Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

New fork oil seals popped out???

New fork oil seals popped out???

93 Kawasaki KDX 250 dirt bike with an inverted fork...just replaced the oil seals on the front fork, I followed the instructions well and everything seamed to be good until I was riding it today.

I used the proper adjusting tool to set the fluid level, made sure the air was purged out. I was able to drive the seals into place and put the retainer ring in place before putting the dust seal on. All the fluid stayed in and the fork seamed to function properly.

Then I was riding for about half an hour or so, nothing crazy, hit some jumps but nothing huge, then I stopped a little later and noticed the dust seal was near the bottom of the fork, the retainer ring was half popped out and the seal was half out and fluid was seeping through.

Any thoughts? I have a few...

Didn't touch the compression damping adjustment screw, but maybe I need to change the setting?

When I put the oil in and purged the shock, maybe I went to high with the outer tube and it took more oil than I thought?

Maybe I need to adjust the air pressure screw on top?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for such a long post, just trying to give all the facts. Thanks.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66
    Thank you to my sponsors: Sidi / AMSOIL / Klutch Industries

Banned
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.508 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Did you check the oil level with the springs in?

Re: New fork oil seals popped out???

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.508 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Did you check the oil level with the springs in?
    Nope. Instruction said to put new seals in, pour oil in so it covers the two holes on the side near the top of the tube, purge the fork push rod five times, then pump the outer tube up and down. Keep the fluid above the two holes, then with the push rod and outer tube all the way down, put the oil level gauge in to the set depth (95 mm with a range of 80-130mm) which I set to 100mm and draw out the extra fluid.

I did all this, but I might have pulled the outer tube too high up and drew extra fluid into the fork. Would that cause the seal to blow out? I'm 6'2" AND weigh 220, so not sure if there should be more or less than the standard due to that. Also, thought maybe it had something to do with one of the adjusters on the tubes not being set to my weight?

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66

Banned

Doubt if its an adjuster. I would ask gmd this question in the suspension area of the forums.

Oh, forgot to mention that it said to check the oil level with the spring out.

LRRS/CCS #66

All set. Thanks.

LRRS/CCS #66

Quote Originally Posted by sdog30 View Post
    All set. Thanks.
    what was the problem? I had the same problem before.. said screw it and took it to GMD lol.

The best advice I’ve ever been given is to not forget where you came from.

Quote Originally Posted by The Magician View Post
    what was the problem? I had the same problem before.. said screw it and took it to GMD lol.
    It could have been three things:

1) I didn't drive the first bushing in well enough due to incorrectly using my make shift seal driver and I used it better the second time. (not very likely since the seal was in far enough to get the clip in)

2) I inadvertently put too much oil in by purging the air in the outer tube the wrong way. I pulled it up pretty high and did the several times, the manual said that you could add 30mm of fluid on top of the reading by moving the outer tube all the way up. I didn't think I had done that, someone suggested that too much fluid can blow the seals. Also watched a different video on You Tube and the guy said to only raise the outer tube about 6 inches once or twice. I also set the fluid level to the suggested 95mm instead of the 100mm I had initially set it.

3) I adjusted the valves to make the shocks softer. I think the previous owner had them set pretty hard, but weighed alot less than me, so I went to 13 clicks.

Not sure which of these three things helped the most, but I'd wager on the fact that I had too much fluid in the shock and it was set pretty stiff. Definitely did some extensive "testing" of the set-up for about an hour and a half yesterday with the seals staying intacted and not leaking, so YEAH ME.

LRRS/CCS #66