Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

600 mi service requires 8.5 mi test ride?

2WT

600 mi service requires 8.5 mi test ride?

So I brought my bike to the shop on Friday morning to drop it off for a same day service. They specifically asked me if I would be picking the bike back up the same day and I stated yes. They made sure they had my phone numbers correct and said they would call me when it was done.

Being that I was not in a rush to get the bike back as I had plans for all day Friday I waited to see if they would call me. Closing time came and went and I had not received a call. First thing Saturday morning I called and they stated my bike was done sorry that no one had called me on Friday.

I went to Cycles128 to pick up my bike and immediately noticed a discrepancy in my mileage. I thought that when I dropped the bike off I had 775 miles on it but was not positive so I did not say anything. However upon pulling out of the dealer the mileage was at 784. When I got home I wanted to look at the paper they provided me that I thought would state everything they did to work on the bike but all it said was 600 mile service, what I did notice though is the drop-off mileage was 775.

I called the dealership and asked the guy if my bike had been taken out for a test-ride and he said that yes generally the bikes are taken out to make sure everything is ok with them. I asked how far they went with the bike and after being on hold he came back and said he talked to the tech and the tech said he went on a 5.4 mile test ride as that is how long their usual route is. I then asked why there was 8.5 miles put on the bike, they said they had no idea where the extra mileage came from but that his lead tech would not lie.

So my question is what is done on a 600 mile service that would warrant them riding the bike? Isn't it just an oil change, tightening of the bolts and maybe cleaning of the chain? I understand you have to warm a chain prior to cleaning and after applying the lube but do they not have machines for this in the shop?

Is this something people regularly experience? I am not too concerned about the 8.5 miles but I am highly concerned about someone I do not know gallivanting around on my bike.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

Re: 600 mi service requires 8.5 mi test ride?

Quote Originally Posted by jcrawford View Post
    I am highly concerned about someone I do not know gallivanting around on my bike.
    Probably need to think about gong to MMI and perform things yourself.

http://www.uti.edu/request-info/requ...tictl/location

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Yes, they do it all the time. I work almost next to cycles 128 and see them daily. Usually its just a trip down Brimbal Ave and turn around. Sometimes they get on 128N till the next exit and come back. I have never seen one of them driving like an ass in the 11 years Ive been there. Really, unless they scratch it, they aren't going to do anything worse to it then you will.

2WT

Quote Originally Posted by nt650hawk View Post
    Probably need to think about gong to MMI and perform things yourself.

http://www.uti.edu/request-info/requ...tictl/location
    funny! I don't have the time for that, just not sure this is even common practice for dealerships. If it is I am not concerned too much because if they dump it they are responsible but what if they hammer on it and cause internal damage, kinda hard for me to prove it was them.

2WT

Quote Originally Posted by idratherberidin View Post
    Yes, they do it all the time. I work almost next to cycles 128 and see them daily. Usually its just a trip down Brimbal Ave and turn around. Sometimes they get on 128N till the next exit and come back. I have never seen one of them driving like an ass in the 11 years Ive been there. Really, unless they scratch it, they aren't going to do anything worse to it then you will.
    thanks for that, you never know which is why I had to ask

I'd rather have the tech take my bike for a test ride than have him give the bike back untested. If they forgot to tighten up the brakes or torque the drain plug they are the ones to find out and they get to face the consequences. I'm sure the tech knows that if they dump the bike it means their job so why screw around?

LRRS EX #7
    Low Down Racing
    - Woodcraft - Armour Bodies - Computrack Boston - Lifeproof -

I went to Cycles128.......
    Well that's your problem right there!

funny! I don't have the time for that, just not sure this is even common practice for dealerships. If it is I am not concerned too much because if they dump it they are responsible but what if they hammer on it and cause internal damage, kinda hard for me to prove it was them.
    your thinking way to hard. Honestly its no big deal at all. I was a motorcyle tech for a few months and now I work on Audi's. We need to test drive shit to make sure everything is all good. expecially after we work on your bike. keep in mind everytime a tech takes your bike out his job might be on the line if he dumps it.

And unless hes doing rolling burnouts at rev limiter for that entire 8 miles he wont cause internal damage. . . . . youve never done a track day have you?

www.bostonmoto.com
    2009 Zx-6r--17,680 miles and counting!!
    2008 ZZR600 - - - 10,268 miles totaled
    Ride to live, live to ride

Hammer on it?! That thing was BUILT to rev to the moon...unless they take it for a ride with no fluids in it at all you can count on there never being any internal damage.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

I just picked up my bike this past weekend from a recall and it logged 21 miles during our time apart. Doesn't really bother me.

The bike I put together for the b-in-law i put on 45 miles just to make sure everythign was good. Highways back roads. I ended up doing a couple of adjustment and then handed it over.

It is just good business to make sure everything is all set before handing it over to the customer.

Gino
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

The bike I put together for the b-in-law i put on 45 miles just to make sure everythign was good. Highways back roads.
    7 point checkout:

0-60 time, 1/4 mile speed, wheelies, stoppies, burnouts, what were the other two?

Quote Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
    7 point checkout:

0-60 time, 1/4 mile speed, wheelies, stoppies, burnouts, what were the other two?
    Flat out test run.
    &
    Girl attraction. that one failed because I was by the bike.

Gino

Quote Originally Posted by KawiSmurf View Post

Good to know considering the girl looking at you by your brother-in-laws bike would be your SISTER!

Flat out test run.
    &
    Were you wearing the Gino shirt? Cause if not, theres your problem.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

have you ever brought your car to a shop for service? did they ever test drive it after performing the work to make sure everything seems ok?

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

Lifer

I agree. 8.5 miles is not all that long. Now if they held the bike for a weekend and laid 50 miles on it, that's another thing. Doesn't seem to be the case here though.

If you really don't trust those mechanics, you'd best learn to DIY.

2WT

I was just not sure if it was common practice to test ride a bike like that I mean sure they do it with cars but you can't just assume they do it with bikes.

As stated above I am not too concerned with the 8.5 miles what concerned me was the fact that they did not tell me before hand, nor do I know who was riding the bike.

I am new to riding (2nd year) so I am not familiar with all the in/out's of this stuff which is why I was asking. If it's common practice I am not worried at all.

when u bring any vehicle in for service Bike or car by giving them consent service your vehicle your giving them consent to test drive. its done to make sure everything was done properly. mechanics are human so its good to test ride and make sure everything is ok.

www.bostonmoto.com
    2009 Zx-6r--17,680 miles and counting!!
    2008 ZZR600 - - - 10,268 miles totaled
    Ride to live, live to ride

I am new to riding (2nd year) so I am not familiar with all the in/out's of this stuff which is why I was asking. If it's common practice I am not worried at all.
    May I suggest you throw a leg over that thing and ride it. 600 miles in 2 years. Probably more harm in that with just letting the oil sit in the bike for that long.

What is funny, (numbers person here) is the service person put 1.4 % of the miles on your bike.

Gino

In both dealerships that I've worked at the service tech doing any work is required to test ride the bike after the work is performed. The test ride consists of a standard route that they always take.

CCS/LRRS/NEMM AM #205 (Inactive)

May I suggest you throw a leg over that thing and ride it. 600 miles in 2 years. Probably more harm in that with just letting the oil sit in the bike for that long.
    I think I remember jcrawford saying this was his 2nd bike....first one got stolen? So I am assuming he was racked up those 600 miles within the past few months...might be wrong though.

And I can see where you are coming from J, especially with Cycles128 I would be suspicious. But like everyone said probably have to give them the benefit of the doubt that they were just making sure everything was running smoothly.

2WT

What is funny, (numbers person here) is the service person put 1.4 % of the miles on your bike.
    I never stated this was my first bike. I bought it less than a month ago and have over 800 miles already so hrmph

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast