Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Motorcycle GPS

Motorcycle GPS

Howdy folks- anyone here use a gps on their motorcycle? What model, how much did it cost, how is it mounted, etc etc. I'm looking into buying one, but the motorcycle specific ones are mega expensive compared to the car ones. Anyone who can weigh in on this matter it'd be greatly appreciated, thanks.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Motorcycle GPS

the motorcycle ones are more water proof. that is the big reason to get a motorcycle one..

Seth
    LRRS/CCS NV #256

2007 Ducati S2R1000 Street
    2000 Triumph TT600 Track For Sale
    1984 Honda Magna needing reassembly.
    1974 Honda CB 750 needs wiring
    1974 Honda CB 350 needs engine work

I have a garmin nuvi 250w. You can get them for around $225, It has all the basic features and then some. To make it waterproof, just slip it inside a Zip lock sandwich bag. I have it mounted with a custom mount I made, which looks a lot cleaner then the Ram Mounts.

Quote Originally Posted by -jro- View Post
    Howdy folks- anyone here use a gps on their motorcycle? What model, how much did it cost, how is it mounted, etc etc. I'm looking into buying one, but the motorcycle specific ones are mega expensive compared to the car ones. Anyone who can weigh in on this matter it'd be greatly appreciated, thanks.
    I can just give you simple directions to my house...

No need to spend all that money for nothing.

My dad takes a cross country trip on his VTX once a year and he just uses a Nuvi 205 with an ebay handlebar ball mount. Priced under $200 it's a good way to get GPS on the bike. If it rains, cover it with a bag or just put it away. He has it hardwired to the bike's battery but the battery lasts awhile if you don't want to get that elaborate.

I've got a Zumo 550 on my Triumph. Benefits of motorcycle-specific include "waterproofness" and bigger buttons on the screen (for use with gloves on).

Opted for a Chome TechMount over the RAM mount.

I've got the Tomtom Rider, and I don't recommend it. When mounted to the bike, the battery doesn't charge (it has to be pressed up against the little contacts just right, and any little bit of motion causes the connection to be lost). I'm glad it was a gift, because otherwise I'd be pissed at dropping $500 on something that is barely usable on longer rides. It is also freaking HUGE and does not store well in a pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by SV650N View Post
    I've got the Tomtom Rider, and I don't recommend it. When mounted to the bike, the battery doesn't charge (it has to be pressed up against the little contacts just right, and any little bit of motion causes the connection to be lost). I'm glad it was a gift, because otherwise I'd be pissed at dropping $500 on something that is barely usable on longer rides. It is also freaking HUGE and does not store well in a pocket.
    aha k good cuz I was looking at that one. And yea, it costs something like $650 now and thats a bit more than I would prefer to spend.

ok, another question: do any of you folks use the verbal command option? I was considering plugging in head phones and just listening to directions instead of constantly looking down at the screen. Think this could work?

i used the voice command when i used my PDA as a gps. but that was because i did not have it mounted and it worked great. i also use the voice in the car on long trips and find it quite helpful. but you don't "need" it.

Seth
    LRRS/CCS NV #256

Yeah you don't "need" voice assist but it sure is nice when you're fighting traffic not to have to look down and try to figure out the distance to the next turn or the name of the next road.

I know I posted something like this before but I don't remember where. If you are afraid you'll get lost and need to find your way home, the lower end models will work fine. If you're out of gas, hungry or sleepy, the lower end units will find the amenities you're after. If you're planning a motorcycle trip, the lower end models are just going to give you the quickest route from where you are to where you're going. They might let you insert one "via way point" but that's it. On a motorcycle, that's probably not the way you want to go. As an example, the route I just took is posted below. Those 30 way points were required in the route to keep the GPS guiding me to the roads I wanted to travel by bike. A lower end model would have sent me north on I89 and south on I87. The Zumo accepts way points and routes, many Nuvis do not. You're going to pay more, but you may not be getting what you really want for less.

Big thanks to everyone thats been so helpful. I think ideally I would prefer a GPS that I could plug head phones into for verbal prompts, the reasons being 1) Some GPS devices don't handle bike vibration well, so keeping it in my backpack/pocket can ease the vibration on it 2) keeping it in my pocket/back pack will help battle the elements/rain 3) Save the money/aggravation of putting a mount on the bike 4) I'd prefer the verbal prompts over looking down at a screen.

Anyone know of a GPS unit with a headphone jack? The handful of car GPS systems I've looked at don't have it, and really that's all I want to satisfy my needs.

Zumo 550.. plus it has MP3 player stuff. that is the one i am going to get

Seth
    LRRS/CCS NV #256

Quote Originally Posted by QuarterGig View Post
    Zumo 550.. plus it has MP3 player stuff. that is the one i am going to get
    Suggested Retail Price: $ 964.27 USD - ouch!!

oh another question- any of these things come with radio communication (not interested in the blue tooth phone stuff) Itd be nice to have a GPS/radio so I could communicate with my bf on rides. We bought walkie talkies and helmet speakers but they suck

oh another question- any of these things come with radio communication (not interested in the blue tooth phone stuff) Itd be nice to have a GPS/radio so I could communicate with my bf on rides. We bought walkie talkies and helmet speakers but they suck

When you find a GPS with the built in Comms and Radar detector, let me know.

White Horse gear sells a unit that interfaces all these devices together via earphone connections (~$200?), but an all-in-one unit doesn't exist as far as I know.

that is why i don't have it yet.

you should be able to find it for closer to $800

Seth
    LRRS/CCS NV #256

Quote Originally Posted by QuarterGig View Post
    that is why i don't have it yet.

you should be able to find it for closer to $800
    well I don't know what the catch is, but this website is advertising as low as $429

Everyprice : Price Comparison Network » Garmin zumo 550 Motorcycle GPS System » GPS Navigation » Car Audio/Video & Radar Detectors » Electronics

WOW!

Seth
    LRRS/CCS NV #256

Read the reviews online. Not the bogus ones they list, instead google "Presige Camera reviews" and you should find what real people have to say about the buying experience.

I have several GPS units currently.

Three car ones (two Nuvi 200s and a TomTom One), one bike Gps (Zumo450), and a Garmin GPSMap60CS.

GPSMap60CS is an outdoor unit, also good for marine and hiking. This thing has worked wonders during torrential downpours. The screen is amazing, it's actually easier to see when the sun hits it. The major flaw: storage. You can only load sections of maps at a time, 50MB worth (typically a full state or two, but not much more). They have a newer version of this on the market.

Zumo450 - Just like the 550, but without the bluetooth. I think my wife got mine for christmas about $450 shipped (buydig.com currently 384, 550 -> $618). I've used it occasionally and really like it on the bike. Big screen, easy to use buttons, like everyone else said. No bad stories here. Major flaw: fricken expensive.

Nuvi200 - It's a Garmin, I paid $100 for it, it works, no frills. I don't know if it will run stored routes, I suspect because it's the cheap version it won't.

TomTom One - Good unit, liked the software, liked the customization, add-in applications. Not enough mainstream support.

I've used RAM mounts for both the units I've had on the bike and they're not that bad when you take the arm/cradle off. I've been leaving the 450 cradle on because I like where it is and don't want to have to fidget to get it back there.

One of the things that really makes a difference to me is the planning software. I tend to layout routes ahead of time and upload them to the GPS. Garmin's Mapsource is the ticket for doing that. TomTom's software sucks.

If I was going to buy a new unit today, it'd still probably be the Zumo, but I'd likely get the 550 to handle the bluetooth with the audible directions and music player.

I've seen people using the Nuvi's on their bikes with it suction cupped to their gas tank and that just freaks me out. I'm not keen on the idea of a $100 gadget bouncing down the highway because some suction cup stopped working.

Cheese, send me that map file for the VT TRIP!

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

i have a Magellan something..it has a headphone jack, but its also the charging jack, and you would need a USB headset.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Autocom

I have Autocom headset in my helmet and controller under seat, Zumo 540 is plugged in, and ia also my mp3 player, my V-1 will overrided, cell phone stayes in my pocket, and talks with my autocom via bluetooth, I also have FRS

headset is noise cancelling so sound quality is just as good at 100mph as it is at 30 mph

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

I'm a Mac, and I ride. bryan217's Avatar

I know this is an old thread, but I'm new here and came across it. I noticed jro never said which GPS unit she ended up with. I'm curious. I got a Navigon 2100 Max for Christmas. I haven't tried it on the bike yet, but plan to. So far I love it for the car, but not sure how I'll like it on the bike. It has the spoken street names, but it won't do me any good on the bike because there's no speaker jack. But I'm probably going to bring it on a few rides this year as I like to try out different roads. It just might help me from getting lost.

I never got one....just can't justify spending on it, damn the bank account is hurting

USCRA #555 - Formula CB
    http://jro555.tumblr.com/

No need for all that techno-gizmology. A tank bag with a map in it have gotten many-a-rider lost plenty of times. I mean, who really "wants" to be out riding and actually have an idea as to where they're going?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast