Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ducati Maintenance/reliability questions

Question Ducati Maintenance/reliability questions

I ONLY WANT ACTUAL DUC OWNERS TO RESPOND.
    That or you have to have something OBJECTIVE to add like a personal story, etc.

I am considering trading in my '07 VFR for a 848 or a 1098, I heard nightmare stories about older Ducati's as far as maintenance, developing leaks, electronics problems go. I want REAL data here, on the 2007 and up models is the maintenance really cheaper? Is this thing going to last 50K+ miles? Am I going to curse the day I traded my beloved VFR?

I've heard all about the legendary performance, now I want to hear actual reports of what its like to OWN one of these from a practical standpoint.

Any help would be cool. Thanks for the input.

[as an aside, are there any big drawbacks/benefits to a wet or dry clutch? the 848 is wet, 1098 dry...]

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by NeverlosT; 09-05-08 at 09:17 PM.
    Don't Fake the funk on a nasty dunk.

NEW STREET/TRACK: 2007.5 Aprilia Tuono
    STREET/TRACK: '08 CBR600RR (SOLD)
    '07 VFR800 (SOLD)

Re: Ducati Maintenance/reliability questions

Quote Originally Posted by NeverlosT View Post
    I ONLY WANT ACTUAL DUC OWNERS TO RESPOND.
    That or you have to have something OBJECTIVE to add like a personal story, etc.

I am considering trading in my '07 VFR for a 848 or a 1098, I heard nightmare stories about older Ducati's as far as maintenance, developing leaks, electronics problems go. I want REAL data here, on the 2007 and up models is the maintenance really cheaper? Is this thing going to last 50K+ miles? Am I going to curse the day I traded my beloved VFR?

I've heard all about the legendary performance, now I want to hear actual reports of what its like to OWN one of these from a practical standpoint.

Any help would be cool. Thanks for the input.

[as an aside, are there any big drawbacks/benefits to a wet or dry clutch? the 848 is wet, 1098 dry...]

I have owned my 2007 for 8 years now. No real issues that I can remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    I have owned my 2007 for 8 years now. No real issues that I can remember.
    Cris Angel would be jealous of that trick!

They are expensive to maintain. If you maintain them and stay on top of things you usually wont have any problems. The newer bikes do have longer maintenance intervals, so you spend less. I don't know many people w/ over 50k on their bikes, but my uncle has 40+k on his 03 ss1000ds and it runs like a beast! The dry clutch IS Ducati. They are an absolute pleasure to ride, when you can RIDE them, the way they are meant to be ridden... Stop and go SUCKS unless you change the gearing.

My experience so far hasn't been all that great. less than 2500 miles and the regulator is gone, takes ducati a couple weeks to order, and I can't get in for service for 3 weeks. They won't let me replace it myself and still cover the part under the warranty.

It still may be worth it though

LRRS #831 Novice
    2007 Ducati 1098 - Street (okay, sometimes track)
    2002 Suzuki sv650 - Pure track!
    2007 Suzuki sv650 - Next seasons track bike
    http://www.myspace.com/spydah77

I have only had Supersports until recently. (Just got a 2002 998)

I did most of my own work (to include engine removal, belt changes, valve adjustments, etc) Not hard to work on at all and as long as you keep up on it, no worries.

I ALWAYS hear how expensive Ducati's are and I have not seen that. I spent just as much on a tune up at BCM than I did at my local dealer when I had my ZX-7.

As for the Superbike... I hear it is less maintenance. I have yet to have to do anything to it.

I HAVE heard that the 1098/848 is having some electrical problems...

FYI. The Duc will NEVER be as comfortable or reliable as your VFR.

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

I've got 20K on my 07 ST3s. We have had a couple of issues but nothing that is close to making me want anything else. I just came back from a 1600 mi Canadian maritime romp - I'd go back in a minute after an oil change and tire pressure check. I would ride one first and let your heart decide. If it's about logic - keep the Honda.

Last edited by LV4me; 09-06-08 at 06:32 AM. Reason: spelling

My 95 916 is a money pit, but what do you expect from a bike that old.

I've had the typical electrical problems that plague Ducati superbikes, but luckily (knock on wood) I haven't had the problem with flaking rockers.

As for comparing the costs to Japanese bikes... my ZX 7R in comparison has been maintenance free.

2003 ZX7R
    1995 916

I had a 04 Supersport, here is what the services cost me

600 mile $350.00
    6,000 mile $426.00
    12,000 mile $690.00
    18,000 mile $520.00
    24,000 mile Traded it in at 23,600 miles

I loved that bike, it was the 17th bike I owned in 25 years and by far my fav to own and ride. I miss her

Just had my 07 Multistrada serviced at Gengras in CT. which is now done every 7,500 instead of 6,000 miles. Cost was $780.00. The estimate for the 15,000 service is $1015.00 They still say if I own this new bike for 60,000 miles it will be cheaper to maintain, but the numbers just don't add up.

I haven't had any real mechanical problems with my 748 yet. The only real problem I have had with it is the steering bearing is loose, happened when I hit the coyote. Aside from that it has been more reliable than my friends Honda that was made the same year and his has less miles on it.

Unofficial self proclaimed official NESR plumber.

"Ah shit son, datz be a Ducati!"-Random kid in Methuen.

I bought my first Ducati this year, the 2008 848, and my experiance has been great!

I have 5000 miles on the bike so far and not a single issue (know on wood).

I've taken the bike through its paces too from daily commuting, quick street rides, to beating the shit out of it at the track.

The schedule for service is very light compared to the older ducati's. 600 mile service, then the next one is at 7500 (valve check, etc).

I am able to do the oil changes myself, etc;.

Quote Originally Posted by OSJ View Post
    I had a 04 Supersport, here is what the services cost me

600 mile $350.00
    6,000 mile $426.00
    12,000 mile $690.00
    18,000 mile $520.00
    24,000 mile Traded it in at 23,600 miles

I loved that bike, it was the 17th bike I owned in 25 years and by far my fav to own and ride. I miss her

Just had my 07 Multistrada serviced at Gengras in CT. which is now done every 7,500 instead of 6,000 miles. Cost was $780.00. The estimate for the 15,000 service is $1015.00 They still say if I own this new bike for 60,000 miles it will be cheaper to maintain, but the numbers just don't add up.
    Where are you getting service done?! You're getting ripped a new one, royally.

I've got a 2004 ST3. First year of the ST3, only issue, mine is an early one in the first run, Ducati tried a new hair spring for the exhaust valves and it was no good, so my low rpm/low throttle input riding was a lil rougher than it should have been. Dealt with under warranty, and all has been good since. Mine is pre 7500mi service interval officially, from those I've talked to if I wanted to go to a 12k service interval (other than oil changes of course, I do those every 3k religiously) the bike would be fine. Typical Duc is you might have to actually change a shim or two at 12k, and after that the valves don't move, all you're doing is verifying clearance.

I've worked on other bikes, it's easier to check valve clearance on most Ducs than it is bikes like say, the current VFRs that require dropping the motor... I've not seen electrical problems be that much of a issue on the newer Ducs either.

I don't have a garage, so I can't deal with flakey bikes, I don't have the space to fix them constantly. That said, I'm trying to track down a first gen Duc SBK (851) and I don't have any worries about reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    I'm trying to track down a first gen Duc SBK (851) and I don't have any worries about reliability.
    If you give up looking for a 851 I know where a mint 1993 888 is. It's blue with front and rear white number plate, no numbers on them. Not sure of the mileage but they are asking $9,300.

Ooooh, nice. Right now I've got a bike in mind, just gotta be patient. (Never should have hesitated on the SPO Jay Root beat me to... not going to make that mistake again.)

i have a 2007 s2r1000 i am at 17000 miles and i have only done oil changes, tires, and routine maintenance.. that has been a check over a few time and at 12000 miles they replaced the belts, chain and rear sprocket no valve adjustment needed. the only other thing is a shifter sring broke but that was a warranty fix in 1/2 a day.
    I love my bike and if i could afford another new bike i would add an 848 or 1098 in a breath..
    but i will be assembling a supersport for racing instead.

comparing the old ducati maintenance is like saying triumphs have bad electrical.. old news, not true with the new bikes.

Seth
    LRRS/CCS NV #256

2007 Ducati S2R1000 Street
    2000 Triumph TT600 Track For Sale
    1984 Honda Magna needing reassembly.
    1974 Honda CB 750 needs wiring
    1974 Honda CB 350 needs engine work

Ooooh, nice. Right now I've got a bike in mind, just gotta be patient. (Never should have hesitated on the SPO Jay Root beat me to... not going to make that mistake again.)
    They've had it for a while, must be close to a year now. They used to have another one and a red 851. Seemed like those were there forever before someone finally bought them. I looked at it a few months ago and couldn't find a scratch on it but I wasn't going over it with a magnify glass either.

OSJ: I did a lil digging around, call Ducati North America and let them know what you're being charged for routine maint. Ducati Corporate is requiring dealers to charge a set price now as part of trying to eliminate the myth that Ducs are expensive to maintain, they'll wanna know one of their dealers is gouging big time.

OSJ: I did a lil digging around, call Ducati North America and let them know what you're being charged for routine maint. Ducati Corporate is requiring dealers to charge a set price now as part of trying to eliminate the myth that Ducs are expensive to maintain, they'll wanna know one of their dealers is gouging big time.
    Can you pass on some info to me?

I had a long conservation with several people at Gengras which is in East Hartford CT about this issue. Those prices come right from their computer ( I saw it myself ) I would love to be able to talk with someone else about this.

My supersport never had a problem, It ran perfectly. I was a little shocked about the maintenance prices at that time as well. I bought that one at Naults and had them do most of the service( they are no longer in business) Dunbar Euro sports did the last 2 services on that bike. I do my own oil changes in between the recommended services.

While the bike is under warranty I feel its important to do what the Manufacture recommends. That way they cant come back and not cover something by saying I didnt do what they recommend

Quote Originally Posted by OSJ View Post
    Can you pass on some info to me?

I had a long conservation with several people at Gengras which is in East Hartford CT about this issue. Those prices come right from their computer ( I saw it myself ) I would love to be able to talk with someone else about this.

My supersport never had a problem, It ran perfectly. I was a little shocked about the maintenance prices at that time as well. I bought that one at Naults and had them do most of the service( they are no longer in business) Dunbar Euro sports did the last 2 services on that bike. I do my own oil changes in between the recommended services.

While the bike is under warranty I feel its important to do what the Manufacture recommends. That way they cant come back and not cover something by saying I didnt do what they recommend
    Call a couple different dealerships and get some comparison quotes. Moto Milano in Maine and BCM Ducati in NH are the two in the area I know off the top of my head.

I'd be curious what Dunbar thinks is supposed to be done at 15k to cost over $1k. I don't think I've heard a full service quote, with belts over $400?

2007+ service isn't cheaper. dealers will charge the same hours and the same horuly rate for every service but DNA is extending the time in between services, i.e 8k, 14k, etc, and 3-4 years for belts...

Quote Originally Posted by dwaltz61 View Post
    2007+ service isn't cheaper. dealers will charge the same hours and the same horuly rate for every service but DNA is extending the time in between services, i.e 8k, 14k, etc, and 3-4 years for belts...
    It is more than just extending the time between service.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducati.com
    50% LESS MAINTENANCE COST ON EVERY 2008 DUCATI
    We are proud to announce that all 2008 Ducati models require less frequent service, fewer parts and less labour during each service and, as a result, greatly reduced scheduled maintenance costs – by as much as 50%*.

Reducing the cost of service when you visit your Ducati dealer for maintenance is one way to measure the new quality of Ducati. It also contributes immensely to making the Ducati ownership experience as satisfying as the Ducati riding experience.

Research and development is the number one investment at the Ducati factory. This investment in performance and quality includes our factory processes, machinery and the people who build each Ducati. By ‘engineering-in’ quality through design, materials and testing, every Ducati owner will enjoy significant and quantifiable improvements in every Ducati motorcycle.

To a rider, the best measure of quality is by the riding experience. You can feel a new smoothness to the legendary Ducati L-Twin, a more progressive nature to the powerful brakes and more confident road holding in every turn. Reliability and quality – one ride is all the proof you will need.

*All 2007 model onwards. See your Ducati dealer for details.

Quote Originally Posted by dwaltz61 View Post
    Actually, in addition to the overall interval change, what's required at each maint has been reduced, prices on some parts has been lowered (although the weak dollar has washed most of that away) and some portions of the labor costs have been fixed to prevent dealers from getting excessive.

Actually, in addition to the overall interval change, what's required at each maint has been reduced, prices on some parts has been lowered (although the weak dollar has washed most of that away) and some portions of the labor costs have been fixed to prevent dealers from getting excessive.
    i heard that the prices have been lowered, but alot of the parts have the same #'s as the 749/999 so i don't see how they reduce those prices...i have heard some mixed opinions on the reduced service costs from my dealer.

The price was lowered for the parts, so what used to cost say $10 now costs $8, same part number.

Call a couple different dealerships and get some comparison quotes. Moto Milano in Maine and BCM Ducati in NH are the two in the area I know off the top of my head.

I'd be curious what Dunbar thinks is supposed to be done at 15k to cost over $1k. I don't think I've heard a full service quote, with belts over $400?
    I called Dunbar & Wagner and was quoted little over $650 for the 7500 mile service. A guy on Multistrada.net paid $690 at BCM for the exact same service.

It was Gengras that quoted the $1k for the 15,000 service.

I bought the bike from Gengras and had major issues with them, this was the last straw and will not be back.

This is the details I got on the service cost between the "new" ducati's and the old. Ducati recommends doing less at each service, thus reducing the time the bike is on the bench and stretches them out to 7,500 vs 6,000 miles. However dealers like BCM do not recommend skipping the items on the list Ducati claims doesn't need to be done anymore. There for the cost of the service is the same, but you do save a little over the time you own the bike because of the 7,500 mile intervals.

I think its a scam and my wife wants me to hire an attorney to start a class action suit against Ducati because of false advertising.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast