Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Out of hibernation

Out of hibernation

everything Ive read says to change the oil, even if never used, after the winter. The oil picks up sediment and other junk over the winter.

Which is why you put cheap stuff in when you winterize

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Out of hibernation

I don't winterize.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

Out of hibernation

Originally posted by katana0215
    everything Ive read says to change the oil, even if never used, after the winter. The oil picks up sediment and other junk over the winter.

Which is why you put cheap stuff in when you winterize
    i've heard the same to. i just feel that four months without even running it except to get your fuel stable circulated isn't going to hurt anything. if anything settled into your sump it would be filtered out at start up with a good filter. if i was storing the bike for a year or more i would change it out before start up maybe, depends on the climate i stored it in. if i did store it that long i would also pull the plugs and prim the moter first.

Out of hibernation

Make sure you REALLY check your tire pressure. Mine "felt" fine from touch, but when I checked it, my tires were at around 20psi.

I just had my battery inside plugged to a tender all winter, the oil was changed before putting it away, threw some stabil in, and never touched the bike until I rode it last weekend. Started right up.

Near the end of my ride last Sunday(probably only 20-30 miles or so), it sputtered for a few seconds and the FI light came on. Hopefully it was just from sitting.

"It is important never to forget where u all came from — becoz black, white, brown or pakistani we all come from de same place — de punani."
    -Ali G

Triumph Daytona 675 SE

Out of hibernation

Originally posted by slaps76
    Make sure you REALLY check your tire pressure. Mine "felt" fine from touch, but when I checked it, my tires were at around 20psi.

I just had my battery inside plugged to a tender all winter, the oil was changed before putting it away, threw some stabil in, and never touched the bike until I rode it last weekend. Started right up.

Near the end of my ride last Sunday(probably only 20-30 miles or so), it sputtered for a few seconds and the FI light came on. Hopefully it was just from sitting.

stabil will make it run a little rough that maybe why your light came on. add some fresh gas and it should be fine. it is after all a vfr

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Out of hibernation

When you change your oil, be sure to get new oil. Stores like to put the old oil toward the front of the shelf so it will sell first. Look for the newest "sell by" date, not unlike milk shopping. You don't want sour oil! You also want oil that is cold filtered and shipped cold, Mark Harmon advertised oil is the best. You should change the oil before and after every ride and if the bike is going to sit for more than 20 minutes. A bottle of Mallox in the crankcase will stop acid buildup before it can really get started. I put three Tums in my fuel with every tankful of gas too unless Rolaids are available, but never the fruity flavored ones, they'll clog your jets with acid reflux in no time.

Out of hibernation

Originally posted by stoinkythepig
    When you change your oil, be sure to get new oil. Stores like to put the old oil toward the front of the shelf so it will sell first. Look for the newest "sell by" date, not unlike milk shopping. You don't want sour oil! You also want oil that is cold filtered and shipped cold, Mark Harmon advertised oil is the best. You should change the oil before and after every ride and if the bike is going to sit for more than 20 minutes. A bottle of Mallox in the crankcase will stop acid buildup before it can really get started. I put three Tums in my fuel with every tankful of gas too unless Rolaids are available, but never the fruity flavored ones, they'll clog your jets with acid reflux in no time.

--HBerry

LRRS# 285 - Retired
    04 ZX-6R
    88 EX500 - Broke

Out of hibernation

Your supposed to change the oil???

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

Out of hibernation

well..I rode today....and I checked the oil and the tire pressure...

And then I had a nice ride..and now I'll change the oil....

I was kinda suprised...It started right up, and its been sitting since Oct.

" It's never too late to be what you might have been." George Eliot

Out of hibernation

ok my opinon is to DEFINATELY change the oil before you store it, you dont want dirty acidic oil eating away at your engines internals.

Change it again when you take it out of storage. Now you ask why should I change it again since I never used the oil? Well you all know that you're suppose to change oil at the standard 3000 mile mark OR if you dont reach 3000 miles after the 3 month mark change it as well. After 3 months oil will collect a decent amount of moisture in it, so even though you might have never fired up the bike and the oil is perfectly clean, there's moisture in it.

Cmon guys were talkin 20 bucks here!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12