Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

brake light not coming off

brake light not coming off

bike is a 2004 suzuki GSX-R600. Think its vortex adjustable rear sets and some adjustable levers.
    so for some reason my brake light wont turn off. It always looks like im braking.
    buy anyway, i think its because of the rear break just because im having issues with just pushing down on it so the breaks engage. What things do i have to adjust/check that affect when that brake light turns on/off?

heres a pic of the rear brake.

when did this start to happen? no idea. i havent had the bike in a couple years.

thanks

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Re: brake light not coming off

I agree, it's more likely the rear switch. It'll be the only thing with a pair of wires connected to it in the brake pedal mechanism. It's adjustable and likely just has too much initial tension, so try shortening the distance between it and the part that pulls on it. If that does not work, ensure the problem is really not in the front switch and replace replace the rear switch, they do go bad and act as you've described.

The rear switch is part# 37740-31D00 and it's only about 20 bucks new.

This is what it looks like.

I don't even see wires going anywhere near the rear set in that pic. I do know usually factory switches don't work with aftermarket rear sets, as there's no place to mount it. I'd look for the wiring that's supposed to go to the brake switch and make sure it's not damaged, or that maybe the factory switch isn't still plugged in and just not mounted to anything.

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Baker View Post
    I don't even see wires going anywhere near the rear set in that pic.

I can't see it either. I figured it was just behind something.

Why is there a spring connected at the front of the brake lever? That spring usually goes to the rear switch as the pedal is pushed down the spring pulls the switch down activating the tail light. So it doesn't make sense that the light would be staying on if the switch wasn't connected. Check up in the tail to find the wires coming from the tail light to the switch.

2011 ducati 848 evo
    2007 gsxr 1000 totaled
    2003 cbr 954 sold
    2001 cbr 929 sold
    2003 rc 51 stolen
    1993 cbr 1000 gave to a friend
    1990 cbr 600 blew the motor

yeah i was looking didnt even see wires tucked away or anything, so im assuming some one removed them.

So do i have to buy the vortex brake light switch? and a stock one too? because i have no stock pieces of it hanging around.

Well start with taking off that spring.Never heard you needed a new switch after you bought rearsets. So maybe just get the stock one and try and mount it.

Last edited by Dukaki848; 02-05-12 at 11:13 AM.
    2011 ducati 848 evo
    2007 gsxr 1000 totaled
    2003 cbr 954 sold
    2001 cbr 929 sold
    2003 rc 51 stolen
    1993 cbr 1000 gave to a friend
    1990 cbr 600 blew the motor

Lifer
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-us; DROIDX Build/4.5.1_57_DX5-35) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Vortex switch goes in where the brake line is..and I didnt see yours either unless someone got creative.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Baker View Post
    I don't even see wires going anywhere near the rear set in that pic. I do know usually factory switches don't work with aftermarket rear sets, as there's no place to mount it. I'd look for the wiring that's supposed to go to the brake switch and make sure it's not damaged, or that maybe the factory switch isn't still plugged in and just not mounted to anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by stoinkythepig View Post
    I can't see it either. I figured it was just behind something.
    I have Vortex rearsets on my CBR. Maybe they're different on GSXRs, but my rear brake has a pressure switch that's located on top the the banjo bolt for the rear brake line. In the photo below you can see a banjo bolt for the steel brake line and the switch bolted on top of that with wiring going up under the seat.

The stock setup is a switch like stoinkythepig posted, but for my bike the stock switch is removed and replaced with the Vortex sealed pressure switch. There's no place to mount the stock switch on the Vortex rearsets. The Vortex switch doesn't come with the rearsets and it's not adjustable. It's $22 at kneedraggers but I'm sure you can get it elsewhere. It looks like this:

There should be wiring going from the master cylinder to a connector for the brake light. The connector is probably under the seat. If there's no wiring from the master cylinder, then check for a connector that either has nothing plugged into it or has a jumper plugged into it. The wiring colors are probably the same as the colors in the stoinkythepig photo (red/white?). Look at the length of the wiring in the photo, about 1 foot - the other connector will be about that distance from the master cylinder or the location of the stock footpegs. The two-pin connector might be open, or it might have a jumper in it. It's hard to say exactly what to look for without a schematic (or the bike). Adding the Vortex switch will probably fix the problem. You will need to bleed the brakes to add the switch but that's not hard to do.

DanG
    People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive.
    - Blaise Pascal

I had to use a pressure switch with my Sato's. Also with my Brembo front master.