Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Super low mileage, concerns?

Super low mileage, concerns?

I found a 2006 Honda 600RR. It incurred some damage when it moved out to MA from Cali with it's owner. It was completely repaired on the companies dime and looks to be in good condition based on the pictures.

The thing I'm actually holding against more than anything is the mileage of 235 or close to that I can't remember exactly. Based on that number the bike hasn't even been broken in and it could very well still have the original oil in it from the dealer out in CA. The owner mentioned he rode it couple time to and from work once he moved to MA but that was about it so it sounds like it ran last year.

I'm in the process of trying to get some more info. What kind of issues should I look out for when dealing with this kind of mileage?

Thanks.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Super low mileage, concerns?

if this was a bike that was raced for a few seasons then converted to street, it might have low mileage like that.

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

Lifer

It's a Honda. I wouldn't sweat it. Definatly change all the fluids, break it in the rest of the way proper, and enjoy it!

Is there a motorcycle car fax

That is 3 seasons some in Cali
    does stretch the credulity a tad

CAN an ecu bike be run without mileage accumulating ?

Check that the tires are OEM and should look NEW if notits bullshot
    Brake rotors pristine... grooved = BS
    Chain tensioning marks = BS

Glen Beck is John the Baptist

You can see the wear even if its a MINT BIKE....

Based on the bikes story I don't think it was raced.

The story the guy gave me was that he bought the bike as a left over in 2007, but did not insure it so it did not get ridden while out in Cali. That part seems odd but he said he ended up not having the money for insurance. The next year he took a job out in MA and left the bike behind at his parents place. Last year he had it shipped back out and only rode it a few times. I think based on that timeline it kind of makes sense.

Good tips, I'll make sure to check for OEM tires, rotors and the chain tensioning.

Happens all the time. If the mileage is accurate, buy it. You just got a good deal and a basically new bike. Don't worry at all.

However, the low miles doesn't make it worth any more. Don't overpay for the bike just because it's a virgin. How much does he want for it?

I have a 2007 GS500 sitting on my floor with 218 miles on it. Customer bought it, never rode it, and sold it back to us at a significant loss 2 years later.

Lifer

You can run a honda from 0 miles with no oil or antifreeze for a year and it would still be a fresh motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickniner View Post
    The story the guy gave me was that he bought the bike as a left over in 2007, but did not insure it so it did not get ridden while out in Cali. That part seems odd but he said he ended up not having the money for insurance.
    Do you realize how many people buy a motorcycle THEN get an insurance quote on it?

I saw this happen to 2 brand new R1's and an R6.

FWIW, I just scooped up a bike with uber-low mileage (347). I couldn't be more pleased because the pricing was 3000 short of a brand new model.

its a jap inline 4. buy it, ride it. race it. race it llike you stole it. you wont break it, i promise.

Quote Originally Posted by GixerJockey View Post
    Happens all the time. If the mileage is accurate, buy it. You just got a good deal and a basically new bike. Don't worry at all.

However, the low miles doesn't make it worth any more. Don't overpay for the bike just because it's a virgin. How much does he want for it?
    He's asking 5500, but I'm trying to get it for 5k with a set of stands thrown in. I've been looking a ton lately and that seems like a decent price. I've seen others for a little bit less but usually they have been a "down but it's no big deal" kind of situations.

too much, imo

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.297 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.1.20.0)

It's 4+ years old.
    I'd offer $5k max delivered.
    I would not worry about low milage however.

Ha yeah, it's easy to say that when you guys already have bikes to ride come spring.

I had to go through most of August and missed out on the nicer days in the fall because I sold my bike too early.I'm starting to get worried I won't have one for spring. I also want to find one before people start charging a premium because the weather has warmed up.

I'll be sticking to the 5k limit on this one anyway though.

Umm, I totaled my bike in August and picked up a replacement in late-October.

Oh and BTW, I was going to wait till spring but I couldn't pass up the deal on this bike.

Keep in mind, I paid about a grand more over your 2006 for a 2008. No one's charging premiums because the market just won't allow it.

$4300 or walk.

He's asking 5500, but I'm trying to get it for 5k with a set of stands thrown in. I've been looking a ton lately and that seems like a decent price. I've seen others for a little bit less but usually they have been a "down but it's no big deal" kind of situations.
    The price is "reasonable". But if he's asking $5500 then he's willing to negotiate. If you're a good negotiator, you can get this bike under 5k.

Brand new speedometer. The old one wore out.

Quote Originally Posted by bergs View Post
    Keep in mind, I paid about a grand more over your 2006 for a 2008. No one's charging premiums because the market just won't allow it.

$4300 or walk.
    I had to pass on a few great deals late last year because I wasn't ready to buy and I'm kicking myself for it. I think the market has already changed a bit since then and I'm just a little reluctant to really play hardball and end up paying more later on.

Quote Originally Posted by bergs View Post
    No one's charging premiums because the market just won't allow it.
    I'd be leary of this.. With Suzuki not importing Sportbikes this year and Yamaha cutting production numbers across the board and I am sure other manufacturers are doing the same, it's a supply and demand thing. It becomes a sellers market. IMO

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

I had to pass on a few great deals late last year because I wasn't ready to buy and I'm kicking myself for it. I think the market has already changed a bit since then and I'm just a little reluctant to really play hardball and end up paying more later on.
    I hear ya but don't forget how many great bikes there are out there for sale. Would you want to act in haste just to fill a void only to have the proverbial "why couldn't you put this bike up for sale a week ago" buyer's remorse?

What I paid on a 2008 is what the asking price was for a bike with many more miles.....the market average, if you will.

Obviously its your hard-earned money but I still think that 5500 is too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheppo View Post
    I'd be leary of this..
    I shall rephrase then...

...nearly everyone's "charging" premiums but hardly anyone is actually getting them.

4300 or walk? haha... lace up your nikes. If it's minty, I'd say $5500 shipped is fair. $5000 plus shipping? I've been looking for 06-09 R6's, they range from $5k to $7500. mileage doesn't change value? From what I see, it sure does. I think bikes drop a bit over the 10k mark. So, if I am planning on keeping a bike for a year or two, I would rather get one with 1k miles and be able to sell it again with under 10k, then buy one with 9k, and take the price drop.

However, I do think you could find a honda closer to home that you can go touch and feel before you buy, for as low as, if not lower than the $5500. ESPECIALLY with hondas because of the massive factory incentives.

Well the guy sent me some more info and detailed shots of the bike. It seems like a legit low mile '06. From some of the closeups the engine and exhaust (the parts of it I could see) looked spotless. The tires look brand new, the front still has the colored strip you see on some brand new tires.

He mentioned he changed the oil at the end of last season just to get ready for winter storage and it has a new battery from last year that has been on a tender for the winter. He sent me a video of the bike starting up cold. It sounded good. The guys seems like a pretty decent guy so I don't have anything so far to not believe him.

Since it sounds like the low mileage really isn't much of an issue like I was originally worried about I think I'm going to try and go take a look at it this weekend if the weather clears up by then.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitt View Post
    4300 or walk? haha... lace up your nikes.
    That's exactly the point. 5500 is too high for this bike.

Well the guy sent me some more info and detailed shots of the bike. It seems like a legit low mile '06. From some of the closeups the engine and exhaust (the parts of it I could see) looked spotless. The tires look brand new, the front still has the colored strip you see on some brand new tires.

He mentioned he changed the oil at the end of last season just to get ready for winter storage and it has a new battery from last year that has been on a tender for the winter. He sent me a video of the bike starting up cold. It sounded good. The guys seems like a pretty decent guy so I don't have anything so far to not believe him.

Since it sounds like the low mileage really isn't much of an issue like I was originally worried about I think I'm going to try and go take a look at it this weekend if the weather clears up by then.
    If you wanna know if it's truly low miles like that...look at the plastic behind the front wheel, if there's a few dings/scratches on it then he pulled the speedo wire and put miles on the bike. That's the best way to tell and the more miles on a bike the more you'll see little scratches and dings behind there. Those can't be hidden. Nipples should still be on the side of the tires as well...but tires can also be changed

JMO

Last edited by naked-daytrader; 02-23-10 at 03:11 PM.
    CCS|LRRS EX#49
    2006 KTM 560 SMR - 2006 Yamaha R6
    LRRS Rookie of the Year 2002-2006

Silver Bullet Commuter fjrrider RI's Avatar

Don't pay more than low book NADA or get burned.

Yamaha lover

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast