Results 1 to 23 of 23

How to inflate your tires with WD40

  1. #1
    Member Cambridge K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Cambridge,Ma
    Posts
    223

    How to inflate your tires with WD40



    0 Not allowed!

  2. #2
    Grizzly Fuckin Adams dhuze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    woonsocket ri
    Age
    47
    Posts
    4,902

    Re: How to inflate your tires with WD40

    You use ether not WD40. And it doesnt inflate the tire. It just seats it on the rim.

    0 Not allowed!

  3. #3
    Angry Gumball RandyO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Farmington, NH
    Age
    61
    Posts
    9,567

    Re: How to inflate your tires with WD40

    Quote Originally Posted by dhuze View Post
    You use ether not WD40. And it doesnt inflate the tire. It just seats it on the rim.

    original formula wd40 was flamable, but it hasn't been flamable for 20+ years

    0 Not allowed!

  4. #4
    Ense petit placidam sandman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    sema
    Age
    51
    Posts
    1,122

    Re: How to inflate your tires with WD40

    Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    original formula wd40 was flamable, but it hasn't been flamable for 20+ years
    unless they changed the formula in the past 6 months. for the past 20+ years it HAS been very flamable.

    starting fluid works even better on a truck tire, but i must admit iv'e never tried it on a mc tire.

    0 Not allowed!

  5. #5
    Angry Gumball RandyO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Farmington, NH
    Age
    61
    Posts
    9,567

    Re: How to inflate your tires with WD40

    Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    unless they changed the formula in the past 6 months. for the past 20+ years it HAS been very flamable.
    .
    it burns, but does not create explosive fumes like ether, the aerosol propelent used to be flamable as well many years ago, it no longer works good as fuel for potato guns

    0 Not allowed!

  6. #6
    Senior Member caddydaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Gales Ferry, CT
    Posts
    619

    Re: How to inflate your tires with WD40

    Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    original formula wd40 was flamable, but it hasn't been flamable for 20+ years
    The Material Data Safety Sheet (MSDS) from the manufacturer lists the flash point as 131 degrees F. That would make it flammable!

    http://www.wd40.com/files/pdf/msds-wd494716385.pdf

    0 Not allowed!

  7. #7
    Member Cambridge K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Cambridge,Ma
    Posts
    223

    Re: How to inflate your tires with WD40

    Fire lube

    0 Not allowed!

  8. #8
    Lifer richw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Baltic,CT
    Age
    66
    Posts
    4,523

    Re: How to inflate your tires with WD40

    beans candle then wait

    I use starting fluid myself

    0 Not allowed!

  9. #9
    Angry Gumball RandyO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Farmington, NH
    Age
    61
    Posts
    9,567

    Re: How to inflate your tires with WD40

    Quote Originally Posted by caddydaddy View Post
    The Material Data Safety Sheet (MSDS) from the manufacturer lists the flash point as 131 degrees F. That would make it flammable!

    http://www.wd40.com/files/pdf/msds-wd494716385.pdf
    like I said, it burns, it won't ignite from a spark at room temp, unlike ether that has a flash point of about 50 below zero

    years ago, the propelant that WD40 used in it's aerosol product had a low flash point and it could be used as potatoe gun fuel, not anymore

    0 Not allowed!

  10. #10
    Top Banana DuncanMoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    4,951

    Re: How to inflate your tires with WD40


    0 Not allowed!

  11. #11
    '12 Tuono & '02 R6 Eric Baker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Reading
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,088

    Re: How to inflate your tires with WD40

    Brake clean/carb clean/starter fluid works better. Hell even hairspray in pinch would do.

    0 Not allowed!

  12. #12
    Junior Member screamingbuick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Hadley, MA.
    Posts
    18

    Re: How to inflate your tires with WD40

    I wouldn't use either, right down the street from my house a guy was using ether on a truck tire and static ignited it, the rim took his head right off and proceeded thru the shop roof...i wasn't there but i bet it wasn't a pretty site.

    0 Not allowed!

  13. #13
    F.Y.Y.F.F jcbell1007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,685

    Re: How to inflate your tires with WD40

    Quote Originally Posted by screamingbuick View Post
    I wouldn't use either, right down the street from my house a guy was using ether on a truck tire and static ignited it, the rim took his head right off and proceeded thru the shop roof...i wasn't there but i bet it wasn't a pretty site.
    same thing happened to a mechanic in my home town. though he didn't lose his head, he almost lost his leg and 90% of the hearing in is left ear.

    call me a wuss but ether is explosive and I won't be mounting a tire that way.

    0 Not allowed!

  14. #14
    Senior Member Pestilence's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Salem MA - Soon.. Sandy Eggo CA!!!
    Age
    43
    Posts
    431

    Re: How to inflate your tires with WD40

    If you've ever gone off-roading in BFE and popped a bead, you better have a can of starter fluid and lighter in the glove box or you're in for a shitty afternoon.

    Just remember to remove the valve stem or the tire will implode back in on it self.

    0 Not allowed!

  15. #15
    turning water into watts Woodsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Littleton, Ma
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,188

    Re: How to inflate your tires with WD40

    Quote Originally Posted by screamingbuick View Post
    I wouldn't use either, right down the street from my house a guy was using ether on a truck tire and static ignited it, the rim took his head right off and proceeded thru the shop roof...i wasn't there but i bet it wasn't a pretty site.
    There is no way this happened.

    0 Not allowed!

  16. #16
    Super Duper Anti Squid Doc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Jericho, VT
    Posts
    20,257

    Re: How to inflate your tires with WD40

    Quote Originally Posted by caddydaddy View Post
    The Material Data Safety Sheet (MSDS) from the manufacturer lists the flash point as 131 degrees F. That would make it flammable!

    http://www.wd40.com/files/pdf/msds-wd494716385.pdf
    No. The flash point is the lowest point at which a liquid can become ignitable. Thus making it inflamable.


    131 degrees is not as inflamable as gasoline which flash point is something like -30 degrees.

    Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    like I said, it burns, it won't ignite from a spark at room temp, unlike ether that has a flash point of about 50 below zero

    years ago, the propelant that WD40 used in it's aerosol product had a low flash point and it could be used as potatoe gun fuel, not anymore
    Sorry... Randy got it.

    0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by Doc; 03-02-10 at 06:49 AM.

  17. #17
    Senior Member caddydaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Gales Ferry, CT
    Posts
    619

    Re: How to inflate your tires with WD40

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    No. The flash point is the lowest point at which a liquid can become ignitable. Thus making it inflamable.


    131 degrees is not as inflamable as gasoline which flash point is something like -30 degrees.

    Edit:


    Sorry... Randy got it.
    No, the flash point is the temperature when the vapors can maintain a flame. The first three words of the "hazards identification" section of the MSDS I provided say "DANGER! Flammable aerosol."
    Just because it won't explode like ether or gasoline doesn't mean it won't flame up with a match!

    0 Not allowed!

  18. #18
    Lifer obsolete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Norf Sho
    Age
    34
    Posts
    10,499

    Re: How to inflate your tires with WD40

    Quote Originally Posted by caddydaddy View Post
    No, the flash point is the temperature when the vapors can maintain a flame. The first three words of the "hazards identification" section of the MSDS I provided say "DANGER! Flammable aerosol."
    Just because it won't explode like ether or gasoline doesn't mean it won't flame up with a match!
    No flash point means it can ignite but may or may not be able to maintain a flame. That's why it is the "flash" point, because you can get a flash of flame but no burn.

    0 Not allowed!

  19. #19
    Lifer obsolete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Norf Sho
    Age
    34
    Posts
    10,499

    Re: How to inflate your tires with WD40

    For the record: Inflammable = flammable

    Also I believe the limit for flash point for flammable liquids is 100F, anything above would be combustable to another temp which would determine non-combustable.

    0 Not allowed!
    Last edited by obsolete; 03-02-10 at 08:01 AM.

  20. #20
    Lifer richw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Baltic,CT
    Age
    66
    Posts
    4,523

    Re: How to inflate your tires with WD40

    Large truck tires have bead rings that are worked on after the tire

    These can and do come off with great violence

    Old milk can
    Calcium Carbide

    good times good times

    0 Not allowed!

  21. #21
    Rider. Just a rider... DucDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Southern NH
    Age
    63
    Posts
    8,921

    Re: How to inflate your tires with WD40

    Quote Originally Posted by richw View Post
    Large truck tires have bead rings that are worked on after the tire

    These can and do come off with great violence

    Old milk can
    Calcium Carbide

    good times good times
    Newer truck don't have the rings anymore. I used to change those and we always used a cage when inflating...

    0 Not allowed!

  22. #22
    KB KB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Manchester NH
    Age
    42
    Posts
    8,268

    Re: How to inflate your tires with WD40

    I love a nice ether explosion, and a nice ether binge.

    KB

    0 Not allowed!

  23. #23
    Getting Busy. JettaJayGLS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Brookline
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,357

    Re: How to inflate your tires with WD40

    Did this with ether to mount 225s on a 10inch wheel back in the day on my jetta....actually really easy to do.

    0 Not allowed!

Similar Threads

  1. Tires???
    By Paul_E_D in forum Dirty Bastards
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-24-08, 09:04 PM
  2. tires
    By Nikon in forum Dirty Bastards
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-13-08, 07:11 AM
  3. Tires
    By Nikon in forum General Bike Related
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 09-30-06, 06:06 AM
  4. New Tires...
    By Stoneman in forum Off-Topic Stuff
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-09-05, 06:09 AM
  5. tires tires tires free tires
    By beet in forum General Bike Related
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 12-16-03, 10:10 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •