell construction has a significant influence on impact protection.

My understanding was that the purpose of the outer shell was to prevent penetratrion or abrasion from damaging the EPS liner, and that it provided little to no impact protection on it's own. And that in this regard a more flexible, plastic shell should actually be better as it would absorb more energy, transmitting less to the liner and through that, the rider's head.

However, I have heard some arguments that a rigid shell might disperse some of the impact energy from the point of contact, reducing the maximum force seen at the rider's head directly at the point of impact. Unfortunately, I haven't found any real data to support that claim, and I would be interested to see what Arai has to say about it.

If it does come out that a rigid fiberglass shell might help protect against blunt trauma, I might have to consider replacing my bicycle helmet, as it has a soft ABS plastic shell, not a rigid one. Not sure if they even make fiberglass bike helmets, but it's worth a look...

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112