Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Rookie Weekend #246 Round 2

Rookie Weekend #246 Round 2

I've read a bunch of these reports for the last 1-2 years and now it's my time to try to sum up my race report, YEAH!

I ride a stock 2004 SV650.

I had taken the Penguin Track Experience on Monday to shake off the winter blues and to re-familiarize myself with the track by picking up the race lines and my reference points. I went over my 3 pages of notes from last summers track walk with Scott G. and Steve and watched a few you tube videos. Even after a long winter of strength and conditioning and some functional training I expected to be sore after this day. Nothing prepares you as much as actually doing. My quads were very sore leading up to Thursday morning but with continued stretching I was able to work most of that out.

Friday - Basic School

I packed the pickup Thursday night so I could get a quick getaway Friday morning. I planned to get up at 5am and leave at 5:30am but I was so anxious about the days events I could not/did not sleep much and was up at 3:19am. Just laid in bed until about 4:30am thinking about my schedule for the day.

Got to the track at 7am and had arranged with C. Dove to garage with him and Duncan in N9. Garage was closed up tight but did see CMP had their bikes all setup so I parked the truck next to the fence and started to unload. I didn't really start setting up much in the garage until I spoke with Chris to make sure I did not invade his space. Eventually Dove rolled up the box truck door and meandered down the ramp with his bunk-mate, Dixie. Eventually I setup shop for the weekend and went to registration and then onto tech. That was all painless as usual with the help of Cathy, Kelsey, and the everyone in tech. Thanks!

Waited for the announcement for the 8am meeting in the Penguin garage then put the tire warmers on. Eric had his usual meet and greet then we were on our way to our respective classrooms.

Steve went through his 1hr + intro and what was expect and so on. I really can't stand that guy Did the usually guided session and the rest of the day stuff that most of you already know about. Heard about one rider in my class taking a low side in T3 on the first guided out lap. I thought what was I getting myself into???? As the practice sessions went on I started to feel more and more confident.

I had read here about the infamous "Rookie Mock Start" but more about the real "Rookie Race Start". I was excited and mildly nervous about this as I didn't want to be "that guy", especially in the mock start. I was in the 2nd wave which was the lightweight bikes and in row 2. Steve explained the drill and I waited for the green flag. Revved it to only 3.5-4k so I wouldn't loop it and just as soon the the flag waved I bolted out and split the 2 guys in front of me. I had no issues at all and cruised into T1. This ain't soo bad after all but again, it didn't mean much. Regardless, there were still about 20 people hanging out in hot pit eating popcorn and waiting to see what was going to happen. This session was cut short as someone fell in T9 and spread rocks across the apex and about the width of the track. I had to stand the bike up and maneuvered through and around the debris and was still able to take the turn calm, cool, and collective. The guy in front of me made it in to the grass with the bike upright.

Met with the group back in the Media center and received our test back and Certificate. Passed that portion of the school now and on to registration. I had heard how long this is sometimes but I was in and out in about 30mins it seemed. Brenda, Lori, and staff (sorry I could not retain all of their names) were great and I was signed up for the rookie race and Race 9 on Saturday and Race 2 and 12 on Sunday. I put in for my 3 choices of number and got my 2nd choice, #246. No Dove`, this had nothing to do with you! Puttered around the the garage for a while and left around 9:30pm to get something to eat. Brookeside it was.

Saturday

I thought it might be a good idea to reduce my stress as much as I could so I stayed at the Red Roof for the weekend to get some good nights sleep. Woke up at 6am left by 6:45am knowing I still had to get my numbers from Myles and go through tech. After a few weeks of reading and wiring what did/did not need to be, I passed tech with no issues. Did the first practice session just to get back on the bike and took it easy to work on the lines and etc. Second session started to rain so I passed on the practice. No need to risk going down and not being able to make rookie race. Went to the morning mandatory rookies meeting and Steve walked us through the process again. Did I mention I can't stand that guy???

Rookie Race

Track mostly dried up but after hearing Eric describe T2 exit and a couple other spots I had little intention of pushing it. I just wanted to finish the race. Sighting lap made me aware that the race line was very good so I had little concern but still listened to his advice.

Found my grid position and I was on the pole. Doubt that will ever happen again. First wave went out and now my turn. Took a quick glance at hot pit lane and there were considerable many more people lined up compared to the mock start. I Turned to the starters station and said FU and waited for the 1 board and the green flag. Had another good start and was in the lead until tip in when Fredrick S. passed me into T1. Damn it but he had proven to be faster than me since Friday. Oh well. Missed a couple of downshifts and he started to gap me before the first lap so I just settled in and had the mindset to just finish the race without incident.

Results: 2nd place 1:42.469

Race 6

I was still excited but more settled down. I was in row 3, got a good start, and end up in about 6th going into T1. I don't remember a whole lot here besides catching up to Isaac M. #871 going into the bowl and not being able to really pass him safely but I was right on his tail. I set myself up for a pass out of T12 and just throttled my way by past him at the checkered by 1/2 of a bike length. It was a good feeling and I'm sure we'll meet again.

Results: 1:36.346

Went to the awards ceremony in victory lane to experience that and it was pretty cool. Such commodore among you all is nice to see after battling it out on the track. Got the podium and my 2nd place medal.

My brother actually made a surprise 2 1/2hr trip appearance and arrived right after my 2nd race which was great to see him although he did not see the race.

Sunday

Woke a little later as I did not have as much to do at the track prior to practice so I got some descent sleep. Seemed like I waited forever to get my practice in for the day (session 7) and did only about 8 mins of it just to loosen up as I was in Race 2. This went well.

Race 2

Was in with most of the more experienced novice group whom are on the bump threshold. They can only motivate me more to push my limits. This was by far the best race of the weekend for me. Pretty uneventful so 2 days later I don't recall much other than posting a PR. I know many past me at one time or another but I just ran my own race and will leave it at that.

Results: 1:32.746

Race 12

I waited most of the day for this race which proved to be too long of a wait without another race in between. In the future I'll either add a race or leave early but after a good race 2 I felt like I needed to stay to get more seat time. I was grid up in row 2 with Colin in front me and Stephanie two spots to his right. I had a great start and was in 3rd behind those two going into T1. Didn't take long for the them to gap me so I just worked on my lines and inputs. I think it was the 3rd lap entering T3 with a few bikes on my right as I was tipping in and had to readjust my line to the outside combined with a missed downshift prior to tip in I lost a whole bunch of positions coming out of T3. In T6 ran wide and mother F'd myself but by T9 I settled myself down and focused on trying to turn some good laps. Not a great finish of my rookie weekend but know I can do better.

Results: 1:35.065

Many highlights to the weekend but I wanted to thank everyone at Penguin for guiding me through the process and my mentor's Chris and Duncan for helping me with the specifics for preparing myself and the bike for each race. All this looks somewhat trivial but there is more strategy involved then I expected. All of the corner workers were good and fortunately I didn't need much of their assistance in a good way. I'm sure they did more than I realize to keep me safe.

I know I'm missing many others but just want to thank the LRRS community for all the good that you have brought to my life.

Just a little story......My 5 year old nephew showed up on Sunday with his mother and I gave him my medal. My brother had to peel him off my bike during a track day last July as he wanted to go out with me during a session so he was pretty excited to be there. When they were ready to leave he came to give me a hug and to my surprise he said "I will never give away my medal to anyone". That just makes it so much more worth it than anything else.

Will catch some of you at the Classic in more ways than you know.

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2004 SV650
    1979 GS 850GN
    2005 Tt-r125
    NEMRR #246 - Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersports

Re: Rookie Weekend #246 Round 2

You did a GREAT job, Todd!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.