Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

RSP Racing # 86 - Round 1

RSP Racing # 86 - Round 1

For 2014, I'm riding a completely different bike, in a completely new class, and focusing on only one race for the season. As such, my race program has undergone some fundamental changes, and with that will come some ups and down.

I arrived at the track Wednesday night, around 11. RSP teammate Brian Kelly (90) was already there, and helped me unload and get the trailer emptied into the garage so I could set up my living quarters for the better part of the next week. We BS for awhile, checked out each others new bikes some, and I turned in for bed.

Thursday was tire day; MTAG had almost 200 tires delivered directly to NHMS earlier in the week, and Brian helped me get them unpacked and sorted. I set up shop, and hung out for the remainder of the day as my teammates continued to arrive.

Friday was the first chance to test the new bike, a 2008 Yamaha WR250x for use in the new Formula 300 race class. I made some gearing changes before even riding it, after realizing some calculations I made had been in error when setting it up. Part of the adventure this season is that no one is racing this model, so I'm figuring it out as I go along. Tony and Graham helped me make some tweaks to the suspension settings after each session on Friday, having had the forks and shock revalved and resprung for racing by Peter Kates at GMD Computrack before the race season began. I think I'll end up dialing that even stiffer as I pick up some speed on the bike, but for now it works. I did have a chance to turn some laps with Bruce Marshall (398) on his EX250R, which was good because it's difficult to get a sense of pace when the next lowest HP bikes out there are 125GP bikes with twice the power and half the weight. Bruce and I are roughly the same speed on SVs, and we were running roughly equal on the smaller bikes. The Ninja definitely didn't run out of speed on the straight, where my WR was into 6th gear by the start/finish line and running flat before the 4 board even with the additional bit of power provided by the custom map from Dyno Solutions. I'll need to continue playing with the gearing, and increase my exit speed out of 12, to not get outdragged by the sportbikes in the class going forward. I got four sessions in, and managed to gradually get the times down, but there's still a lot to be done. I was clearly not going to be "up to speed" on the new bike in time for my first race, and with my intent to only run one class, each round's finish position takes on a new importance.

Saturday I woke up to conditions that looked an awful lot like rain was on the horizon. I do have spare wheels and rains for the WR, but the front rotor is incorrect for the bike, so I need to actually swap the tire from wheel to wheel. Since I had just ridden the bike yesterday, and wasn't going to make any gains in two short, wet, cold practice sessions, I opted to sit out both sessions.

Formula 300, Round 1: 2nd place

With only 4 bikes on the grid, and 2 of us on full rains, I knew my odds of getting a decent finish here were pretty solid. This may be the first time I've ever considered rain a lucky break for me, as it would hopefully equal things out. Right out of the gate, Roger Ealy Jr (823) was off like a shot on his Ninja 300. He was out of site by the end of the first lap, and will clearly be the guy to beat in this class. Jon Vaughan (33), who did the full 2013 season on his Ninja 250, got by me up the hill on lap 1, after I missed a downshift into T3, and I chased him through the back section. I came close to trying to make a pass in T9, but chose to hold off because it was early in the race and Ealy was clearly out of either of our range. As it turns out, that was the right call, because Jon lowsided inches off my front wheel making the flip for T10, putting me into a (distant) second place by the time I first crossed the S/F line. A look back plus the signals from my teammates on pit wall told me I had a decent gap on Bruce (who had also tipped over in T10 earlier before the race, and was likely to be very conservative because of it), so I just trackday'ed the shit out of the remaining laps, and essentially coasted into my first Expert podium finish. I could not have asked for a luckier break, really, because I wasn't ready to be competitive yet in a straight up dry race.

I'd like to thank my teammates, my MTAG partners, and all the friends and racing family for all the fun this weekend. The weather wasn't great, but we made the most of it. Hopefully May holds some warmth and sunshine for us. I've got some work to do on the WR still with gearing, and I need to learn how to ride the damn thing, but yesterday's laps and the laps I'll get on Monday before Round 2 with Tony's Track Days will go a long way. I'm hoping that in a dry Round 2, I can run a competitive race.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: RSP Racing # 86 - Round 1

Once again! Pleasure spending the best weekends of the year with you.
    Glad to see you happy and having fun again on the bike. New bike new races new joy.

Now let me fucking wheelie it

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thanks again for letting me try it out on Monday!

I forgot to ask, do you use the clutch while shifting? The first few laps, I did, but then I stopped using the clutch for both up and down shifts and it behaved fine. Of course, I wasn't pushing it so clutchless downshifting might not be a good idea at race pace, but it worked fine without wiggling the backend at my slow pace. Anyways, it was fun taking it out for a spin!

Roland Arsenault
    LRRS and USCRA #763
    2012, 2013 and 2015 Big Fish Small Pond Champion
    "The 4 board is an upshift marker, not a brake marker"

Quote Originally Posted by rolker View Post
    Thanks again for letting me try it out on Monday!

I forgot to ask, do you use the clutch while shifting? The first few laps, I did, but then I stopped using the clutch for both up and down shifts and it behaved fine. Of course, I wasn't pushing it so clutchless downshifting might not be a good idea at race pace, but it worked fine without wiggling the backend at my slow pace. Anyways, it was fun taking it out for a spin!
    Shhhh...the line of people who want to ride that scooter is long, but the line of people who have is very short.

The only time I used the clutch was when I was trying to get into 7th gear.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Great job out there in round 1 Mike. Looking forward to getting back out there in May for Formula 300. It was a tough race for me. This was my expert debut and I did the most Novice of moves... I fell on the warm up lap in turn 10. I was running DOT's which was clearly the wrong tire choice. The corner workers helped me get the bike up and going again and I probably only held the grid up for a minute. I saw the right side foot peg was shortened but it looked like there was enough to run the race so I kept going. We are under powered compared to the Ninja 300's, and you even more so than I am. The remaining rounds should be a lot of fun and hopefully a few more bikes will make their way onto the grid.

Quote Originally Posted by lrrs398 View Post
    Great job out there in round 1 Mike. Looking forward to getting back out there in May for Formula 300. It was a tough race for me. This was my expert debut and I did the most Novice of moves... I fell on the warm up lap in turn 10. I was running DOT's which was clearly the wrong tire choice. The corner workers helped me get the bike up and going again and I probably only held the grid up for a minute. I saw the right side foot peg was shortened but it looked like there was enough to run the race so I kept going. We are under powered compared to the Ninja 300's, and you even more so than I am. The remaining rounds should be a lot of fun and hopefully a few more bikes will make their way onto the grid.
    For sure Bruce, that was a rough way to start the race, but good on you for rolling up to the grid rather than rolling into the pits. I agree this race should shape up to be quite fun as the season goes on!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Kurtz View Post
    Shhhh...the line of people who want to ride that scooter is long, but the line of people who have is very short.

The only time I used the clutch was when I was trying to get into 7th gear.
    Wow, I feel special to be on such an exclusive list! I suggest you require proof of track experience on a 250cc or less bike before letting anyone else try it.

Speaking of the 7th gear, where is it??? I looked for it almost every lap!!

Roland Arsenault
    LRRS and USCRA #763
    2012, 2013 and 2015 Big Fish Small Pond Champion
    "The 4 board is an upshift marker, not a brake marker"

Quote Originally Posted by rolker View Post
    Wow, I feel special to be on such an exclusive list! I suggest you require proof of track experience on a 250cc or less bike before letting anyone else try it.
    RSP Racing # 86 - Round 1-_k5c5820s-jpg

141cc, Fishtail track day. When do I get to try?

Nice Nice Report. Can a KTM 250 2T motard be run in this class?

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctous View Post
    Nice Nice Report. Can a KTM 250 2T motard be run in this class?
    Negative, the only bikes allowed are those explicitly noted in the rules.

Yup just downloaded the rulebook. That would be THE bike huh? Even better the 300 KTM. I bet the 300 would give the 450 motards a good run.