Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Catastrophic chain failure...

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Since I have never worn a chain out before, I have no clue what a failure of a chain entails. I have had to adjust the tension on my chain twice this week and it's a bit noisey so I am pretty sure it's nearly dead. Is it about to fly apart in a ball of flames or will it just keep getting noisier and stretched until I can't stand using the bike? I have a 50 mile ride home and am curious if I should baby the thing all the way or not. It went from perfectly tensioned to very loose on the way to work today.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

well if it snaps, they have been known to take out engine cases.

I'm going to baby it home...

....................... PinHead's Avatar

I just went through the same thing. My master link bearing acually broke off on the ride home.

2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    2003 Harley Softail Deuce

Got it home. Sound got got progressively nastier the further I went. It was emabrrasing to ride by pedestrians, it was making such a racket.

had 1 go bad on the way home from the track

on the ninja it sux
    glad ya made it ok dave

www.bostonmoto.com

Forum Rules
    Heres a condom. I figured since youre acting like a dick, you should dress like one too.

Took my shaft drive bike to work today. Gotta admit, it's a whole lot less worrisome, cheaper and trouble free than a chain.

Put the new chain and sprockets on last night. Easy work. Gotta love air tools. Can't believe how smooth the bike feels on the road. Guess I got used to the worn out chain. Feels new again.

Thanks Jeff! Tool worked slickly.

Last edited by stoinkythepig; 05-28-04 at 12:40 PM.

NOT laughing with you {~; bemused's Avatar

WWSD? (what would Sneakers do?)
    "for every credibility gap, there is a gullibility fill"
    jeff f
    '97 RF900R

Originally posted by stoinkythepig
    Took my shaft drive bike to work today. Gotta admit, it's a whole lot less worrisome, cheaper and trouble free than a chain.
    Yup, and when the shaft drive gets worn, and the splines get grooved, its time to throw away the bike instead of the chain/sprockets

AND YOU CAN'T RIDE A WHEELIE!

Heh, sorry, chain's are easier in my book... Never wouldn't be long enough for me between doing spline lubes!

But when we ride very fast motorcycles, we ride with immaculate sanity. We might abuse a substance here and there, but only when it's right. The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body. It is that simple: If you ride fast and crash, you are a bad rider. If you go slow and crash, you are a bad rider. And if you are a bad rider, you should not ride motorcycles.

Originally posted by hohum
    Yup, and when the shaft drive gets worn, and the splines get grooved, its time to throw away the bike instead of the chain/sprockets

AND YOU CAN'T RIDE A WHEELIE!

Heh, sorry, chain's are easier in my book... Never wouldn't be long enough for me between doing spline lubes!
    OR...

I can just take my perfectly good spare final drive, drive shaft and splined coupler off the shelf in my garage and bolt them on in about 30 minutes... Conk is really easy to work on. The parts came off a parts bike that I profited $800+ from AFTER keeping the engine, two good tires and a bunch of other little stuff for my own use. Wheelies are possible but have never been a priority for the kind of guy (me) that occasionally rides an 18 year old touring bike... That said, the chain on my 9R was wicked easy.

forgot to add that the original final drive etc. is still perfect after 96,000 miles...

Originally posted by stoinkythepig
    forgot to add that the original final drive etc. is still perfect after 96,000 miles...
    The only shaft driven bike I have had (1985 BMW K100RS) was a BEEEOTCH to do a spline lube on... 3 - 4 hour job, ez... To do it right (lubing both final drive splines and transmission splines) involved removing everything from the final drive back (rear suspension, the works), and sliding the entire transmission forward to get at the internal splines that mated the transmission to the clutch/flywheel housing... No ez feat unless you know the tricks...

Final drives can last way longer then 100,000 miles though with proper maintenance... My friend who has a K100RS of the same year as mine, now has 215,000 miles on the original final drive and shaft of his bike, but he has to do the spline lube every 15K miles, which is basically once a year for him... 4 hours labor, once a year.. and usually I am doing it for him

Shaft driven bikes are great for longevity, no doubt about that, but when you just wanna go out and ride, and its the choice of lubing (or even replacing the chain/sprockets), or doing a spline lube, I'd choose chain drive any day... Maybe I am just lazy...

And I was kidding about the wheelies... those days are long behind me... mostly... still you can't deny riding a wheelie on a shaft drive bike any distance is no small feat...

Cheers,
    Chris

But when we ride very fast motorcycles, we ride with immaculate sanity. We might abuse a substance here and there, but only when it's right. The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body. It is that simple: If you ride fast and crash, you are a bad rider. If you go slow and crash, you are a bad rider. And if you are a bad rider, you should not ride motorcycles.

There's another reason not to own a Bike Made Weird, besides the absurd price, unreliable transmissions and lackluster performance. Whoda thunk it? That said, BMWs do have great ergos, weather protection and seats.

Doing the splines is easy on a Conk. The front splines are enormous and never need re-greasing but are not hard to get to anyway. The rear splines can be accessed in 10 minutes if you know what you are doing. 20, if you've never done it before. Gotta take the rear wheel off to get to them, so I just do them at every tire change.